Jornell Brooks and Erik Gibson Medically Retire

Minnesota has plenty of very good #4 - #6 receivers. Green is not one of them.
What happened to your soapbox stance of never bad-talking current players?

SG17 is an elite athlete. If the coaches use him more at WR, he will have success. If they use him in the Wildcat again, he will have success.

Seth Green is now one of my favorite members of the team - in a large part due to his off the field work and positive character. One thing I don't know from a positioning standpoint is his speed. He is a good sized guy, but does he have the speed to be a 3-4 receiver? Or is he more of a TE speed wise?

Seth Green is now one of my favorite members of the team - in a large part due to his off the field work and positive character. One thing I don't know from a positioning standpoint is his speed. He is a good sized guy, but does he have the speed to be a 3-4 receiver? Or is he more of a TE speed wise?

Selfless. The kind of player you'd want on your team.

Minnesota has plenty of very good #4 - #6 receivers. Green is not one of them.
We have no idea how good or bad our other guys are besides Bateman, Douglas, CAB and to a lesser extent, Green, and he is the only WR aside from those 3 that have gotten semi-regular snaps at the position the last two years.

All I know is In HS, he could outrun safeties and corners from teams like Desoto and Plano West, some of the better programs in Texas that produce a lot of D1 guys. He's definitely faster than any TE we have on the roster, probably comparable to MarQueis.

The times I've watched Nnamdi in scrimmages and drills, he hasn't looked very impressive. Not convinced he's athletic enough to play WR, would bet he ends up at TE. Brown-Stephens, on the other hand, has looked very sharp every time I've seen him in action. Great hands and leaping ability, not super fast but quick when changing direction. Would also expect to see some of Brock A this fall. Of the incoming frosh, my gut says Emilien is the one to watch for. I believe Jackson has had some knee trouble in the past so they might want to give him a year in strength & conditioning. Pure speculation on my part, though.

The beauty of the Fleck/Simon system is true open competition for the #4-#6 guys. There is a reason for having some many WRs in development. You can't predict what happened to Brooks and Gibson.

Time for walk-ons to win more scholies. Someone will surprise this coming season.

We have to be excited about the prospect of involving TEs as pass catchers. We got a taste of that in the Outback Ball.

Tired opponents can get a totally unexpected game changing TE/FB surprise play that will break their backs. They don't need to catch a lot. Just game changers.

x100. In addition to what you mentioned, I don't know if we have a more selfless player on the team. Dude was going to be a starting QB here before Claeys got fired. He lost that starting spot, he got his named dragged through the mud for something he was not involved in, had to fight suspensions he didn't deserve, and he was asked to switch positions. He never publicly complained, took it all like a man, and worked his butt off to get to the point where he was a major contributor to the team. SG17 is the kind of teammate every coach dreams of.

I just really like all the options we have at wr and te. I’ve never seen this in my time of 20 yrs watching the gophers. Good times for rhe offensive coordinator. Go Gophers!!!!

What happened to your soapbox stance of never bad-talking current players?

SG17 is an elite athlete. If the coaches use him more at WR, he will have success. If they use him in the Wildcat again, he will have success.
I recall him missing some blocks when lined up wide last year. I think if he ironed those issues out he would see the field more.

We have no idea how good or bad our other guys are besides Bateman, Douglas, CAB and to a lesser extent, Green, and he is the only WR aside from those 3 that have gotten semi-regular snaps at the position the last two years.
How many catches?

All I know is In HS, he could outrun safeties and corners from teams like Desoto and Plano West, some of the better programs in Texas that produce a lot of D1 guys. He's definitely faster than any TE we have on the roster, probably comparable to MarQueis.

He might not be faster than Witham. Green’s reported high school 40 is 4.83. Witham’s is 4.7. We can’t be sure whether those numbers are accurate, but if they raced, I’d bet on Witham.

x100. In addition to what you mentioned, I don't know if we have a more selfless player on the team. Dude was going to be a starting QB here before Claeys got fired. He lost that starting spot, he got his named dragged through the mud for something he was not involved in, had to fight suspensions he didn't deserve, and he was asked to switch positions. He never publicly complained, took it all like a man, and worked his butt off to get to the point where he was a major contributor to the team. SG17 is the kind of teammate every coach dreams of.

He was in the kind of situation where most of us assumed he would transfer out.

I am not blaming Fleck at all, I'm sure he had his reasons, but Green also couldn't crack the field in Fleck's first season despite our horrendous QB play. I think Green, even if we're running read option 70% of the time, would have been a more effective QB than Rhoda or Croft. That said, I'm really not ripping on Fleck for not using him, I genuinely believe he had his reasons and he was likely right. Green became a really important part of our team. Teams that live in the shotgun, often struggle on third and short, we don't, and he's a big part of that.

How many catches?

He has had three career catches. So he has at least three times as many as any receiver on our roster competing for spots 4-6. Geary has 1 career catch.

He also has considerably more snaps at WR than anyone else competing for WR spots 4-6.

He has had three career catches. So he has at least three times as many as any receiver on our roster competing for spots 4-6. Geary has 1 career catch.

He also has considerably more snaps at WR than anyone else competing for WR spots 4-6.

For the sake of the team I really hope Green is not our #4 WR next year. And that is not a shot at Green because WR is not really his position anyway. He is a wildcat QB who is listed as a WR on the roster. He has not been a factor in our passing attack the past few seasons as a WR and I would not expect that to change much in his final year. He has a well defined role on this team and it is a very valuable one even if he doesn't take a single snap at WR in 2020.

We have a number of WR that have been in the system now for a few years and who should be ready to see more meaningful playing time. If those guys can't pass Green on the depth chart that would not be a good sign.

For the sake of the team I really hope Green is not our #4 WR next year. And that is not a shot at Green because WR is not really his position anyway. He is a wildcat QB who is listed as a WR on the roster. He has not been a factor in our passing attack the past few seasons as a WR and I would not expect that to change much in his final year. He has a well defined role on this team and it is a very valuable one even if he doesn't take a single snap at WR in 2020.

We have a number of WR that have been in the system now for a few years and who should be ready to see more meaningful playing time. If those guys can't pass Green on the depth chart that would not be a good sign.

I think the objective of having Green on the field was to confuse defenses, so they didn’t know whether he was going to line up at WR or QB. We definitely saw this less often as the season progressed. I like Green, but I also hope someone else is good enough to keep him off the field at WR.

I love Seth Green a lot, but as a WR he does not run good routes, he does not block well, he just does not play the position well. I'm sure he could if he had enough time, etc., but I don't see one off season changing that. If he is WR 4-6 (other than getting him on the field to scare the other team into defending a potential wildcat), then PJ Fleck did not do a good job of recruiting WR the last couple years.

I love Seth Green a lot, but as a WR he does not run good routes, he does not block well, he just does not play the position well. I'm sure he could if he had enough time, etc., but I don't see one off season changing that. If he is WR 4-6 (other than getting him on the field to scare the other team into defending a potential wildcat), then PJ Fleck did not do a good job of recruiting WR the last couple years.

I'm not arguing that he will be the #4/5/6 WR, I was responding to his post. He is the same person that is really confident we have a bunch of better options at 4/5/6 WR. I was just curious about the source of the confidence when he seems unimpressed by someone who has more catches than any of the other candidates.

I think the objective of having Green on the field was to confuse defenses, so they didn’t know whether he was going to line up at WR or QB. We definitely saw this less often as the season progressed. I like Green, but I also hope someone else is good enough to keep him off the field at WR.

Possibly. He was listed in the depth chart and the number of snaps also seemed to indicate that he was truly the 5th/6th WR on the team last year (with Geary). I think he was always out there in our 5 WR sets - - this obviously wouldn't confuse anyone because we weren't going to run a Wildcat with zero TEs or RBs.

I agree with your last statement, but I agree with it on every position or spot on the depth chart. I'd love it if Ky Thomas beat out Mo. You know how good Thomas would have to be as a true FR to take the RB1 spot?

Possibly. He was listed in the depth chart and the number of snaps also seemed to indicate that he was truly the 5th/6th WR on the team last year (with Geary). I think he was always out there in our 5 WR sets - - this obviously wouldn't confuse anyone because we weren't going to run a Wildcat with zero TEs or RBs.

I agree with your last statement, but I agree with it on every position or spot on the depth chart. I'd love it if Ky Thomas beat out Mo. You know how good Thomas would have to be as a true FR to take the RB1 spot?

Fair enough. I like Mo, but I won’t be sad if Ky beats him out for the the top spot either.

Fair enough. I like Mo, but I won’t be sad if Ky beats him out for the the top spot either.

This can be said for any spot where there is a clear cut starter. Take QB for example, if someone beats out Morgan for the starting spot (out plays him, not due to injury) then that player is probably something really special.

Top Bottom