Keeping PJ Fleck at Minnesota

You have to pay for the Championship before you get the Championship.

And if they finish 7-6 or 8-5 this need to extended him asap sentiment will go away as fast as it showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if they finish 7-6 or 8-5 this need to extended him asap sentiment will go away as fast as it showed up.

Coyle has been extending every year, so I would expect the same unless he wants to give PJ the message he doesn't want him anymore.
So 99% chance there is an extension. It's all a question on price now. It would be odd with this many sophomores playing to not extend another year based of a worst-case 6 win season.
The extension would come before the Bowl game.

Coyle has been extending every year, so I would expect the same unless he wants to give PJ the message he doesn't want him anymore.
So 99% chance there is an extension. It's all a question on price now. It would be odd with this many sophomores playing to not extend another year based of a worst-case 6 win season.
The extension would come before the Bowl game.

It’s been one year extensions. I am referring to a long term extension. Such as extending him 5 years at 4 million plus a year.

It’s way too early for that type of deal.

Yes - last I checked the Gophers haven’t won the B1G West, the B1G Championship game or played in the Rose Bowl with Fleck as the head coach.

So, you’re arguing that one of those has to happen before he gets an extension? If that’s the case, we’ll be cycling through coaches every few years until long after we’re all dead.

If we want to get to Iowa or Wisconsin levels of success, we need the coach who can elevate our program (Fry, Alvarez) to decide to turn down greener pastures. If Coyle thinks Fleck is that guy - and it’s starting to look like he might be - then we gotta do whatever it takes to keep him.

What exactly has Fleck done as far as the actual play on the field goes that he deserves an extension?

Things seem to be trending in the right direction but locking him up with a huge contract extension seems a bit premature.

Yep. That pretty much gets to the point of it all.

So, you’re arguing that one of those has to happen before he gets an extension? If that’s the case, we’ll be cycling through coaches every few years until long after we’re all dead.

I am talking about a long term extension. Don’t see the need for that at this point as some have suggested.

It’s been one year extensions. I am referring to a long term extension. Such as extending him 5 years at 4 million plus a year.

It’s way too early for that type of deal.

In the world of big boy college football the numbers you are throwing around are insulting. Jumbo Fischer signed a $75 million dollar contract at aTm and he hasn't produced anything yet.

Minnesota needs to sh** or get off the pot. Anything less than $5,000,000 a year with an opportunity to make another couple million will be a minimum to keep PJ at Minnesota.

Wait until the regular season is over and then pay the man.

Barreiro is probably the only person on KFAN that I can't listen to. Takes pompous to another level. And when he's consistently wrong, never admits it, and continues to hate on local teams.....I don't understand what his draw is.

Barreiro is probably the only person on KFAN that I can't listen to. Takes pompous to another level. And when he's consistently wrong, never admits it, and continues to hate on local teams.....I don't understand what his draw is.

Correct.
Not sure why anyone would listen to him over NPR.

I guess the alternative is risking losing him (and taking a bunch of recruits with him, and possibly more through the transfer portal), and starting over from scratch, with a new coach who may, or may not work out. There would likely be at least a couple lean years, but we’ve been through that many times, so no big deal.

If we finish with 10 wins this year and haven't extended him long-term then he's gone, with all of his recruits, and Minnesota will be dead last in the division within two years.
You don't want to wait until he's already a 10 win coach to lock him down. You won't be able to afford him.
If he's 8-0 then Minnesota needs to get it done during the bye week or risk losing him.

Last edited:

If the team finishes strong extend him with a healthy raise. Besides USC, TN I can’t think of any bigger programs that might be looking for new coaches this year and willing to pay $$. Rutgers...no. USC is very insular and very traditional - can’t see it happening. FSU is stuck with their coach for at least another year. Some of you can probably generate some possible landing spots.

If the team finishes strong, goes to a Big Bowl the increase in season tickets should cover any necessary raise.

All this assumes he wants to stay here long term. Maybe, maybe not. I’d like to think so as there is opportunity to build a national brand and high level competitor.

I don’t agree that bigger programs would shy away from him because of Row the Boat. They care about winning. If they want him.....”here’s $7 million per year, and no personal branding in the uniform, take it or leave it.” He very well may leave it. In that case, I guess we’d be stuck with him.

During the non conference season there were posters on here saying Fleck was in over his head. Yet his team was 3-0.

His team starts 3-0 in conference and now it’s pay the man.

If his team finishes winless in November this will all go back to in over his head.

It needs to play out and see how the season finishes.

I used to talk to PA out at Canterbury from time to time and he said something about DB that stuck with me. Half the People love him, Half the People hate him, Everyone listens to him. He is very good at what he does. Trying to be liked is not what he does.

We've NOT been through that many times before!

I guess the alternative is risking losing him (and taking a bunch of recruits with him, and possibly more through the transfer portal), and starting over from scratch, with a new coach who may, or may not work out. There would likely be at least a couple lean years, but we’ve been through that many times, so no big deal.

When you look at our history of changing coaches, only Lou Holtz was hired away. The rest (John Gutekunts, Jim Wacker, Glen Mason, Time Brewster, Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys) all were fired, or in Kill's case, retired due to medical conditions. And starting over is a VERY big deal. I've always stated that Minnesotans are paranoid about having a successful coach. The minute there is even a HINT of turning the program around, the speculation begins as to where and when he will depart from the U of M. The U has 2 choices, either hire a mediocre coach that nobody is going to want, OR hire a dynamic coach who turns the program around and then be ready when every school looking for a new coach, has him on top of their "wish list". We need to be prepared for it, head it off at the pass, and do what it takes to keep a coach who is worth it (similar to what Wisconsin, Iowa have done to build continuity and a successful program). My feeling is that Fleck really likes it here...we have a great city, a great University, finally have excellent facilities. All the U needs to do is NOT screw it up. Give him what he needs to compete for a BIG 10 title. I think that Coyle knows the score and will do what it takes.

If he leaves we are starting over again.

So may as well be proactive and get the multi year extension written up.
He's a top 20 coach now and he should be paid like one.
Top 20 coaches make a minimum of $4.3 million. Seems like a good starting point.

When you look at our history of changing coaches, only Lou Holtz was hired away. The rest (John Gutekunts, Jim Wacker, Glen Mason, Time Brewster, Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys) all were fired, or in Kill's case, retired due to medical conditions. And starting over is a VERY big deal. I've always stated that Minnesotans are paranoid about having a successful coach. The minute there is even a HINT of turning the program around, the speculation begins as to where and when he will depart from the U of M. The U has 2 choices, either hire a mediocre coach that nobody is going to want, OR hire a dynamic coach who turns the program around and then be ready when every school looking for a new coach, has him on top of their "wish list". We need to be prepared for it, head it off at the pass, and do what it takes to keep a coach who is worth it (similar to what Wisconsin, Iowa have done to build continuity and a successful program). My feeling is that Fleck really likes it here...we have a great city, a great University, finally have excellent facilities. All the U needs to do is NOT screw it up. Give him what he needs to compete for a BIG 10 title. I think that Coyle knows the score and will do what it takes.

+1,000,000

Fans need to stop thinking like we are a MAC school. If the administration at the U is willing to give him the support and resources he needs to compete in the Big Ten then there is ZERO reason for him to look elsewhere. In the past the administrative support hasn't been there but it feels like that has shifted. Pay a competitive salary, keep the facilities up to date and there should be very few offers out there that a team could make that would be more attractive then what he has here.

Fleck's wholistic approach won't fly at some places. Minnesota on the other hand has bought in fully to Row the Boat and his concept of culture. Would be shocked to see him want to go start over somewhere else just to add a few dollars to his bank account. If he can build a winner in the Big Ten, there won't be many options more attractive then that.

MN nice accepts RTB well (not everyone loves it, but most understand it and live with it). I can’t see many other destinations (ones that would be a step up from MN and come calling) that would buy it. An SEC school? UCLA? Don’t think so.

IF PJ can make top 20 money here and turn us back into a giant, than why leave.
NFL could come calling, but that's a 3-5 year gig on average. Become the next Alvarez, Ferentz, Fitzgerald. 20 years at $4-5 million plus isn't a bad idea.

MN nice accepts RTB well (not everyone loves it, but most understand it and live with it). I can’t see many other destinations (ones that would be a step up from MN and come calling) that would buy it. An SEC school? UCLA? Don’t think so.

Couldn’t disagree more. Creating a winning culture trumps all and PJ would be a hoot to see in the SEC going up against the likes of a tight-lipped Coach Saban. It’s just my opinion but UCLA and many others are going to come calling and we better be proactive when it comes to locking up Coach Fleck.

If we finish with 10 wins this year and haven't extended him long-term then he's gone, with all of his recruits, and Minnesota will be dead last in the division within two years.
You don't want to wait until he's already a 10 win coach to lock him down. You won't be able to afford him.
If he's 8-0 then Minnesota needs to get it done during the bye week or risk losing him.

I agree with this completely. This is exactly what I am talking about. You might think let's wait on this until the end of the year but I don't think you have that luxury, especially if he is 8-0 heading into the bye week. It gets extremely risky after that - if he wins 10 games this season he will possibly be the hottest name out there for a big school who wants to upgrade their program and win which is pretty much everyone who isn't at the top levels.

Fleck seems happy here but he seemed happy at WMU too. I think you take care of this now before it gets to be something you can't control.

Good post. I can tell you have been a Gopher fan as long as I have because you get it.

A message to our fan base:

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO HAVE A LEGENDARY COACH!

For those calling to do it now, you don't think PJ realizes he has more leverage if he waits until season end? It might not solely be up to the U...

For now, I'm just enjoying season. Not going to worry about locking up PJ or PJ Leaving. I don't think he leaves, but if he does, can always raid NDSU coaching staff

He’s such a damn know it all, can’t stand that dude. Just yesterday he was talking as if he knows **** about Fleck, but then he didn’t even know how many regular season games are played in college football.

He’s such a damn know it all, can’t stand that dude. Just yesterday he was talking as if he knows **** about Fleck, but then he didn’t even know how many regular season games are played in college football.

The media is starting to do a quick "catch up" on Gopher knowledge at this point. Many are hoping the Vikings stay relevant so they don't have to talk as much Gophers, but their lazy stance of continually mocking the team not understanding any of the roster doesn't work if the team keeps winning.

Some will move the goal posts to win a major bowl game, win a Rose Bowl, win a CFP and get back to us, but for the media who actually want to do their job, they are now trying to learn about 2.5 years of football over a couple week period so they can speak somewhat about the topic of Gopher Football.

Top Bottom