Kill and Fleck From Last Night and Notes - Strib

Iceland12

Reaction score
New Mexico State coach Jerry Kill came in saying he wasn't sure he and Gophers coach P.J. Fleck would shake hands Thursday, but they did it twice, with conversations before and after the game.

"I've never said one thing ever negative about Jerry Kill ... I'm a Jerry Kill guy," Fleck said after his team rolled to a 38-0 victory at Huntington Bank Stadium...

"I'm a professional," Kill said. "I've been a class act my whole life. ... You've got to remember, P.J. worked with me [at Northern Illinois]. ... And sometimes in the heat of the battle ... when you have your best friend [Tracy Claeys] get fired ... I think you react."..

Fleck said he told Kill, "I've always had the upmost respect for you. ... I mean, this is a very passionate profession. I know this. I appreciate Jerry's passion because I know how bad, you know, Jerry loves this place."

Kill said the Gophers are a "very physical football team and a football team we want to be at New Mexico State in time. It takes time. Everywhere I've been it takes a little bit of time. Their running back [Mohamed Ibrahim] is one of the better ones I've seen in a long time.

"They're a Big Ten physical football team, is what they are. ... I figured they would be pretty good from what I've heard, but I think they may be better than what people think."...

The Aggies reportedly will receive a combined $3 million for playing at Wisconsin and Missouri this season, but they won't be paid for traveling to play the Gophers.

That's because Thursday's meeting was a return game from when Kill's Minnesota squad won 44-21 at Aggie Memorial Stadium in 2013. Kill also lost 28-21 to New Mexico State at home in his second game as Gophers coach in 2011...

The Gophers game Thursday was the fourth-warmest temperature for a game at Huntington Bank Stadium in team history at 83 degrees. It ranks just under the 88 degrees vs. the Aggies in 2011...

Top Bottom