Joel's victory lap

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
At this point, probably not much more I can add to the conversation about last night's game. Loved the running game, though I'm very skeptical how it will stand up in Big Ten competition. We should find out in two weeks.

Appreciated the players coming over to the Gopher section after the game to greet the fans. Keanon Cooper, in particular, was telling each person "Thank you for coming out and supporting us."

The most interesting part of the day, however, was before the game, when Joel Maturi walked through the Gophers tailgating lot. The hero's welcome Joel received made it seem like V-Day. Everyone went up to shake his hand and congratulate him on the way the division alignments ended up, and regardless of how you feel about the guy - I've been critical, too - you had to be happy for him. I'm willing to give credit where credit is due, and in this case, I was happy to shake his hand.

Nice to hear the personal touch is there from the top down (from AD to players). Stuff like that goes a long way with me.

Yeah.. Great post. Thanks for letting us know.. Glad to see the kids glad of the support.

somehow in the midst of all this he was able to return my congratulatory email. Not quite sure where he found the time.

I say he's either got a clone or he works his ass off.

The most interesting part of the day, however, was before the game, when Joel Maturi walked through the Gophers tailgating lot. The hero's welcome Joel received made it seem like V-Day. Everyone went up to shake his hand and congratulate him on the way the division alignments ended up, and regardless of how you feel about the guy - I've been critical, too - you had to be happy for him. I'm willing to give credit where credit is due, and in this case, I was happy to shake his hand.

I agree, Jike. JM said that they wanted at least 9 votes for and the first vote on the alignment as it is was 7-5. After some, as he said, "heartfelt statements"--I assume from Osbourne and Maturi--the revote was immediately 10-2.

I have to believe one of the two was Wisconsin. Could the other have been Illinois?

JM said they took that to the Presidents who gave it their approval. The ADs then revoted again to make it 12-0 for the record. You have to bet Alvarez was against the whole thing.

I agree, Jike. JM said that they wanted at least 9 votes for and the first vote on the alignment as it is was 7-5. After some, as he said, "heartfelt statements"--I assume from Osbourne and Maturi--the revote was immediately 10-2.

I have to believe one of the two was Wisconsin. Could the other have been Illinois?

JM said they took that to the Presidents who gave it their approval. The ADs then revoted again to make it 12-0 for the record. You have to bet Alvarez was against the whole thing.

Where are you hearing the vote numbers from?

somehow in the midst of all this he was able to return my congratulatory email. Not quite sure where he found the time.

I say he's either got a clone or he works his ass off.

Maybe he has a smartphone.

Where are you hearing the vote numbers from?

From JM directly at the pregame tailgate. Jike and I may have been speaking to him at roughly the same time. Had an almost 15 minute conversation. JM is a lot sharper guy than he is given credit for. I really believe he was the architect of the alignment plan. Alvarez may have been the clown prince.

From JM directly at the pregame tailgate. Jike and I may have been speaking to him at roughly the same time. Had an almost 15 minute conversation. JM is a lot sharper guy than he is given credit for. I really believe he was the architect of the alignment plan. Alvarez may have been the clown prince.

Cool! Another great reason to take these kinds of road trips. Its a great chance to talk to the "bigwigs". :)

Not sure I'd call Alvarez the "clown prince" quite yet. He may have lost a couple rivalry games but he's got three patsies on his yearly schedule while the Gophers will need to elevate our performance to get a sniff of first place in our division. I wasn't in favor of beoing placed in Ohio State's division but when you look at that divison as a whole Becky may get the last laugh. And that really sucks.

Top Bottom