Keeping PJ Fleck at Minnesota

scools12

What exactly has Fleck done as far as the actual play on the field goes that he deserves an extension?

Things seem to be trending in the right direction but locking him up with a huge contract extension seems a bit premature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoustonTXGopher

What exactly has Fleck done as far as the actual play on the field goes that he deserves an extension?

Things seem to be trending in the right direction but locking him up with a huge contract extension seems a bit premature.

You serious Clark?

Jeshurun

King of the Too's
My completely uninformed take is that the beauty of his schlock is that the helmet schools wouldn’t want it. Maybe this is naïveté but I don’t see him leaving us unless he gets fired.

How much of a risk is there of him leaving for somewhere else? More importantly, would a long-term contract really help keep him? If he leaves I'm guessing it will be because he feels he doesn't have room to bring the program up any more. At Western Michigan that bar was lower. At Minnesota, it seems like there's not much that I could see capping his success. If he ends up leaving I think it will be for recruiting reasons or because he doesn't feel he's getting enough support. I don't see how more money or a longer contract would help with either of those.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
Extending Fleck has to be Coyle's number 1 job right now through Thanksgiving.
He's extended him the last two years, so this is nothing unusual.
Only difference will be the price.

If Fleck finishes 6-6, it will be an extension at $3 mill a year
If he finishes 7-5, $3.5 mill
8 wins= $3.75 mill
9 wins = $4.0 mill
10 wins = 4.25 mill
11 wins = 4.5 mill
Anything greater than that $5-8 mill a year.

Face The Facts

Fleck Superfan
And if they finish 7-6 or 8-5 this need to extended him asap sentiment will go away as fast as it showed up.

Coyle has been extending every year, so I would expect the same unless he wants to give PJ the message he doesn't want him anymore.
So 99% chance there is an extension. It's all a question on price now. It would be odd with this many sophomores playing to not extend another year based of a worst-case 6 win season.
The extension would come before the Bowl game.

scools12

Coyle has been extending every year, so I would expect the same unless he wants to give PJ the message he doesn't want him anymore.
So 99% chance there is an extension. It's all a question on price now. It would be odd with this many sophomores playing to not extend another year based of a worst-case 6 win season.
The extension would come before the Bowl game.
It’s been one year extensions. I am referring to a long term extension. Such as extending him 5 years at 4 million plus a year.

It’s way too early for that type of deal.

PitinoFan

Yes - last I checked the Gophers haven’t won the B1G West, the B1G Championship game or played in the Rose Bowl with Fleck as the head coach.

So, you’re arguing that one of those has to happen before he gets an extension? If that’s the case, we’ll be cycling through coaches every few years until long after we’re all dead.

SPEGOPHER

If we want to get to Iowa or Wisconsin levels of success, we need the coach who can elevate our program (Fry, Alvarez) to decide to turn down greener pastures. If Coyle thinks Fleck is that guy - and it’s starting to look like he might be - then we gotta do whatever it takes to keep him.

Bayfieldgopher

Yep. That pretty much gets to the point of it all.

scools12

So, you’re arguing that one of those has to happen before he gets an extension? If that’s the case, we’ll be cycling through coaches every few years until long after we’re all dead.

I am talking about a long term extension. Don’t see the need for that at this point as some have suggested.

HoustonTXGopher

It’s been one year extensions. I am referring to a long term extension. Such as extending him 5 years at 4 million plus a year.

It’s way too early for that type of deal.

In the world of big boy college football the numbers you are throwing around are insulting. Jumbo Fischer signed a $75 million dollar contract at aTm and he hasn't produced anything yet.

Minnesota needs to sh** or get off the pot. Anything less than $5,000,000 a year with an opportunity to make another couple million will be a minimum to keep PJ at Minnesota.

Wait until the regular season is over and then pay the man.

Latest profile posts