Latest on Tim Brewster at FSU

He loves recruiting more than Kyle Kesell.

I'd take him as a TE coach/recruiting coordinator any day of the week.

Yes, he does, although Kyle Kessell, if I recall, loves recruiting a lot.

Ditto. Great energy and passion for recruiting, just wasn't/isn't head coach material.

Bewster Year Two- 3 Big Ten wins and minor bowl loss (and spent several weeks in the top 25).
Kill Year Two- 2 Big Ten wins and minor bowl loss.

If Kill has a third year similar to Brewster: 3 Big Ten wins and loss in a minor bowl, will he be on the chopping block like Brewster was?

Yet on this board there are threads about Kill going to the Rose Bowl and Brewster being a disaster.

Bewster Year Two- 3 Big Ten wins and minor bowl loss (and spent several weeks in the top 25).

If Kill has a third year similar to Brewster: 3 Big Ten wins and loss in a minor bowl, will he be on the chopping block like Brewster was?

Yet on this board there are threads about Kill going to the Rose Bowl and Brewster being a disaster.
Kill is far better at managing expectations. I think Brewster's downfall started the second he started promising Rose Bowls and Big Ten Championships, and fans were gullible enough to believe him. Kill should be feeling the heat if next season has no improvement in wins (especially in conference) and if he starts 1-6 the next season there should be some questions about his status.

Kill is far better at managing expectations. I think Brewster's downfall started the second he started promising Rose Bowls and Big Ten Championships, and fans were gullible enough to believe him. Kill should be feeling the heat if next season has no improvement in wins (especially in conference) and if he starts 1-6 the next season there should be some questions about his status.

Get your facts straight. Tim Brewster NEVER promised a Rose Bowl or Big 10 Championship. What he said was that every year it is going to be the Gohers GOAL to win the Rose Bowl. The local media sh*theads turned that into a promise. What Brewster said is exactly the kind of thing I want to hear from the Gopher football coach.

And what I don't want to hear is the new coach say that the previous coach left me too many sh*tty players to win. Jerry Kill has been makjng that excuse every chance he has had for the last two years. Tim Brewster never criticized his players even one time even though Mason left him horrendous recruiting classes in 2005, 2006, and 2007. If you want proof of Mason's crummy recruiting classes after 2003 let me know. I have posted the evidence a half dozen times and nobody in GopherHole has challenged that evidence even one time.

Actually, you need to see what each coach inherited; Brewster had a team that went 6-7 the previous year, while Kill had a 3-9 team (1-9 under Brewster). They're not apples to apples. Ski-U-Master is correct in the managing expectations, but also seeing the turnstile of Asst Coaches, different schemes, overall confusion among the coaches and players, and several losses to FCS opponents put the nail in the coffin.

Actually, you need to see what each coach inherited; Brewster had a team that went 6-7 the previous year, while Kill had a 3-9 team (1-9 under Brewster). They're not apples to apples.

Mason Recruits who started all 12 games in 2007 (Brewster's First Year)

1. Tony Brinkhaus - RS Senior
2. Ernie Wheelright - RS Senior
3. Dominque Barber - Senior
4. Todd Meisel - Senior
5. Eric Decker - RS Soph
6. Lee Campell - Soph
7. Adam Weber - RS Fresh

Total games started in 2007 by Mason's 2005 recruiting class

- Steve Davis (Jr) (8 games)
- Eric Decker (RS So) (12 games)
- Ryan Ruckdashel (RS So) (2 games)
- Ned Tavale (RS So) (7 games)
- Jay Thomas (RS So) (1 game)

*Transfers/Walk-ons

- Kevin Manion (Jr) (3 games)
- Nick Tow-Arnett (RS So) (2 games)
- Jeff Tow-Arnett (RS So) (1 game)

Brewster Recruits who started at least 5 games in 2007 as True Freshman or Transfers/Walk-ons

1. Duane Bennett - 7
2. Ryan Collado - 9
3. Tray Herndon - 7
4. Ralph Spry - 6
5. Kyle Theret - 6
6. Curtis Thomas -5
7. Eric Small - 6
8. D. Onwuachi - 5

True Freshman who started in the Defensive Backfield in 2007

- Ryan Collado (Fr) (9 games)
- Kyle Theret (Fr) (6 games)
- Curtis Thomas Fr) (5 games)

Mason Recruits who started all 12 games in 2007 (Brewster's First Year)

1. Tony Brinkhaus - RS Senior
2. Ernie Wheelright - RS Senior
3. Dominque Barber - Senior
4. Todd Meisel - Senior
5. Eric Decker - RS Soph
6. Lee Campell - Soph
7. Adam Weber - RS Fresh

Brewster Recruits who started at least 5 games in 2007 as True Freshman or Transfers/Walk-ons

1. Duane Bennett - 7
2. Ryan Collado - 9
3. Tray Herndon - 7
4. Ralph Spry - 6
5. Kyle Theret - 6
6. Curtis Thomas -5
7. Eric Small - 6
8. D. Onwuachi - 5

What is the point of these lists?

I can't speak for everyone else but I think part of the reason for that is because Kill has previous experience and seems to have more of a plan. Brewster had no previous experience, and had already changed coordinators and the offense several times.

GophersInIowa said:
I can't speak for everyone else but I think part of the reason for that is because Kill has previous experience and seems to have more of a plan. Brewster had no previous experience, and had already changed coordinators and the offense several times.

And in year 4 he lost to South Dakota. Enough said. I promise if Jerry Kill loses to a D1-AA school in year 4 he will be gone or on an extremely hot seat.

And in year 4 he lost to South Dakota. Enough said. I promise if Jerry Kill loses to a D1-AA school in year 4 he will be gone or on an extremely hot seat.

And South Dakota wasn't even a good FCS school. They were 4-7 and ranked #175 in Sagarin. NSDU was #71 in 2007 and #35 in 2012. Brewster's seat might not have been all that hot going into the game, but it was on FIRE after the USD game. Kill's seat will warm up if the Gophers lose to Eastern Illinois (ranked #119 in 2012), but the takedown of New Hamphshire showed the Gophers could solidly beat a team they were supposed to.

And South Dakota wasn't even a good FCS school. They were 4-7 and ranked #175 in Sagarin. NSDU was #71 in 2007 and #35 in 2012. Brewster's seat might not have been all that hot going into the game, but it was on FIRE after the USD game. Kill's seat will warm up if the Gophers lose to Eastern Illinois (ranked #119 in 2012), but the takedown of New Hamphshire showed the Gophers could solidly beat a team they were supposed to.

I haven't quite figured out yet why teams like South Dakota even get scheduled. It's like being a wrestler in High School who has the unfortunate experience of having to wrestle a girl. You beat her and everyone says you should have won...it is totally overlooked (except from your snickering friends who think you enjoyed it). If you lose....Oh My! Your High School experience is remembered by the fact that you lost to a girl.

Playing South Dakota = Wrestling a Girl

People on this board were trumpeting the Brewster bandwagon until the minute the popular consensus turned against him, and then they all jumped off the bandwagon. If Kill isn't successful they will all act like they knew that would happen all along too. It has nothing to do with the coaches and everything to do with the fans.

Get your facts straight. Tim Brewster NEVER promised a Rose Bowl or Big 10 Championship. What he said was that every year it is going to be the Gohers GOAL to win the Rose Bowl. The local media sh*theads turned that into a promise. What Brewster said is exactly the kind of thing I want to hear from the Gopher football coach.

And what I don't want to hear is the new coach say that the previous coach left me too many sh*tty players to win. Jerry Kill has been makjng that excuse every chance he has had for the last two years. Tim Brewster never criticized his players even one time even though Mason left him horrendous recruiting classes in 2005, 2006, and 2007. If you want proof of Mason's crummy recruiting classes after 2003 let me know. I have posted the evidence a half dozen times and nobody in GopherHole has challenged that evidence even one time.

You are technically correct, but he did state on multiple occasions that he was going to bring the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. Yet he did not schedule an away game vs. UCLA, an away game versus University of Houston Clear Lake, or a neutral site game in the Rose Bowl.

He also has to date not created a charter vacation for Gopher fans to any of the following Pasadenas:

Pasadena, South Australia, Austrailia
Pasadena, Newfoundland, Canada
Pasadena, Berkshire, UK
Pasadena, Suffolk, UK
Pasadena, California, USA
South Pasadena, California, USA
South Pasadena, Florida, USA
Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena Hills, Missouri, USA
Pasadena Park, Missouri, USA
Pasadena, Texas, USA

So, yes, you are absolutely correct that he did not promise a Rose Bowl.

The reason Brewster was on the hot seat going into year 4 had nothing to do with his year 3 record. It was because the cracks in his coaching facade were starting to show. He had lost too many players (too many either never came or had left) and coming into that year had way more questions than answers at too many positions. More staff turnover. But if he had won 3 non-conference games, he would likely have make it through the season. However, losing to USD threw gasoline on what was a lightly smoldering dumpster fire.

If Kill copies Brewster's year 3 results this year he won't be on the hot seat. You can see the plan. There haven't been 187 coordinators and assistants in and out. There haven't been 364 players leaving due to academics or not qualifying in the first place. (numbers may be slight exaggerations) :)

However, if Kill goes 1-9 in year 4, yes, he should be canned. No question.

P.S. University of Houston Clear Lake is located in Pasadena, TX.

You are technically correct, but he did state on multiple occasions that he was going to bring the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. Yet he did not schedule an away game vs. UCLA, an away game versus University of Houston Clear Lake, or a neutral site game in the Rose Bowl.

He also has to date not created a charter vacation for Gopher fans to any of the following
Pasadenas:

Pasadena, South Australia, Austrailia
Pasadena, Newfoundland, Canada
Pasadena, Berkshire, UK
Pasadena, Suffolk, UK
Pasadena, California, USA
South Pasadena, California, USA
South Pasadena, Florida, USA
Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena Hills, Missouri, USA
Pasadena Park, Missouri, USA
Pasadena, Texas, USA

So, yes, you are absolutely correct that he did not promise a Rose Bowl.

The reason Brewster was on the hot seat going into year 4 had nothing to do with his year 3 record. It was because the cracks in his coaching facade were starting to show. He had lost too many players (too many either never came or had left) and coming into that year had way more questions than answers at too many positions. More staff turnover. But if he had won 3 non-conference games, he would likely have make it through the season. However, losing to USD threw gasoline on what was a lightly smoldering dumpster fire.

If Kill copies Brewster's year 3 results this year he won't be on the hot seat. You can see the plan. There haven't been 187 coordinators and assistants in and out. There haven't been 364 players leaving due to academics or not qualifying in the first place. (numbers may be slight exaggerations) :)

However, if Kill goes 1-9 in year 4, yes, he should be canned. No question.

P.S. University of Houston Clear Lake is located in Pasadena, TX.

Preach!

Brewster was a disaster. Our team plays harder in the loss to Texas Tech than any game, win or loss, under Brewbaby. That said, Kill is no sure thing. I'm sure Florida St. Thinks it is tremendous to have Brew on their sidelines...

I suppose you can argue whether the words "We're going to win the Big Ten Championship" is a promise or not, but it sure soudns like one...

1/17/2007

Our expectation is to win a Big Ten Championship now.

We are going to win. We’re going to win the Big Ten Championship and we’re going to take the Gopher nation to Pasadena.

It (win the big ten title) will happen here sooner rather than later.

8/28/2007

Q: What are your expectations for this season in terms of the number of victories, something tangible?

A: I haven’t been bashful at all about saying what my goals and intentions are as the head football coach here, and that’s to win the Big Ten Championship.

People on this board were trumpeting the Brewster bandwagon until the minute the popular consensus turned against him, and then they all jumped off the bandwagon. If Kill isn't successful they will all act like they knew that would happen all along too. It has nothing to do with the coaches and everything to do with the fans.

I was never on the Brewster bandwagon. He was a terrible hire. And I was calling for his and Maturi's firing after the second season when the record changed, but the players did not get better (just fewer bone headed coaching mistakes). The 07 and 08 teams were about the same.

I think Brewster is a good guy and I think he tried hard, but the only reason he got the job was Maturi was so completely incompetent to hire coaches, he gave him a chance.

That said, he's been gone for going on three years now. I hope he does well as a position coach at FSU. He is qualified to be a position coach. That's still about it. Unless and until he's a position coach here, I could not care less about what he does and am fascinated by the perpetual interest in what he's doing.

His biggest mistake here was taking a job he wasn't qualified for. I don't blame him for that, but wishing for him to become qualified didn't help.

Kill has won two more games than Brewster at this point and one more Big Ten win. Also, we almost won our bowl game this year while Brew's team got totally drubbed by Kansas. If Kill's team goes 6-6 and makes a bowl this year I don't think he's quite on the hot seat yet. He has a seven year contract. If the team takes a step back then it's anyone's guess. Also, Brewster didn't get fired for wins and loses alone. His teams were totally undisciplined on and off the field and when coupled with the losing it was bye bye Brew. The situation was far more complex than just Ws.

The situation was far more complex than just Ws.

You got that right! First Kill is a real head coach with real experience turning programs around and in the process of doing it here. On the other hand Brewster was doing an internship here hoping to learn how to become a head coach. Any similarities between the two is purely coincidental. LOL

I think it was the way his second and third seasons played out, not so much the records. He starts out 1-11. In his second season he's at 7-1 and we think, "Whew -- maybe he's okay after all." But we lose the last five games that season, including a historic home blowout against Iowa, a loss to the worst Michigan team in 40 years and a bad loss in the bowl game. Then in his third season, we had one decent game in the last seven (the home win over MSU), including a near loss to South Dakota State and a real home loss to a bad Illinois team.

This was a season-and-a-half of the Gophers falling apart at the seams. He really had built up to trust with fans. When we lost to South Dakota in Year Four, that didn't seem like an aberration as much as confirmation that he had to go.

Top Bottom