JohnnyGopher - Shelby Moats

Ryan James tweet: "Shelby Moats picks up an offer from Iowa" Said Jeremy Miller who coaches Shelby on the MN Pump N Run.

Some people compare Moats game to Nankival at Wisconsin. This was Jirsa's call and it kind of came out of nowhwere. Minnesota Team Camp this weekend but Waconia is not there. Pump N Run is hosting a big tournament in July so everyone can go watch. Shelby is a quality prospect although those looking for a true pF will be disappointed. And Jesperson and Oglesby are two of the best shooters in the country, Shelby is good but not in that class.

per Monter:

Shelby Moats, a 6-foot-8, 230-pound junior forward from Waconia (MN) High, has received a scholarship offer from Minnesota, according to Minnesota Pump N Run head coach Jeremy Miller. Moats, who is GoldenSports.Net Minnesota’s #2 player in the class of 2011, averaged 21.1 points per game and scored in double figures in all 26 contests as Waconia finished the season 22-4.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/979889.html

Monter reports that Moats has a 4.0 GPA and is visiting Stanford this weekend.

Go Gophers!!

Alot of people we're shocked about it but Minnesota absolutely DID offer Shelby a scholarship and there is no doubt about it if you talk to anybody who has any ties to MN basketball or the AAU scene or Shelby and his family, Tubby even called Shelby to confirm the offer.

Now was it popular among all MN coaches, no, and how hard has MN recruited him since then, not very. Even if we would of put the full court press on him, we still face an uphill battle with him and after his recent play in front of Tubby, I don't think either side is all too thrilled with the other right now and Pump N Run coaches are not big fans of MN recruiting after Noreen and now Shelby, of course the Noreens feel like we should be recruiting Kyle as well. I think Northwestern is the sleeper with Shelby.

Kevin was one thing but if we start recruiting Kyle, I'm picking a new team to cheer for.

I'm picking a new team to cheer for.

Timberwolves or Lynx?

dramaqueen.gif

Kyle Noreen? At least he has at least 1 legit major offer (Washington St.) If you were going to start rooting for another team it should've started with Maverick.

Kyle Noreen? At least he has at least 1 legit major offer (Washington St.) If you were going to start rooting for another team it should've started with Maverick.

Actually Maverick Ahanmisi has decent credentials from his Calif HS and Prep school days. He may or may not pan out as a Gopher but that remains to be seen.

Butler might be the favorite:

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2010/08/duh_of_course_butler_would_tak.html

I spoke first to Moats' summer coach, Jeremy Miller of Minnesota Pump N Run, and then to Moats' father.

The father gushed about Butler, but he didn't go so far as to say his son would commit to the school. The family is attempting to set up a visit to campus soon. The father has told the son it is not a four-year decision, but a 40-year decision, because college influences so much of our lives.

"For us in our family, I don't care if it is a mid-major, low major, high major," Scott Moats said. "I'm looking for fit and feel."

One theme in our conversation was how candid and forthcoming the Butler coaches were. Usually, the father said, you have to check a website to see what a team's roster looks like. Apparently, the coaches told the family that not only are the Bulldogs recruiting Zeller (that would have been easy to find out anyway), but that forwards Erik Fromm and Khyle Marshall are coming into the program.

Scott Moats said assistant coach Matthew Graves had been to Waconia, and that the family has spoken to coach Brad Stevens.

"Talk about quality guys. Oh my word," Moats' father said. "That team of coaches there, those guys are just unbelievable. Again, it's a surreal thing."

he puts up mediocre stats in 1A ball and he has no upside for us

he puts up mediocre stats in 1A ball and he has no upside for us

Fair enough I guess. Personally I don't know his stats. I have seen play 3 times. Had a great game against Columbia Heights. He neutralized Thomas and scored around 30 points. With that saying I'm not saying we should take a look. I was looking for an opinion as to why we should or shouldn't. But as of now it looks like we're ok with taking players that have no upside for us.

Fair enough I guess. Personally I don't know his stats. I have seen play 3 times. Had a great game against Columbia Heights. He neutralized Thomas and scored around 30 points. With that saying I'm not saying we should take a look. I was looking for an opinion as to why we should or shouldn't. But as of now it looks like we're ok with taking players that have no upside for us.

Walker, Hollins, Eliason, and Osenieks have "upside" for the Gophers.

Walker, Hollins, Eliason, and Osenieks have "upside" for the Gophers.

So you admit that Ahamnisi doesn't have any upside?

Have you ever seen Oseniek play? Eliason is at least 2 years away from being servicable in the Big Ten, but you're right he does have some upside. But between these two players there is no reason why the Gophers shouldn't have recruited Kevin Noreen. Say what you want about him, he's better player and I higher rated recruit then either of them.

actually osenieks has plenty of upside, he is 6'9" and has pretty good handles and a three ball. compare him with hummel or maybe better jon leuer, Eliason weighs 245 already and is 7 feet, hell tubby might not even redshirt him the way he is developing, Noreen? ill say he is a good defender, but past that, not really that special. the one time i saw him play he looked uncoordinated and his jumpshot was nothing its made out to be, ive seen D2 more qualified to make the gophs, example damarius cruz of st. cloud state

So you admit that Ahamnisi doesn't have any upside?

Have you ever seen Oseniek play? Eliason is at least 2 years away from being servicable in the Big Ten, but you're right he does have some upside. But between these two players there is no reason why the Gophers shouldn't have recruited Kevin Noreen. Say what you want about him, he's better player and I higher rated recruit then either of them.

I think bringing in both Ahamnisi and Chip at the last minute is a recruiting failure especially when Noreen was available. This recruiting class is taking on the face of a Monson class. Lets hope Oseniek becomes eligible, that would help, if not the future doesn't look so bright.

Have they given up on Coleman, bringing in two shooting guards will make his recruitment that much more difficult.

I think bringing in both Ahamnisi and Chip at the last minute is a recruiting failure especially when Noreen was available. This recruiting class is taking on the face of a Monson class. Lets hope Oseniek becomes eligible, that would help, if not the future doesn't look so bright.

Have they given up on Coleman, bringing in two shooting guards will make his recruitment that much more difficult.

Armelin is 3X All-Stater in Class 5A Louisiana HS basketball. Very solid HS credentials.

Hollins - very solid Top 150 (range) SG with excellent shooting skills.

Walker - one of Top 10 or 15 C in 2010 class per Rivals and ESPN Scouts Inc, Top 125 (range) player.

Eliason - 2X Gatorade HS POY in Neb, Top 150 (range) player.

Noreen rebuffed Gopher inquiries in 2010.

No. Don't forget about 3 guard lineup, and I don't think Coleman would have to worry about getting playing time over Chip. And if he does, I guess that's a good problem to have.

actually osenieks has plenty of upside, he is 6'9" and has pretty good handles and a three ball. compare him with hummel or maybe better jon leuer, Eliason weighs 245 already and is 7 feet, hell tubby might not even redshirt him the way he is developing, Noreen? ill say he is a good defender, but past that, not really that special. the one time i saw him play he looked uncoordinated and his jumpshot was nothing its made out to be, ive seen D2 more qualified to make the gophs, example damarius cruz of st. cloud state

So do you admit that Ahamnisi doesn't have any upside?

Have you seen Osenieks play?

Was Noreen a better prospect then Eliason or Osenieks?

Is Noreen at a better program then Eliason or Osenieks?

So you're saying there are D2 players in MN that are qualified to play for the Gophers?

So you're saying there are D2 players in MN that are qualified to play for the Gophers?

youre just dumb. ill even answer youre q's, yes, yes, not really, he is overrated EE and OO will be better and get more playing time, no WV sucks and so does their coach, no im saying there are D2 players more qualified than Noreen, way more qualified. And i thought we were talking about little Noreen? :) not even worth my time

No.

No.

Don't know.

Debatable.

Don't know.

No.

No.

Don't know.

Debatable.

Don't know.

Maybe I'm brand new, but FOT and Gophers UGH have to be the same person.

Sorry to say at this point WV is a better program. Just made the Final Four, It's an Elite Nike program, has better tradition, and has built a brand new practice facility. The coach isn't too bad either. If KEVIN Noreen signed witht the Gophers you'd be singing his praises. He is on par as far as prospects go to Walker and Hollins. He is higher then the rest.

Maybe I'm brand new, but FOT and Gophers UGH have to be the same person.

Sorry to say at this point WV is a better program. Just made the Final Four, It's an Elite Nike program, has better tradition, and has built a brand new practice facility. The coach isn't too bad either. If KEVIN Noreen signed witht the Gophers you'd be singing his praises. He is on par as far as prospects go to Walker and Hollins. He is higher then the rest.

Good debate points to support YOUR OPINION. But there is no factual way to answer the question, hence I said debatable.

And yes, I've seen Huggs and Tubby coach in person. So I'm qualified to have an opinion on the topic.

Top Bottom