Kirk Herbstreit on Gameday today: "We'll be in Tuscaloosa next week"

Dang, this is too bad. Kind of hard to turn down 1vs2 though. That said, how many times will they have this chance again up north? Probably never. Who cares either way. Beat Penn State next week and lets start talking conference championship.

I apologize if I made you angry or frustrated. Was not my goal, truly.

I do know the difference between the AP/Coaches and the CFP rankings. I do know that, ostensibly the CFP committee is supposed to throw the previous rankings out the window and rank solely on perceived merit. I know that Ohio State has a valid case to be top 2.

I just don’t believe them. I think Bama LSU will be top 2.

It's certainly your right to think that Alabama and LSU will be #1 and #2.....but don't throw out the current AP poll rankings as a basis for those assumptions. The currently AP poll certainly doesn't help provide any "facts" relevant to the CFP Ranking. The AP poll has little bearing on who the top two will be. Especially considering that the AP doesn't even have a clearcut #1-3. You could be right. It could absolutely be Alabama and LSU as #1 and #2. But Ohio State has looked every bit as good as both and any combination of the three would not be a surprise.

I apologize if I made you angry or frustrated. Was not my goal, truly.

I do know the difference between the AP/Coaches and the CFP rankings. I do know that, ostensibly the CFP committee is supposed to throw the previous rankings out the window and rank solely on perceived merit. I know that Ohio State has a valid case to be top 2.

I just don’t believe them. I think Bama LSU will be top 2.

If SOS is the most pertinent stat to the committee as it states, OSU should be #1 or #2 this Tuesday.

It's fine. Don't talk about us. Play with a chip on his your shoulder and beat PSU

Also, we played on Friday night. Everyone forget that already?

Right - the premise brought up in a subsequent post was that we didn't get GameDay because we played on Friday night. I'm saying that we wouldn't have gotten GameDay regardless of which day we played.

There are a few really upset Gopher fans and I dont really understand that. Hard to pass up #1 vs #2.

BTW LSU is waaaay better than Alabama.

There are a few really upset Gopher fans and I dont really understand that. Hard to pass up #1 vs #2.

I wouldn't bet against Bama at home. And the game day thing is meh. I just don't have a reason to watch it. They will all pick Penn St to win anyway, so there's no draw for me.

I don’t care about Game Day but it does give great exposure to the school and program. I want our game to be so fantastic (in our favor obvs) that they regret not coming. I want the Gophers to have clinched the West before the Wisconsin game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me that Penn State would have been the ones to turn it down. You think they really want a piece of a team that's looking to gain the upset, with the added inspiration of their first ever Game Day behind them? Hell no they don't!

I think PSU is doomed either way. Now the Gophers have to go out and prove yet again, that they belong at their ranking and deserve recognition on the national stage.

Good exposure for the program. And I'd venture to guess that plenty of top end high school players watch college gameday and lots of college football. They've seen Tuscaloosa. They know about Alabama and LSU.

With how this played out, I would love for the U to have the self-respect to say "no thanks" if Gameday ever offers. At this point I am pretty turned off of the idea. I get there is a 1 v. 2 matchup, but the reality is we have been disrespected enough and I firmly believe that we do not have to be content with "apologies" or scraps and a winning culture would not put up with it.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

With how this played out, I would love for the U to have the self-respect to say "no thanks" if Gameday ever offers. At this point I am pretty turned off of the idea. I get there is a 1 v. 2 matchup, but the reality is we have been disrespected enough and I firmly believe that we do not have to be content with "apologies" or scraps and a winning culture would not put up with it.

How what played out? It's not as if something was promised and then taken away. Gameday never said or even intimated it was coming here. We didn't get screwed over. We didn't get jerked around. That no announcement about next week's site was made before this morning is because the show usually doesn't reveal a location more than a week ahead of schedule due to the setting usually being contingent upon results or in this case to not overshadow the school hosting the week beforehand.

As diehard fans, we are invested in what a big story the Gophers' season has been so far and certainly people around college football are watching, but we are a curiosity. LSU vs. Alabama is without question the bigger story as the 26th ever meeting of the #1 and #2 teams during the regular season. That ESPN is going there should come as no surprise and whether it was two SEC teams, two PAC-12 teams or a conference team hosting Notre Dame, that would always be the story and where Gameday would go.

The U of M seriously campaigned for the game for about a week if we use PJ Fleck commenting about it as the starting point. Washington State had its flag flying in the crowd for 15 years before circumstances finally enabled a visit of Gameday to Pullman. If we stay good, the show will come here, perhaps as soon as the Wisconsin game. Campaigning for it won't hurt. Saying no if Gameday someday wanted to visit in the future because the show went to Alabama this time would not be showing self respect, just pettiness over a perceived insult that absolutely wasn't one at all.

And folks get mad when Dan Barriero says our fan base is too sensitive.

Well...nobody should listen to Dull Barriero. I have my car tuned to KFAN from my morning commute when I leave work in the evening and catch a few minutes. His troll efforts aren't even good. Especially considering the way he croons over a few teams. Easily the worst of the four daily shows on the fan.

Well...nobody should listen to Dull Barriero. I have my car tuned to KFAN from my morning commute when I leave work in the evening and catch a few minutes. His troll efforts aren't even good. Especially considering the way he croons over a few teams. <b>Easily the worst of the four daily shows on the fan.</b>

Also the highest rated. And has been for years. Huh?

The fan base isn't sensitive as much as it just want informed reporting.

Fans went through two years of listening to "Fleck is the next Brewster" and "Fleck keeps saying the team is young and isn't delivering results".

They were wrong on both accounts.

Also the highest rated. And has been for years. Huh?

I really like Barreiro on non sports topics or with guests. He's good at that. But his sports takes are almost always trolling and just meant to stir the pot.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The fan base isn't sensitive as much as it just want informed reporting.

Fans went through two years of listening to "Fleck is the next Brewster" and "Fleck keeps saying the team is young and isn't delivering results".

They were wrong on both accounts.

They were wrong, but our fan base is w/o a doubt the most sensitive fan base around. Look no further than this website when someone dares to suggest our opponents weren’t great, that we are overrated, etc.

They were wrong, but our fan base is w/o a doubt the most sensitive fan base around. Look no further than this website when someone dares to suggest our opponents weren’t great, that we are overrated, etc.

How would we know if the Vikings fan base is sensitive?

How would we know if the Vikings fan base is sensitive?

Oh they’re sensitive. Remember when KFAN and every Viking blog lost its collective mind when the Gophers tweeted something along the lines of “come see the best football in town” when trying to sell tickets to a game against Syracuse several years ago?

Oh they’re sensitive. Remember when KFAN and every Viking blog lost its collective mind when the Gophers tweeted something along the lines of “come see the best football in town” when trying to sell tickets to a game against Syracuse several years ago?

Yep. That was great. Lost their minds. All fans usually do though. Maybe not Timberwolves fans since everyone knows they suck bad...

How what played out? It's not as if something was promised and then taken away. Gameday never said or even intimated it was coming here. We didn't get screwed over. We didn't get jerked around. That no announcement about next week's site was made before this morning is because the show usually doesn't reveal a location more than a week ahead of schedule due to the setting usually being contingent upon results or in this case to not overshadow the school hosting the week beforehand.

As diehard fans, we are invested in what a big story the Gophers' season has been so far and certainly people around college football are watching, but we are a curiosity. LSU vs. Alabama is without question the bigger story as the 26th ever meeting of the #1 and #2 teams during the regular season. That ESPN is going there should come as no surprise and whether it was two SEC teams, two PAC-12 teams or a conference team hosting Notre Dame, that would always be the story and where Gameday would go.

The U of M seriously campaigned for the game for about a week if we use PJ Fleck commenting about it as the starting point. Washington State had its flag flying in the crowd for 15 years before circumstances finally enabled a visit of Gameday to Pullman. If we stay good, the show will come here, perhaps as soon as the Wisconsin game. Campaigning for it won't hurt. Saying no if Gameday someday wanted to visit in the future because the show went to Alabama this time would not be showing self respect, just pettiness over a perceived insult that absolutely wasn't one at all.
Yawn. I hope you didn't put too much time into that.

However much time it was, it was probably far more than you did with the refried “woe is me” victim routine about how Gameday screwed us and we should show ESPN by telling them to shove it. It certainly required more time than you put into insulting me instead of actually coming up with a response that required any real thought.

LSU and ‘Bama are on CBS, the network means nothing. They should have come for MI at MN in 2003 and didn’t. They should come next weekend. At this point I say don’t come. Let’s be the only campus they haven’t been to. F ‘em. I’m fine with holding that monicker as they continue to dwindle sites ignoring us. They’ve been to Tuscaloosa 46 times. That’s simply ridiculous. They’ve been at the LSU vs. Alabama game 11 times. They’ve been at a game with LSU in it 3 times already this year. They simply don’t have an interest in us. Last week of the season is rivalry week and I’m willing to bet they go elsewhere. They should sell season tickets to Gameday in Tuscaloosa.

Our tailgate scene is really small compared to others. We seldom sell out. Would we even draw a decent crowd around the game day set. Lets just beat PSU.

And Barriero is right. This is by far the most sensitive fan base in town.

Our tailgate scene is really small compared to others. We seldom sell out. Would we even draw a decent crowd around the game day set. Lets just beat PSU.

The crowd showed up way earlier last week than they have all season or in the past few years. Hard to tell how much of an impact an earlier game will have but I'm guessing even more will show up early against Penn State. I think our tailgate scene is smaller than it should be because the U is so restrictive with passes in the tailgate lots and because we have much less area for tailgating being in a big city.

And Barriero is right. This is by far the most sensitive fan base in town.

I’d argue it’s the Vikings by a pretty wide margin. And I’m a huge Vikings fan too.

The crowd showed up way earlier last week than they have all season or in the past few years. Hard to tell how much of an impact an earlier game will have but I'm guessing even more will show up early against Penn State. I think our tailgate scene is smaller than it should be because the U is so restrictive with passes in the tailgate lots and because we have much less area for tailgating being in a big city.

And there is and has been fan apathy for a very long time.

Top Bottom