Latest from Sid

I know its a UW reference but in terms of bringing in a quality QB each year this applies. They brought in what they thought were talented QBs in back to back years with Brian Savage and Dustin Scherer but missed on a alot of players the next two years and got plan E guys in Tolzien and Stallons. Stallons and Savage left, Tolzien a perfect backup and you are left with Scherer, who was rated pretty highly but everyone saw that he isnt a Big 10 starter. Missing on 2 QBs in 4 years has left UW with going with Scherer again or playing one of the two frosh in Phillips or Budmayr. Just goes to show how difficult QB recruiting can be and why alot of coaches wait till the last moment to offer QBs.

Most of the fans want Phillips to play, similar to what Weber did instead of the 1 year guys they have had with the last few QBs.

I know its a UW reference but in terms of bringing in a quality QB each year this applies. They brought in what they thought were talented QBs in back to back years with Brian Savage and Dustin Scherer but missed on a alot of players the next two years and got plan E guys in Tolzien and Stallons. Stallons and Savage left, Tolzien a perfect backup and you are left with Scherer, who was rated pretty highly but everyone saw that he isnt a Big 10 starter. Missing on 2 QBs in 4 years has left UW with going with Scherer again or playing one of the two frosh in Phillips or Budmayr. Just goes to show how difficult QB recruiting can be and why alot of coaches wait till the last moment to offer QBs.

Most of the fans want Phillips to play, similar to what Weber did instead of the 1 year guys they have had with the last few QBs.

It is a relevant and thoughtful point. If Wisconsin would have had a better QB this season they would have won more games.

QB is an incredibly hard position to scout. Just look at the failure of first round draft picks in the NFL and all of those players are further developed by the time they get drafted.

Considering how hard it is to scout QB's and that most people consider it the single most important position on the team I don't know why anybody would complain about going after at least one QB in every class.

I don't know why anybody would complain about going after at least one QB in every class.
I can definitely see the value of bringing in a QB every year. However, my main concern from the other perspective is the potential to lose out on an elite recruit due to a surplus of QBs on the roster. Brewster is an elite recruiter, and the caliber of player he is going to be in on will likely want PT in their 1st or 2nd year. I couldn't blame a recruit if he didn't want to come here because he won't play until his jr. or sr. year. We can't all be USC and get an Elite 11 QB every year.

Parish is a developmental QB at best at this point, which is more then likely the best you are going to be able to get with the current QB situation UM has. That is no way is a dig at anyone but if you were a QB who is told that they are ready to play in year one or two(after RS year) why would you pick UM with Weber having one more year and Gray having three years beyond that add to that a highly rated QB who will be RSing next year.

Basically this goes to the point me and grunkiejr were making about missing on QBs. These next two classes are going to be important because you may not be able to pull in a top flight QB because of the depth chart so you better be on the money in terms of a developmental player that could progress for a couple years and be ready if needed by his JR or SR year when the upper class men are gone or the under class men arent ready.

I can definitely see the value of bringing in a QB every year. However, my main concern from the other perspective is the potential to lose out on an elite recruit due to a surplus of QBs on the roster. Brewster is an elite recruiter, and the caliber of player he is going to be in on will likely want PT in their 1st or 2nd year. I couldn't blame a recruit if he didn't want to come here because he won't play until his jr. or sr. year. We can't all be USC and get an Elite 11 QB every year.

You basically contradict yourself in successive sentences. You say that our QB talent will likely improve and that more talented QB's want PT immediately. Then you cite USC the special exception without explaining why. By your logic USC should have problems b/c they have too many elite QB's on their roster. Yet they don't. Why is that?

My suspicion is that USC has other things that QB's want (good coaching, sunshine, ladies, national titles). I am not trying to say that we have the same advantages or are on the same level. However, as long as the Gophers have other qualities that make good players (including QB's) want to be a part of the program the number of QB's on the roster won't matter.

If early PT is the only selling point we have or if Brew can't recruit without that selling point (not a concern of mine) then we are a program with major problems.

"I appreciate your comments and my (in-law)family comments that grew up here. However I moved here. And his last 10 years (the time I have been here) He is wrong more often then right. In addition he is wrong when he is on his own show when the questions are prepped for him. I have pointed this out so many times."

That's like moving to Chicago in Harry Carrey's last 10 years as a Cubs announcer and saying the guy was no good. Well if you were not a long time Cubs fan or in this case a longtime Strib/Wcco reader/listener it just won't make sense to you. Sid's a legacy, he's not judged on the same scoring system as 25 year old beat writers for SI or ESPN. The old man has earned the right to butcher people's names, cloud the facts and brag about his "close personal friends"

Now, hat said you can not question Sid on Gopher recruiting since Brewster's been here. He was wrong on Casey Dehn and that's it. Every other item he's printed has been dead nuts on! Think about that for a minute and let it sink in.....Sid, who's wrong about 75% of the time in general these days is batting almost 1000% on Gopher football since Brew took over. You think Brew might be throwing the old dog a few bones? I do.

You basically contradict yourself in successive sentences. You say that our QB talent will likely improve and that more talented QB's want PT immediately. Then you cite USC the special exception without explaining why. By your logic USC should have problems b/c they have too many elite QB's on their roster. Yet they don't. Why is that?
My suspicion is that USC has other things that QB's want (good coaching, sunshine, ladies, national titles). I am not trying to say that we have the same advantages or are on the same level. However, as long as the Gophers have other qualities that make good players (including QB's) want to be a part of the program the number of QB's on the roster won't matter.
If early PT is the only selling point we have or if Brew can't recruit without that selling point (not a concern of mine) then we are a program with major problems.
How is that contradictory? Brewster is (and will be) bringing in far better QBs than Mason did, but I think there will be a regression toward the mean if you try to bring in a QB every year. Guys like Clausen, Barkley, etc. expect to be starting at least by their 2nd year, and their main goal is to be drafted high. Throw this out the window if you're talking about a guy like Parish, who seems to me a raw prospect that does not expect to start anytime soon, and could turn into a good QB if we end up needing him later in his career.
I didn't think I had to explain USC, but if you insist...within the last 10 years especially, you're practically guaranteed a shot in the NFL if you get an offer to play QB from USC. Sanchez, JD Booty, Leinart, Palmer. Hell, Cassel never started a game and threw 33 passes, yet he's one of the most highly regarded young QBs in the game. It is highly likely that both Mustain and Barkley will be on NFL rosters as well. QBs will always want to go to USC as long as Carroll is there, because the odds are high that you will play in the NFL if you do (even if you hardly get to play while there). Conversely, how many QBs has the U sent to the NFL? Cory Sauter? Even that was more than 10 years ago.
I also never said anything about Brewster using PT as a recruiting point. I'm looking at it from the perspective of the recruit. If you're coming in and know you have to beat out 3 highly-regarded veteran QBs to start (especially at a school that doesn't historically produce NFL QBs), what is the incentive to come here?

Is anyone else wondering why the coaches are collecting QBs like it's going out of style?

A lot of QBs end up at other positions. It seem like that fact is lost in the middle of most recruiting talk.

Top Bottom