Joseph Talks MN in Video

Not leaning and no timetable makes this drama continue. Just commit to the U and be done, Cory!

Great post. As we've been saying the past week, seems like it's down to Texas and Minn, and it's really anybodies guess at this point. If I had to place a bet, I'd say he commits here, but probably just because I'm reading into everything with my maroon and gold glasses.

Not leaning and no timetable makes this drama continue. Just commit to the U and be done, Cory!

"You know, I'm not really leaning anywhere" -With a big grin, he knows where (IMO).

"I don't have no time tables set but it should be soon though" -I'm betting real soon.

Only if he chooses to go somewhere other than Minnesota. Actually he seems like a real good kid. Come to the Barn, Cory!

After watching the video, I'm worried that he's going to choose Texas, and not Minnesota. Not sure if anyone else detected it, but he just kind of beamed/smiled when the interviewer talked about Texas and Tristan and Avery.

Man, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to think that way, so that I won't be so disappointed if he doesn't sign with the good guys.

After watching the video, I'm worried that he's going to choose Texas, and not Minnesota. Not sure if anyone else detected it, but he just kind of beamed/smiled when the interviewer talked about Texas and Tristan and Avery.

Man, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to think that way, so that I won't be so disappointed if he doesn't sign with the good guys.

ehh he didnt really smile, youre paranoid

GOTR

Where did he pick him to go again? Marquette? He's probably Big East bound like his friend Maurice Walker.

Just kidding :)

Gopher Warrior picks in the Point Guard contest:

#25 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Gopher Warrior
Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cory Joseph: Texas
Brandon Knight: Kentucky
Josh Selby: Kansas
Ray McCallum: UCLA

what worries me is every time MN is brought up he mentions Tubby and Devoe and then says but" devoe wants whats best for me" He wouldnt say this every time if he was going to be a gopher.

IMO he seems pretty well coached (or personally prepared) in handling these interviews and comments. He mentions all the schools. He sticks to generalities e.g. 'I like the coach' etc. One thing he said about Texas is a tad more specific in terms of his generalities though. When mentioning Texas, he says, 'I like the style they play'.

I watched a few clips or videos of his play earlier this year and I thought he looked very good but not spectacular though (I am no expert - even tho I am the 2 time winner of Snowman's PPD). Last weekend I watched a little more extended action of him playing in the all-star game and with his Findlay team. There he looked well beyond very good - I might even say Spectacular (on the hyperbolic internet). He handles the ball extremely well. He has great court vision. He is a true point guard and involves everyone in the offense. He shoots terrific. His hands are always active on defense (Tubby would like that).

I think the weather in Texas would be terrible for a Toronto native, eh?

Even though he would have to move a bit north coming to the Twin Cities from Toronto, Cory should be a Gopher. I hope fellow Canadian and family friend Mo commits this weekend to continue the momentum in our favor.

ehh he didnt really smile, youre paranoid

LOL. Nah, not paranoid...just sitting on pins and needles, hoping beyond hope that both Cory and Maurice Walker sign with the Gophers. If that happens, I think the future of this program is unlimited.

LOL. Nah, not paranoid...just sitting on pins and needles, hoping beyond hope that both Cory and Maurice Walker sign with the Gophers. If that happens, I think the future of this program is unlimited.

agreed. I think he smirked when asked about minny and texas

If he was going to MN he would have committed awhile ago. There is no reason to wait to commit here.

If he weren't coming here it makes sense to wait it out (as he has been doing) to see who all is going to the NBA from the likes of the other schools he is considering.

I just don't get why he would wait so long if he were going to commit here. It's not like he doesn't know the coaches or other players here. Nothing diferent about Minnesota is going to be discovered in the next week or two.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've felt for awhile since he hasn't already committed here he isn't going to.

While I get what you're saying, it still doesn't really make sense. I agree that he's waiting to see who declares for the draft and which other players commit to the schools he's looking at, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't still commit here. I think it probably means that if he were to get equal playing time everywhere that MN probably wouldn't be his first choice. However, if by the end of the signing period he finds out that he wants to come here the most because he'll get the most playing time here right away, the idea that he would've committed already if he were coming doesn't make sense.

If he was going to MN he would have committed awhile ago. There is no reason to wait to commit here.

If he weren't coming here it makes sense to wait it out (as he has been doing) to see who all is going to the NBA from the likes of the other schools he is considering.

I just don't get why he would wait so long if he were going to commit here. It's not like he doesn't know the coaches or other players here. Nothing diferent about Minnesota is going to be discovered in the next week or two.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've felt for awhile since he hasn't already committed here he isn't going to.

While I get what you're saying, it still doesn't really make sense. I agree that he's waiting to see who declares for the draft and which other players commit to the schools he's looking at, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't still commit here. I think it probably means that if he were to get equal playing time everywhere that MN probably wouldn't be his first choice. However, if by the end of the signing period he finds out that he wants to come here the most because he'll get the most playing time here right away, the idea that he would've committed already if he were coming doesn't make sense.

The problem is that it's not about IMMEDIATE playing time - IMO if it were he would already be here. He's seeing what option has the most playing time down the road. And since he knows he could play as much as he wanted here down the line, it means he is looking at the best option of the other schools on his list.

This is also the same reason why all of the best unsigned prospects are point guards. They are all waiting to see how everything plays out.

To me, since he knows what he will have here already, there is very very little chance he will sign here, unless somehow every other option falls through the cracks.

Maybe he wanted to see how Minnesota's season played out before he committed? Maybe he wanted to see how Devoe's year would end up being before committing to the U? It's ludicrous to say that he's not coming here cause he's waiting to make his decision. Minnesota has a lot of variables too, including whether Tubby would be here or not. Cory might just wanted to make sure everything is settled before choosing.

Minnesota has a lot of variables too, including whether Tubby would be here or not.

Then why would any HS basketball player commit before the last possible second? Coaches change all the time. Surely you don't think this could be the reason he is waiting. By implying this, you would assume that Cory has very little trust in Tubby since he has stated numerous times ne is intending to stay here. And if for some reason he did leave, Cory would have the option to look elsewhere anyway, even if he had already committed here. So again, the "tubby might leave" reasoning doesn't make any sense.

The problem is that it's not about IMMEDIATE playing time - IMO if it were he would already be here. He's seeing what option has the most playing time down the road. And since he knows he could play as much as he wanted here down the line, it means he is looking at the best option of the other schools on his list.

This is also the same reason why all of the best unsigned prospects are point guards. They are all waiting to see how everything plays out.

To me, since he knows what he will have here already, there is very very little chance he will sign here, unless somehow every other option falls through the cracks.

I would bet a lot that he's not thinking "down the road". Highly recruited kids expect to be one and done or two and done. They aren't thinking, "which school will I be able to start for as a junior?" He's VERY likely to consider the school that provides the best situation in his mind NEXT year. You are assuming that's us, but it's not as black and white as you are making it.

a little note on cory's recruitment, talked to a friend who is out at Boo Williams and he talked to Nick Johnson, a teammate at Findlay Prep and he asked him about Cory and he laughed and said something like,"what day is it, because with Cory you never know, he has a different favorite every other day."

It is often funny to hear fans of all schools try to guess what a recruit is thinking or making guesses as to what might influence him, when in reality we usually have no idea what might be the tipping point for that kid or what they are really thinking in terms of recruitment. I think it would be a huge mistake to try to read too much into any little statement or the old if he was going to he would of already. Every kids recruitment is different.

a little note on cory's recruitment, talked to a friend who is out at Boo Williams and he talked to Nick Johnson, a teammate at Findlay Prep and he asked him about Cory and he laughed and said something like,"what day is it, because with Cory you never know, he has a different favorite every other day."

It is often funny to hear fans of all schools try to guess what a recruit is thinking or making guesses as to what might influence him, when in reality we usually have no idea what might be the tipping point for that kid or what they are really thinking in terms of recruitment. I think it would be a huge mistake to try to read too much into any little statement or the old if he was going to he would of already. Every kids recruitment is different.

Thanks - gives me a better idea what is going on.
Seems like Cory could be persuaded. Do the recruiting rules allow continued contact and are the U coaches still calling Cory? Would assume that Devoe could talk to him as much as he wants. If Mo commits - that wold be another friend talking to Cory.

The young man has CONSISTENTLY said (on tape, quoted) that he likes 5 schools and doesn't have a favorite among them.

Would that anyone believe him.

Thanks - gives me a better idea what is going on.
Seems like Cory could be persuaded. Do the recruiting rules allow continued contact and are the U coaches still calling Cory? Would assume that Devoe could talk to him as much as he wants. If Mo commits - that wold be another friend talking to Cory.

Yes - he can talk to his brother as often as he likes.

The young man has CONSISTENTLY said (on tape, quoted) that he likes 5 schools and doesn't have a favorite among them.

Would that anyone believe him.

Of course he would to the media. I do not find it hard to believe at all that his fellow teammate hears him gush about all off the schools at different times, and he was actually willing to talk about it. Do you really honestly think he has kept his thoughts to himself the entire recruiting process? Someone out there knows more than what he portrays. Hard to believe I know. :eek:

Every recruit says the same thing. They always say they have no favorites, but as we all know, they do.

Top Bottom