KFAN, Dan, & GopherHoler Thought

StPaulHawkeye

Reaction score
I have been following the KFAN kerfuffle both here and on Common & Dan's radio show.

It seems like as much as some of you hate KFAN and vow to never listen again, what most of you would really like to see is more non-negative coverage of Golden Gopher football on that station. Or maybe at least more-informed coverage.

Maybe one of you could approach Dan or Chad and become a "regular" guest on his show? He has lots of regularly scheduled guests on. It could make for great radio. Certainly the GHer would be knowledgable, passionate, and ready to give the fans side of the story. Great radio can be made when two opposing viewpoints are made?

Take this situation and make something positive out of it. Stop the namecalling and attacks. You know Gopher football wants good publicity and KFAN wants listeners.

Just a thought from a Hawkeye fan.

Do you actually think Barrero will let a Rube on the air who actually knows facts and who thinks just about the opposite of Barrero on everything related to Gopher FB.....

To quote the bald blowhard...

"You can't be SERIOUS!"

I have been following the KFAN kerfuffle both here and on Common & Dan's radio show.

It seems like as much as some of you hate KFAN and vow to never listen again, what most of you would really like to see is more non-negative coverage of Golden Gopher football on that station. Or maybe at least more-informed coverage.

Maybe one of you could approach Dan or Chad and become a "regular" guest on his show? He has lots of regularly scheduled guests on. It could make for great radio. Certainly the GHer would be knowledgable, passionate, and ready to give the fans side of the story. Great radio can be made when two opposing viewpoints are made?

Take this situation and make something positive out of it. Stop the namecalling and attacks. You know Gopher football wants good publicity and KFAN wants listeners.

Just a thought from a Hawkeye fan.

Great idea in principle but this would never happen.

It shouldn't have to be one of us. And, realistically, one of us wouldn't have much credibility with their listeners. If they really want to cover Gopher sports and they're not capable of becoming informed on their own, isn't it their responsibility to find someone credible to talk to? (Again, that is IF they want to.)

Barriero doesn't follow hockey, so he talks to Lou Nanne regularly to discuss the Wild and Gophers. They have LaVelle E. Neal to talk Twins. They have Seifert every week to talk Vikings and NFL. How about Marcus Fuller or Kent Youngblood, if they aren't aware of anybody else? Jack Brewer, Justin Conzemius or Mark Rosen, who is much more objective and knowlegeable on Gopher sports than anybody else there? These guys are already affilitated with KFAN. They can't do 20 minutes per week with Barriero during the season? Someone from the Goal Line Club, GH or GI. An assistant with the coaching staff.

They have people they already know and work with. And there are many others they could get to know. It's really not that difficult. If they really wanted to do this, they could. Easily. They just don't.

Anything just to bring more attention to how pathetic, impatient, and fairweather Minnesotans and gopher fans are, right??

You might be a pigeye fan, but you sure are smart. :)

Watch out for this guy, gopher fans! This guy is trying to fuel the fire on a level even higher than our humble little message board!!

Anything just to bring more attention to how pathetic, impatient, and fairweather Minnesotans and gopher fans are, right??

You might be a pigeye fan, but you sure are smart. :)

Watch out for this guy, gopher fans! This guy is trying to fuel the fire on a level even higher than our humble little message board!!

Thank God he started an entirely new thread on the subject. Much needed.

My guess is KFAN had a meeting and has determined how the air talent should cover this gopher football/sports thing. It sure seems good cop bad cop. Either way the program tips and they have it covered. this appears to be orchestrated on KFAN's part somewhat scripted.

Still, something to think about

I'll throw out a big "yeah, but..."

"It shouldn't have to be one of us." - I agree, no, it shouldn't. But why not? You guys are passionate about Gopher football and follow recruiting, spring games, off season workout reports, don't you?

"And, realistically, one of us wouldn't have much credibility with their listeners." - He takes calls from regular Joes all the time. And besides, if I had my own sports talk show, you could bet I would find out Selection Sunday's phone number and get him a regular spot on my show to talk NCAA hoops. It would take two shows for everyone to realize he has more credibility than Joe Lunardi.

"Do you actually think Barrero will let a Rube on the air who actually knows facts and who thinks just about the opposite of Barrero on everything related to Gopher FB..." - That much I don't know about.

You have to remember that Barreiro's schtick is "savagery" or however he spells it. He has a way of looking at everything and pointing out the negative. He has been critical of just about every player or coach in the Twin Cities. Some more harshly than others, but everyone just the same at one time or another. If the Twins have a great bottom of the ninth comeback win, he finds a way to rip the starting pitcher for getting in the hole in the first place.

As far as having thin skin and not wanting to be contradicted, haven't you listened to other talk radio shows? Like AirAmerica or Rush or Sean or Jason Lewis? It's not like there are a lot of opposing views that get by without ridicule on those shows, let along taken seriously.

Anyway, I just had an idea and thought I would share. Take it for what it is worth.

We're not radio hosts. And in any case, they shouldn't need our help. They are supposed to know more about sports than any of us, it's their job.

I'd do it, but I already appear on the show as Carl Gerbschimdt. It's OK for Little Danny to mock the state of Wisconsin on a daily basis, but God forbid anyone should make fun of Mr. Clean.

I'd do it, but I already appear on the show as Carl Gerbschimdt. It's OK for Little Danny to mock the state of Wisconsin on a daily basis, but God forbid anyone should make fun of Mr. Clean.

I do miss Carl since I have shunned The Fan. Pure genius whoever he is.

Top Bottom