Joel Maturi Inspired Chris Farley

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
This is so random, but WOW Joel Maturi just got soooo much cooler. I don't know what to do about him and the great white ninja having a relationship, let alone being the inspiration for one of the funniest skits of all time.

Joel Maturi lives in a VAN down by the river!

And Vice Versa, It Would Appear . . .

This is so random, but WOW Joel Maturi just got soooo much cooler. I don't know what to do about him and the great white ninja having a relationship, let alone being the inspiration for one of the funniest skits of all time.

Joel Maturi lives in a VAN down by the river!

. . . for Maturi turned out to be more of a comedian than a D-1 AD. An unfunny, and bad routine which somehow, despite consistently horrible reviews from the majority of the audience, ran for the better part of 10 years. :cry:

I think I heard this story 6 or 7 years ago. Why is it news again now that Joel isn't even AD?

I look for the stadium atmosphere to improve in all three big-time sports now that Joel Maturi has moved to his van down by the river and isn't going to be able to fight fun anywhere it may present itself at Gopher games.

I don't know where the rumor on this got started, because I believe Bob Odenkirk (Sol on "Breaking Bad" is his most notable role, but also has been a comedy all-star for a couple of decades) wrote the skit based on his high school guidance counselor when Odenkirk was on the writing staff at Saturday Night Live.

Farley was a big-time Badger fan. I remember he was in the broadcast booth for a bit during a national broadcast of a Badger game and he was absolutely hilarious. They let him play with the telestrator and he drew up one of his high school plays.

I don't know where the rumor on this got started, because I believe Bob Odenkirk (Sol on "Breaking Bad" is his most notable role, but also has been a comedy all-star for a couple of decades) wrote the skit based on his high school guidance counselor when Odenkirk was on the writing staff at Saturday Night Live.

Farley was a big-time Badger fan. I remember he was in the broadcast booth for a bit during a national broadcast of a Badger game and he was absolutely hilarious. They let him play with the telestrator and he drew up one of his high school plays.

Difference between writing a sketch and coming up with the character. Actors, especially established ones, are responsible for coming up with the character's mannerisms.

You are correct though, Bob Odenkirk wrote it, and the van down by the river is supposedly an exact quote from an old Maturi speech.

Crazy. I ran into Farley in the sky way between the parking lot and the airport he was talking to himself and acting weird. I thought the guy was on drugs.

Top Bottom