G Man

Reaction score
I just received permission to post a personal e-mail which I thought a few on this board would find perhaps a bit heartwarming. As some may recall, one of the GI guys arranged for a Goal Line Club member with terminal cancer (Ron Risvold) and his brother Dave to join me in a private box I rented for the MSU game. This past weekend I communicated with Dave, who indicated Ron has bravely undergone four chemotherapy sessions but was failing. I loved the hopeful reply though: “Brew was extended 2 years today, and Seantrel Henderson will be a Gopher next Wednesday. I told Ron it’s his Birthday present which is next Thursday the 4th.”

What struck me was the pure innocence of the statement. The comment was uncompromising, unequivocal, and unapologetic. I accepted their offer to view a website called caringbridge that was dedicated to Ron. In reading some of the e-mails, those adjectives also described how Ron, his family, and his friends have approached his cancer, his treatment, and his pending departure. It’s amazing how dignified and resolute everyone has been. Often there were references to their shared Gopher loyalties and how those memories of community served to inspire him. Even Coach Brewster came on board to send him an autographed ball with a personal note that really touched Ron.

I have never considered Henderson a viable recruit for a single nanosecond over the past 2 years. Yet when I read the e-mail, I felt such an inner calm about the belief he would commit. There was no desire or instinct to scoff, giggle, or deride. I felt eerily like the MSU game. I have personally witnessed most of the true landmark Gopher demises in the past 3 decades from the 84 - 13 Nebraska game, the Michigan meltdown, the Wisconsin punt block, the Northwestern and Purdue 4th quarter implosions, and the Texas Tech massacre. I’m almost conditioned to expect a loss, but those thoughts never once entered my mind during the MSU game because Ron was there. It was like God would not let the Gophers lose that game because Ron deserved to see a winner. I just laughed when the ball bounced off Tow Arnett to Bennett, saying to a friend "the angels held it up in the air for him to catch". It was such a surreal experience compared to the usual circumstance of watching defeat being rescued from the jaws of victory.

Lots of people have gone out of their way to thank me for my generosity in giving the Risvolds tickets to my box, but in reality I was the one who received the greater gift. I wish we all could have the courage to believe without reservation, to endure despite overwhelming odds, to be noble in the face of defeat and chose to redefine it. College sports seems to have sold its soul a long time ago, but there are still moments that transcend the outcome or performance. In the end, we usually remember the friends who shared those moments, friends we never cherish as much as we should.

We often joke about being cursed, of being victims, which I choose to discount. But I do believe in Karma. Here’s a terrific guy staring at the end of life without remorse or regret, choosing to celebrate life to whatever end may be. In three days will likely be his last birthday. Tomorrow he will be logging on to find out who will be the next group to wear the Maroon and Gold. Hope will spring eternal on one of his favorite days of the year. I vote give Ron his birthday present.

Aspire to greatness,

Mark D. Miller MD
www.toc-stl.com

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:20 PM
To: Mark Miller
Subject: RE: Thank you
Hi Mark,

Ron is fighting the battle but struggling. He’s currently in the Hospital in Edina and should get out this weekend. He’s been through 4 rounds of chemo, and I believe that they are done with that due to his weak condition.

His Daughter Chris started a CaringBridge site for him.

You can reach it at www.caringbridge.org/visit/ronrisvold

It just asks you for an email and password to set up you up to view.

He would love to hear from you. Thank you so much for your care and concern.

Brew was extended 2 years today, and Seantrel Henderson will be a Gopher next Wednesday. I told Ron that it’s his Birthday present which is next Thursday the 4th.

Take care Mark,

Dave

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:00 PM
To: Risvold, Dave

Over Christmas, I was thinking of your brother. How is he holding up? I hope I am not intruding, just wanted to wish him strength and comfort.

Mark
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 10:26 AM
Subject: Thank you
Hi Mark,

I wanted to thank you again on behalf of my brother Ron and myself for your hospitality at the Minnesota - Michigan State game.

I don’t know how much you knew, but Ron has Stage 4 Cancer and his prognosis is poor at best. What a highlight to be able to get him to one more Gopher game.

It was Ron, who took me to my first Gopher game 42 years ago when I was 10. It was a big win over Wisconsin.

He starts chemo on Tuesday, and has a rough road ahead. Your kindness and generosity were greatly appreciated. You went out of your way to make certain that we were having a great time and had what we needed. You also have a great group of friends.

It was a great boost to his spirits as he heads into the uncertainty of his treatment, and we can’t thank you enough.

It was also very nice of you to order that big win!!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!!

Many thanks,

Dave Risvold
This post was edited on 2/2 3:03 PM by mdmillermd

Posted on 2/2 2:34 PM | IP: Logged

Thank you for this. This is an incredible, heartwarming story, but what on earth it has to do with Seantrel Henderson is beyond me. I think the karma you are awaiting might go by the initials "J.L." And if it is your karma responsible for delivering him to the U, then I thank you again, brother.

Thanks for this beautiful post.

It sounds as if Ron is surrounded by friends and family and has an incredible outlook on life. May we all be so fortunate.

I hope Ron is at peace and is able to continue the fight.

Hats off to thee' Ron!

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for sharing. My thoughts and prayers are with you Ron.

Stay strong Ron, and thank you for allowing us to share this.

to add sentreal henderson to this is ridiculous!

but on a PERSONAL level, Cancer is a horrible disease and i wish him the best, watching a loved one pass away due to this is the worst thing a person can go through in their lives.

god bless ron

Thank you for this. This is an incredible, heartwarming story, but what on earth it has to do with Seantrel Henderson is beyond me. I think the karma you are awaiting might go by the initials "J.L." And if it is your karma responsible for delivering him to the U, then I thank you again, brother.

to add sentreal henderson to this is ridiculous!

but on a PERSONAL level, Cancer is a horrible disease and i wish him the best, watching a loved one pass away due to this is the worst thing a person can go through in their lives.

god bless ron

You are both sad, pathetic louts. Relinquish your accounts. Today.

I just received permission to post a personal e-mail which I thought a few on this board would find perhaps a bit heartwarming. As some may recall, one of the GI guys arranged for a Goal Line Club member with terminal cancer (Ron Risvold) and his brother Dave to join me in a private box I rented for the MSU game. This past weekend I communicated with Dave, who indicated Ron has bravely undergone four chemotherapy sessions but was failing. I loved the hopeful reply though: “Brew was extended 2 years today, and Seantrel Henderson will be a Gopher next Wednesday. I told Ron it’s his Birthday present which is next Thursday the 4th.”

What struck me was the pure innocence of the statement. The comment was uncompromising, unequivocal, and unapologetic. I accepted their offer to view a website called caringbridge that was dedicated to Ron. In reading some of the e-mails, those adjectives also described how Ron, his family, and his friends have approached his cancer, his treatment, and his pending departure. It’s amazing how dignified and resolute everyone has been. Often there were references to their shared Gopher loyalties and how those memories of community served to inspire him. Even Coach Brewster came on board to send him an autographed ball with a personal note that really touched Ron.

I have never considered Henderson a viable recruit for a single nanosecond over the past 2 years. Yet when I read the e-mail, I felt such an inner calm about the belief he would commit. There was no desire or instinct to scoff, giggle, or deride. I felt eerily like the MSU game. I have personally witnessed most of the true landmark Gopher demises in the past 3 decades from the 84 - 13 Nebraska game, the Michigan meltdown, the Wisconsin punt block, the Northwestern and Purdue 4th quarter implosions, and the Texas Tech massacre. I’m almost conditioned to expect a loss, but those thoughts never once entered my mind during the MSU game because Ron was there. It was like God would not let the Gophers lose that game because Ron deserved to see a winner. I just laughed when the ball bounced off Tow Arnett to Bennett, saying to a friend "the angels held it up in the air for him to catch". It was such a surreal experience compared to the usual circumstance of watching defeat being rescued from the jaws of victory.

Lots of people have gone out of their way to thank me for my generosity in giving the Risvolds tickets to my box, but in reality I was the one who received the greater gift. I wish we all could have the courage to believe without reservation, to endure despite overwhelming odds, to be noble in the face of defeat and chose to redefine it. College sports seems to have sold its soul a long time ago, but there are still moments that transcend the outcome or performance. In the end, we usually remember the friends who shared those moments, friends we never cherish as much as we should.

We often joke about being cursed, of being victims, which I choose to discount. But I do believe in Karma. Here’s a terrific guy staring at the end of life without remorse or regret, choosing to celebrate life to whatever end may be. In three days will likely be his last birthday. Tomorrow he will be logging on to find out who will be the next group to wear the Maroon and Gold. Hope will spring eternal on one of his favorite days of the year. I vote give Ron his birthday present.

Aspire to greatness,

Mark D. Miller MD
www.toc-stl.com

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:20 PM
Hi Mark,

Ron is fighting the battle but struggling. He’s currently in the Hospital in Edina and should get out this weekend. He’s been through 4 rounds of chemo, and I believe that they are done with that due to his weak condition.

His Daughter Chris started a CaringBridge site for him.

You can reach it at www.caringbridge.org/visit/ronrisvold

It just asks you for an email and password to set up you up to view.

He would love to hear from you. Thank you so much for your care and concern.

Brew was extended 2 years today, and Seantrel Henderson will be a Gopher next Wednesday. I told Ron that it’s his Birthday present which is next Thursday the 4th.

Take care Mark,

Dave

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:00 PM
To: Risvold, Dave

Over Christmas, I was thinking of your brother. How is he holding up? I hope I am not intruding, just wanted to wish him strength and comfort.

Mark
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 10:26 AM
Subject: Thank you
Hi Mark,

I wanted to thank you again on behalf of my brother Ron and myself for your hospitality at the Minnesota - Michigan State game.

I don’t know how much you knew, but Ron has Stage 4 Cancer and his prognosis is poor at best. What a highlight to be able to get him to one more Gopher game.

It was Ron, who took me to my first Gopher game 42 years ago when I was 10. It was a big win over Wisconsin.

He starts chemo on Tuesday, and has a rough road ahead. Your kindness and generosity were greatly appreciated. You went out of your way to make certain that we were having a great time and had what we needed. You also have a great group of friends.

It was a great boost to his spirits as he heads into the uncertainty of his treatment, and we can’t thank you enough.

It was also very nice of you to order that big win!!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!!

Many thanks,

Dave Risvold
This post was edited on 2/2 3:03 PM by mdmillermd

Posted on 2/2 2:34 PM | IP: Logged

This puts football in perspective. We need to remember what is important in life. LIFE is not football. Football is just a sport, Winning is Life!!! Life is a journey, not a race. Even though some people are towards the end of their journey, it is up to us to make sure their names and memories will live on. Dr. Mark I want to personally thank you for being the kind of person that will keep on spreading hope, faith, and caring to those who need it!!

Go Gophers!!

God Bless you, sir.

I just send a brief PM to Ron on through the caringbridge link and hope to stay in touch even though I don't know him.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you for posting to Ron's Caringbridge site. You may not know him but he has followed your posts over the years. Thanks again for taking the time.

Top Bottom