Kirkwood on Phillip Nelson: "He's become more of a vocal leader."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this note from Doogie:

• Gophers running back Donnell Kirkwood had a big smile when I asked him on Wednesday about quarterback Philip Nelson: "I've seen a change. I have to say that. He's become more of a vocal leader. He's taken charge of captain's practices, the runs, this team. He's become more outspoken and is stepping out of that shy role he had a year ago."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...t_Luke_Ridnour_who_is_girding_for_trade021513

Go Gophers!!

That is very good to hear. The QB needs to be a leader imo.

The strength of our offense rests largely on the shoulders of Philip. In order to give the offense confidence that they can win, it will start by Nelson showing confidence in his abilities. I think that Philip can be a very good qb next year, which will hopefully lead to a couple of upsets. I liked what I saw from him last year, especially in the bowl game (minus the int.). He seems to have the physical and mental abilities to be a very good qb.

The strength of our offense rests largely on the shoulders of Philip. In order to give the offense confidence that they can win, it will start by Nelson showing confidence in his abilities. I think that Philip can be a very good qb next year, which will hopefully lead to a couple of upsets. I liked what I saw from him last year, especially in the bowl game (minus the int.). He seems to have the physical and mental abilities to be a very good qb.

Good post.

I generally agree with what you're getting at, but I still think next year comes down to our running game. We need to be able to lineup and run the ball successfully. I like Nelson and he will need to keep improving for us to to take the next step. However, if we are in pure passing situations a lot (3rd and longs) we won't be successful. I just don't think we have the weapons, yet, that can get open consistently in cover situations.

I'm hoping we see a lot of Williams/Kirkwood/Edwards and then the playaction. If that's the majority of Nelson's game next season, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised by his efficiency.

A good to great running game will do nothing but help Nelson's game overall.

Also, MOAR MARYLAND I!!!

I like Nelson and I agree he has the physical tools to be a good quarterback. Evolution of leadership is to be expected in a maturing QB. I wonder whether Kirkwood was referring to something more profound than mere newfound maturity. Some people have the natural ability to lead, and some have to grow into it. I'd like to know which Mr. Nelson is.

I know the answer is probably no, but can we limit the amount of time that Nelson is asked to carry the ball the next 3 years? I think with a solid oline/running attack that he is going to be a pretty good qb.

Running the QB seems to be an important part of Kill's offensive system. It does put added pressure on the defense.

Nicely stated! +1! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know the answer is probably no, but can we limit the amount of time that Nelson is asked to carry the ball the next 3 years? I think with a solid oline/running attack that he is going to be a pretty good qb.

The QB run will always be part of the offense but the better we are at running with the RB's the fewer times Nelson or whoever is under center will be asked to carry the ball. The coaches are not dumb they know it is a bad idea to let you QB get hit a lot so if they can be effective with other guys running the ball that will be the focus. But the QB run won't go away as long as Limegrover is in charge of the offense, it is a part of the scheme.

As a true soph in a run based offense without much talent at WR I just want to see Nelson manage the game well next year. Make good decisions, make some plays on 3rd down, get us into good plays at the line, and let our running game control the clock if it's able to. In 2 years I think we'll have a better talent/experience mix at WR allowing us to maybe open up the passing game more

A JK team will not look like USC/Oregon. It will look just like the UNI team that beat us on pass plays on the edges and ran up the middle. And if Jerry's right, the gophs win by one point as often as they win by 7.

At least as important as Nelson's leadership at QB is going to be how the O-line steps up. Now that they aren't all freshmen and sophomores, I look for a major improvement there. That will make it a lot easier for Nelson to start showing his ability and leadership, the RBs to show their abilities and the receivers to show if they have any talent at all. I'm also hoping to see the s&c program bear some fruit in giving the O-line more strength and flexibility and reducing the danged injuries they had last year.

Yeah, I think it's something that the staff is looking at. I think it's part of the reason why we saw so much of the Maryland I in the bowl game.

I don't know what happens with Jones, Streveler or Foreman, but Kill (at other places) played a second QB about 15 snaps a game to take hits off of his starter. I wouldn't be surprised if we see that.

I like Nelson and I agree he has the physical tools to be a good quarterback. Evolution of leadership is to be expected in a maturing QB. I wonder whether Kirkwood was referring to something more profound than mere newfound maturity. Some people have the natural ability to lead, and some have to grow into it. I'd like to know which Mr. Nelson is.

I really think he has the natural ability. I think you could see it in his first start at Wisconsin. He's a competitor and a leader.

First allow me to Bragg; as I write this I'm laying on a beautiful beach in the Domincan Republic....sucks being you guys!

Nelson was put in the most horrible of situations last season. Limited to no reps and no non-conference confidence building patsies. He made his starting debut against a Big Ten opponent. An yet he didn't fall apart. What we saw last season was his absolutely floor/worst.

Nelson and the staff has had the time to sit back and process what they saw. The staff will implement a system and game plans to what he does best and they will have many months and reps to perfect it. You have heard me write all the negative thing about why I didn't like the move last year. For the next three years their will be nothing but positives from it. Of course after he graduates after being all-big ten his senior season will be wishing he had that extra year.

Okay that's all the coherent thoughts I can mustard up for now.....the chef has my breakfast ready and my wife is telling me to put my addiction down.

First allow me to Bragg; as I write this I'm laying on a beautiful beach in the Domincan Republic....sucks being you guys!

Okay that's all the coherent thoughts I can mustard up for now.....the chef has my breakfast ready and my wife is telling me to put my addiction down.

grrr, it's a high of 20 here today, and a high of 8 on tuesday. enjoy!

Why? Were you drinking a rum and Coke? Enjoy your time in the sun but don't forget to bring back some warm weather for us.

Someone above said it best. Nelson will not be an effective QB and we still wont have a running game if our offensive line doesnt make progress in leaps and bounds. I remember being depressed as I saw Western Michigan push us around all too often. I know part of it was injuries but I am hoping they gain about twenty or more muscular pounds and the influx of some new people such as the Ohio State center will make a huge difference. Get our QB some time and some holes for our running attack and we can keep the defense off the field--then we will see some real football.

Top Bottom