Justin Gaard: Emptying The Notebook: Miami

I haven't really listened to the radio broadcasts, but I've really like these Emptying the Notebook features. Gaard picks up on and shares a lot of nice small but interesting details (see Gray's Gloves in this week's edition) and I appreciate that. Seems like he's doing good work.

Interesting with the gloves. I saw that, but didn't make the complete connection.

On Gray running 25 times, right now, he can get away with that. Probably not down the line. It's interesting though, there are drives when he's clearly gassed, and it seems that's when his accuracy takes a hit the most. It might just be a matter of Gray continuing to figure this QB thing out and how to handle throwing the ball when he's fatigued and what not.

Interesting with the gloves. I saw that, but didn't make the complete connection.

On Gray running 25 times, right now, he can get away with that. Probably not down the line. It's interesting though, there are drives when he's clearly gassed, and it seems that's when his accuracy takes a hit the most. It might just be a matter of Gray continuing to figure this QB thing out and how to handle throwing the ball when he's fatigued and what not.

The thing that I heard mentioned on the NMSU TV broadcast that I thought was astute is that b/c Gray is still getting comfortable as a QB, he is quicker to tuck and run rather than work his way through all his options. If he gets better at reading the field before he goes to his legs, that should be positive across the board (assuming his accuracy improves). He'll hit more wide open receivers and run less.

But yea, I worry about him getting hurt if he keeps toting it 25 times per game when the Gophers hit the meat of the B1G schedule.

You know if he would have ripped the team or the school there would have been 130 replies and 1200 views.

If you're trying to generate some web hits do you really need to trash the program or defend Maturi to do it?

Some noteworthy things in Gaard's column, none more shocking than an Iowa grad using a semi-colon.

The practice I went to during fall camps they practiced the punt block drill for about 15 minutes. I thought at the time it was weird that Duane Bennett was in on this drill, rushing in from the edge. The way he blocked that punt was EXACTLY the way they practiced that drill over and over.

That's the way coaching can make a difference.

Top Bottom