K. Whaley police report from Scottsdale New Year's Eve

It's too bad he had some promise but sounds like he is kind of a hot head. There is no place for that in our program.

This is what's wrong with college football. A University that lauds itself as a premier institution, wants to take only the top 10% of high school grads - and then allows a thug culture on the football team. Whaley should have have never been allowed to enroll at the U after the incident in Virgnia. Brewster isn't the problem - it's Maturi.

http://www1.umn.edu/pres/
This sounds like a code word to me.

I'm guessing that Whaley was told to ask for his release so that it wouldn't hurt the team's academic performance record.

I have a question about how teams handle bowl games. More specifically, I'm wondering why the Gopher football players were able to go out on the town at all after the game? Is that usual or unusual for the players on a bowl trip?

I have no experience with how a team schedules team activities around bowl games, but I guess I find it odd that after a bowl game ends, the players would be free to hit the town. In my head I'm envisioning players hopping into cabs and heading to Mill Street for a night of fun but isn't giving the kids that much freedom sort of asking for trouble? For all I know every team allows for that sort of flexibility in the player's schedules while at the bowl site, but I really have no idea what is standard for teams.

I don't know if I expect that teams will bus back to the hotel after the game and stay there or what, but for some reason I'm finding it hard to believe that they can all just go hit the bars in Phoenix if they want to (and are 21). If they are, lucky them as the bars around the ASU campus are awesome. If so, was there a curfew? Do they have to cab or are there team-sponsored shuttles? Are there chaperones who are supposed to keep an eye on the players to try and head off trouble? If anyone has any insight as to how bowl teams handle nightlife while on the trip I'd be interested in learning more about it. TIA.

I'm guessing that Whaley was told to ask for his release so that it wouldn't hurt the team's academic performance record.

I don't think that it matters. If he leaves the university in poor academic standing it doesn't matter if he was kicked out or if he asked for his release. The school would take a hit either way.

I say give him another shot. The kid from Oregon that sucker punched somebody on national tv got one.

This is what's wrong with college football. A University that lauds itself as a premier institution, wants to take only the top 10% of high school grads - and then allows a thug culture on the football team. Whaley should have have never been allowed to enroll at the U after the incident in Virgnia. Brewster isn't the problem - it's Maturi.

http://www1.umn.edu/pres/

It's the rap music, dreadlocks, braids and jewelry too, man!! If we only had more nice Scandanavian boys on the team, we'd be fine.

:rolleyes:

I have a question about how teams handle bowl games. More specifically, I'm wondering why the Gopher football players were able to go out on the town at all after the game? Is that usual or unusual for the players on a bowl trip?

I have no experience with how a team schedules team activities around bowl games, but I guess I find it odd that after a bowl game ends, the players would be free to hit the town. In my head I'm envisioning players hopping into cabs and heading to Mill Street for a night of fun but isn't giving the kids that much freedom sort of asking for trouble? For all I know every team allows for that sort of flexibility in the player's schedules while at the bowl site, but I really have no idea what is standard for teams.

I don't know if I expect that teams will bus back to the hotel after the game and stay there or what, but for some reason I'm finding it hard to believe that they can all just go hit the bars in Phoenix if they want to (and are 21). If they are, lucky them as the bars around the ASU campus are awesome. If so, was there a curfew? Do they have to cab or are there team-sponsored shuttles? Are there chaperones who are supposed to keep an eye on the players to try and head off trouble? If anyone has any insight as to how bowl teams handle nightlife while on the trip I'd be interested in learning more about it. TIA.

I've wondered about this too. I think the football staff has a responsibility to assure that players don't get into trouble for a three reasons. First, to protect the investment they've already made in each player. Second, to make sure parent's don't have to worry about their sons. And third, to not have anything happen that will negatively affect recruiting. Hopefully Maturi will have Brewster report on this and they'll make changes so it won't happen again.

These are grown adults. They are not 4th graders on a field trip. They should be allowed to roam around and see the city. But they should be responsible enough to NOT BREAK THE LAW.

I've wondered about this too. I think the football staff has a responsibility to assure that players don't get into trouble for a three reasons. First, to protect the investment they've already made in each player. Second, to make sure parent's don't have to worry about their sons. And third, to not have anything happen that will negatively affect recruiting. Hopefully Maturi will have Brewster report on this and they'll make changes so it won't happen again.

So do you honestly think these guys should be locked in a hotel the second they reach their bowl city, have a coach with them at all times, and only play the game and head right back? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Are they suppose to be on lockdown 24/7/365 as well? It would ensure they dont get into trouble. I cannot believe these comments. Just ignorant. The coaches and Maturi are not babysitters. These are adults that need to be responsible for their own actions. What Whaley did is absolutely nobody's fault but his own.

"There seems to be a double standard occurring among Gophers fans regarding issues within the U of M's athletic department, and it is quite obvious. With multiple allegations against Royce White and a sketchy past (expulsion from De La Salle), many people are saying, after each allegation surfaces, that he should be given a second and third chances, and Tubby should be able to turn him into a good young man. Fans are saying that he needs guidance not only to be able to get through the tough times and play basketball for the Gophers, but he needs guidance to secure a better future."

Yes, you could say "many" are saying that, but my observation on the basketball board is there are just as many people, if not more (myself included), who would have no problem if White was permanently booted from the basketball program. To infer that fans (on the basketball board) are overwhelmingly in favor of Tubby giving Royce second, third, fourth, etc. chances is a misrepresentation.

However it came about, I'm glad Whaley is no longer part of the Gopher program. I'll say the same thing if White is eventually booted.

What a waste. This guy had offers from PSU, MSU and Va Tech (among others).

So do you honestly think these guys should be locked in a hotel the second they reach their bowl city, have a coach with them at all times, and only play the game and head right back? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Are they suppose to be on lockdown 24/7/365 as well? It would ensure they dont get into trouble. I cannot believe these comments. Just ignorant. The coaches and Maturi are not babysitters. These are adults that need to be responsible for their own actions. What Whaley did is absolutely nobody's fault but his own.

Where did I say anything like this at all. You better wake up from your dreaming or your keyboard's gonna smack you in the face.

With that quip out of the way; there are many things that can be done to assure a safe and fun time without locking the players up. And you are right-on that Whaley has no one to blame but himself.

Where did I say anything like this at all. You better wake up from your dreaming or your keyboard's gonna smack you in the face.

With that quip out of the way; there are many things that can be done to assure a safe and fun time without locking the players up. And you are right-on that Whaley has no one to blame but himself.

You said the coaches have a responsibility to keep these kids out of trouble. Do you think they were told to go out and do whatever they want? Get into trouble? No, I am sure they were told to be back at a certain time and to NOT get into trouble. What else can they do?

You said the coaches have a responsibility to keep these kids out of trouble. Do you think they were told to go out and do whatever they want? Get into trouble? No, I am sure they were told to be back at a certain time and to NOT get into trouble. What else can they do?

Wow. You got all of that (locking the players down 24/7/365, turn the coaches into babysitters, my post was the most ridiculous thing you ever heard and that I'm ignorant to boot) from me writing that the coaches have a responsibility to their players, the program and the parents to help keep the kids out of trouble?

I guess your keyboard did smack you in the face because you must have a concussion or something. ;)

"There seems to be a double standard occurring among Gophers fans regarding issues within the U of M's athletic department, and it is quite obvious. With multiple allegations against Royce White and a sketchy past (expulsion from De La Salle), many people are saying, after each allegation surfaces, that he should be given a second and third chances, and Tubby should be able to turn him into a good young man. Fans are saying that he needs guidance not only to be able to get through the tough times and play basketball for the Gophers, but he needs guidance to secure a better future."

Yes, you could say "many" are saying that, but my observation on the basketball board is there are just as many people, if not more (myself included), who would have no problem if White was permanently booted from the basketball program. To infer that fans (on the basketball board) are overwhelmingly in favor of Tubby giving Royce second, third, fourth, etc. chances is a misrepresentation.

However it came about, I'm glad Whaley is no longer part of the Gopher program. I'll say the same thing if White is eventually booted.

I don't see a double standard here at all. For Whaley, he was involved in two incidents where there is little question about his guilt or innocence. Therefore, he is no longer on the team.

For Royce, he was charged for a crime and immediately suspended. Then he was named as a suspect in the laptop theft. Whether he is guilty is still being investigated (to my knowledge). If Royce is charged with theft, I don't think you will see too many people defending him if he is kicked off the team. If he is innocent however, I believe he deserves a second chance, just like Whaley received from Brewster.

Wow. You got all of that (locking the players down 24/7/365, turn the coaches into babysitters, my post was the most ridiculous thing you ever heard and that I'm ignorant to boot) from me writing that the coaches have a responsibility to their players, the program and the parents to help keep the kids out of trouble?

I guess your keyboard did smack you in the face because you must have a concussion or something. ;)

Please tell me what the coaches should have done differently. Because I see no problem with letting them have some free time after the bowl game. After all, they are ADULTS. You cannot hold back an entire team from enjoying themselves because of the possibility of 1 kid doing something stupid. Please remember that these are college kids, not high school.

This sounds like a code word to me.

Code word for what? Thugs?

The people who said Brewster was bringing in a lot of thugs might have been right. So long Dandridge, so long Whaley, RIP Damien White, I hope the other guys in that group with Whaley don't end up the next to go.

Please tell me what the coaches should have done differently. Because I see no problem with letting them have some free time after the bowl game. After all, they are ADULTS. You cannot hold back an entire team from enjoying themselves because of the possibility of 1 kid doing something stupid. Please remember that these are college kids, not high school.

How can any of us suggest what should have been done differently when we don't know what was done in the first place. Maybe they did all they could, but hopefully they'll at least review their rules and procedures to make sure we never again have more arrests than TDs at a bowl game.

FYI, in 1968 we lost to ASU and after the game we couldn't even swim in the hotel pool. Murray was pissed.

Top Bottom