Kentucky guys

denguegopher

Reaction score
I know that people have expressed concern about the d-line for next year. Any insight into whether Wilhite or Combs have shown any promise? If not either of them, please tell me that there is a pass rusher somewhere on the roster. Go Gophers!

According to the roster on gophersports, they're both DEs

I think mcKinley was used primarily as a pass rusher. That seems to be his strength. But mostly I think our more experienced and deeper DT's will make the DE's appear to be improved. I think we'll make up for Willie's absence through overall improvement if that's your worry.

Combs is no longer on the DL. He was moved to TE during the course of last season and now I've heard that he was moved to RB. He sounds like a talented athlete that they are still trying to find the right spot for.

Expect McKinley to try to fill the shoes of Van De Steeg. The top 4 DE's will be McKinley, Onwauchi, Jacobs, and Henderson unless Wilhite can compete for PT.

If players improve from year-to-year the DT's should be better next year because the top 5 in the two deep return (Small-Sr, Brown-Sr, Moen-Sr, Edwards-So, Kirksey-So).

I'm worried

For the 2010 season we are going to be DANGEROUSLY thin on the interior of the Defensive Line.

For the 2010 season we are going to be DANGEROUSLY thin on the interior of the Defensive Line.

I'm more worried about DE than DT. Assuming no defections, the DT's will be Edwards (Jr), Kirksey (Jr), Searcy (RS-Fr or So), Jacques (RS-Fr or So), and whoever we bring in in the 2010 class. Somebody like Beau Allen could provide depth from day one like Edwards & Kirksey did this year. We'll probably look at add a Juco DT in this class unless everybody is coming along very well this spring/fall. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Anthony Jacobs make a move over to DT from DE given his size.

At DE we have Jacobs from the 2007 class (assuming he stays at DE), Wilhite from the 2008 class and Garin and Gregory-McGhee from the 2009 class and both need to add 30 lbs to play DE in the Big Ten. We definitely need to add at least one Juco and I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to bring in 2 Juco DE's.

Top Bottom