Kill blames players in the Startribune today.

Jerry Kill's record as a D-I head coach is 78-48. Remember, Southern Illinois was D-I. Southwest Texas State (now Texas Sate) is D-I now, but was D-II when Wacker coached there. 40-58-2 is just a poor record, regardless of whatever mitigating circumstances there were at the beginning of his tenure.

Kill has been saying the same thing since he was hired that they simply aren't a good football team. Some of us chose to believe he was just downplaying expectations. I admit I thought that's what he was doing. But 5 games in it is fairly obvious he was telling the truth and there is a reason they only won 3 games last season. They're not good and they simply quit 5 minutes into the game saturday. I still love the program, I'll still be there every Saturday but I know there is a long road ahead and we should all brace ourselves for a bumpy ride.

Haha this is a ridiculous debate. The team is looking bad so no matter what Kill says he is going to get blasted for it. If he says its all his fault, well then a group of people will say "lets fire him, he himself said its all his fault." or "Why isn't he ripping into these players, they show no discipline." If he was winning he could say the craziest *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# ever and no one would give a damn. Mason was smug, Brewster was a used car salesman, Kill is a small time country bumpkin. People act like comments to the media are the reason for the losing.

Haha this is a ridiculous debate. The team is looking bad so no matter what Kill says he is going to get blasted for it. If he says its all his fault, well then a group of people will say "lets fire him, he himself said its all his fault." or "Why isn't he ripping into these players, they show no discipline." If he was winning he could say the craziest *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# ever and no one would give a damn. Mason was smug, Brewster was a used car salesman, Kill is a small time country bumpkin. People act like comments to the media are the reason for the losing.
WIN!!!

I said it before & I'll say it again...nothing about Brew's recruits outside of a few Juco's early on look impressive. When you watch a team like Alabama or even Boise State the players play very impressively...our players don't even seem like good football players IMO. When you watch Gopher games in the Mason Era which had Cupito, Maroney, Payne, Barber, Ellerson, etc, watching the games we looked like a real football team except when we got our butts handed to us when they decided not to get off the bus (Wisc. '06, OSU '06, etc) but against weak opponents and even equally matched teams we ***LOOKED*** like a football team. Ever since Brew took over we always look *LOST*, even in games we've won. Our QB always looks lost & confused, our receivers still can't run proper routes & be honest, none of RB's have looked impressive since 2006. How did Amir Pinnix & Jay Thomas have nice oexploding games in 2006 & then look like complete trash in 2007? Cuz Brew didn't know what he was doing & didn't know how to coach & I honestly believe he recruited based on Star Ratings instead of actually watching them play!!!

Watch this team's games this year compared to Mason-Era-ish. We overrate our own players. I can't believe people say Gray is built for the NFL...then how come he looks so mediocre compared to receivers from other teams like Iowa? It's look ya'll only watch Gopher games & don't watch other teams. Watching Wisconsin play & then watching us is painful...we don't even look like a real football team on the field so yes I do believe Kill when he says the players lack something & 4 years of Brew Coaching has conditioned them to be like this.

Say what you want about Mason...he beat who he had to & crushed who never stood a chance, yeah he lost a shocker here & there but nobody's perfect. Watch Minnesota-OSU 2005 or Minnesota-Iowa 2006, we ***LOOKED LIKE A FOOTBALL TEAM***. Even when we lost you knew we were capable of putting up 500yds & 35pts. I felt comfortable when we would punt because our Offense could explode at anytime but now? It's painful to watch us, it really is & every snap feels like drama...ever since 2007, even when we were off to a good start in 2008 we didn't exactly crush anyone except for dominating FAU but even teams like Montana State gave us a game & we should've crushed them. When we did beat a Big Ten opponent it'd be against a struggling Purdue or Indiana & we didn't pull away from either of those games til' late in the game.

I'm a Gopher Fan for Life but even I know when we look Wacker Era-ish (R.I.P. Jim Wacker, no disrespect) & the games just aren't as fun as they used to be, even when we win. But I will watch every game from the opening kickoff to the final whistle because I have faith we'll be good again but for now Kill is right, we just don't have the players...

Hey John, if you had given 100% before being thrown under the bus, why would you have to try to prove someone wrong by working even harder? You can't give more than 100%. It is more likely that the coach put you in a position to fail. When a coach says he has been out coached, you don't give the guy a cookie. You find a replacement for him. What are you going to do about a coach who ADMITS he is getting out coached? Admission is guilt. Yet, in the next breath he went after the seniors! The guy is desperate and knows he is over his head. No pass should be given to a guy who takes a job and screws it up worse than it was before.

Your assumption is that they were giving 100% before Kill arrived. From early on in December, Kill made it clear that he thought his team was lazy. He made comments regarding the fact that his entire team was spending all day playing video games. It was also clear that he worked them much harder in spring practice, as many players indicated they had never practiced that hard in the past. Kill clearly thought they weren't at 100% and was trying to get more out of them.

As far as being outcoached, he's trying to share the blame with his players and to show that he's not above criticism. Here's a news flash, in every game, someone is outcoached. Should Bo Pelini be fired because he was outcoached by Bret Bielema on Saturday, along with the other 60 D-1 coaches who were "outcoached?"

Kill's track record has been nothing short of outstanding over 20 years and your ready to fire him after 5 games! 5 games! If Kill doesn't show improvement from year to year, I'll be the first to help him pack his boxes, but he deserves some more time since he's a proven winner. If you have a better suggestion on how to turn the program around, I'm all ears...

Hoke tells paper his team is over-rated at #12. How could they play for a coach like that?

Wow. Doesn't he know that when you publicly state that your team is worse than people think it is players give up? Based on that comment I'm forced to conclude that Hoke has been a disastrous hire for Michigan. I'm registering www.firebradyhoke.com right now...

"Hoke said he told the players Sunday during the team meeting the Wolverines are rated too high.

"I'm not telling you anything I didn't tell them yesterday," Hoke said. "We're not playing football we need to play. We're not playing well enough. We're not finishing things well enough."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111003/SPORTS0201/110030423/Brady-Hoke-says-No.-12-ranking-is-too-high-for-Michigan#ixzz1ZpjDe96m"

OOG a suggestion, tape the games and go back and watch closely to who is putting out and who is going thru the motions! Then come back here and tell us how many are giving 100% for the whole game! When 8-9 guys give 100% and a couple of old guard guys slack off what happens,the whole play blows up. He will get rid of the dead wood, and I'm sure those that are putting out aren't treated as slackers.

I agree, it is at a point in the season where you should know who is causing problems, a major part is getting the right people on the field, whoever they may be senior , freshman, etc.. I am hoping we see some improvement as the season progresses and coaches knowledge of the personel improves.

Top Bottom