Josh Campion nearly missed his opportunity, but now he is back in maroon and gold

Great to read more about Josh. More than a number and a gray shirt. While they have him slotted toward right guard or right tackle, I believe he is best suited to play center.

“Football at FUMA was great. The level of football out there was nothing that I had experienced before,” said Campion.
Campion said the football played at Minnesota is 10 times faster than what he experienced at FUMA.

I am a little confused here. Is the football the same or better out east? Anybody know?

I think he's saying that FUMA was a step up from high school, but Minnesota is a HUGE step up.

I am a little confused here. Is the football the same or better out east? Anybody know?

Prep school football out east is much, much, MUCH better than small-town Minnesota football.

Just as a little bit of anecdotal evidence:

2009 outstate MN players signed to Division I-A scholarships: 3 (Campion, Dehn, Rengel)

2011 east coast prep school players (VA, NY, CT, ME, NJ, PA): 44

The majority of those 44 come from the two military prep schools in VA, Hargrave and Fork Union. The Fork Union team that Campion played for produced 16 Division I-A players by itself, and Hargrave produced 10. Without looking, I'd have to imagine those are easily the most DI-A players signed from one school in the country. I can't imagine any other school would even be close.

Wow that is impressive and thanks for the research.

I know it's old info, but the two schools that came to mind as having maybe that many were Miami Northwestern and Cleveland Glenville...Miami Northwestern HS had 10 go to D1-A in 2008 and Cleveland Glenville had 9 in 2011. Sixteen is a lot lot lot though.

Sixteen is a lot lot lot though.

Of course, they're helped by the fact that they are all a year older than HS players, and are basically equivalent to true freshmen in college, but 16 from one place is very impressive no matter how you look at it.

I believe Josh is going to be a big time contributor to our program. GO GOPHERS!

What a great story this Josh is. A kid dreaming about wearing the maroon and gold who worked hard with his second chance to get there. I am looking forward to seeing him play.

Top Bottom