Joe Coleman offer

Well estan Tyler......

wears #3 and plays at Johnson, so either this guy is a groupie or is close to the situation. Maybe too close??

Oh I'm very close to the Johnson program. So you are hearing the TRUTH.

Oh I'm very close to the Johnson program. So you are hearing the TRUTH.

Thanks for the info - and congrats to him on the offer! I haven't gotten a chance to attend one of his games yet (as I'm sure a lot of people on the board haven't). Can you tell us a little more about him? Style of play? Strengths, weaknesses, other schools that have interest in him? Thanks!

Well, I guess I'm a little surprised to hear that given that when Estan comes in we could have Cobbs and Cory Joseph on the roster. That said, congrats to Estan...good for him.

I got to see Estan play for the first time against Hopkins Wed. night. I was pretty impressed. He's not a very big kid but not super small either. I think the program listed him at 6'0". He has a pretty good looking shot, although he missed a few shots vs. Hopkins. He handles the ball really well. I was probably most impressed with his composure. He got a charge on the baseline late but he seemed to always play under control when his team is quite frenetic by nature.

Again, congrats to Estan. I hope he makes a good decision for himself. Not to pry and feel free to not answer me but is Estan in a grades position to qualify? Good luck to him and Johnson. They have a very, very good team this year. I was really impressed vs. Hopkins.

Estan Tyler is a 3.0 student and shouldn't have a problem qualifying. He has offers from Northern Iowa and the U of M with Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State and Nebraska in conversation. He has a great family and I think people in the metro have been sleeping on Johnson Hs.

Estan Tyler is a 3.0 student and shouldn't have a problem qualifying. He has offers from Northern Iowa and the U of M with Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State and Nebraska in conversation. He has a great family and I think people in the metro have been sleeping on Johnson Hs.

Are the Gophers a heavy favorite in Tyler's recruitment? Or will he be willing to consider other programs if they offer?

I know Tyler has been claiming an offer since the summer, but MN coaches say NO offer was ever made. I don't know what was said to him or how misleading it was, but this is getting pretty old and MN needs to clean this up and be much more specific.

I know Tyler has been claiming an offer since the summer, but MN coaches say NO offer was ever made. I don't know what was said to him or how misleading it was, but this is getting pretty old and MN needs to clean this up and be much more specific.

That's been a problem for most schools ever since this Rivals and Scout baloney started.

Example - Shagari Alleyne claimed "offers" from Louisville and UNC in summer of 2002 when neither ACTUALLY offered him.

Many more examples out there.

I agree this is concerning. Is the issue gray/misleading semantics by Coach Smith, or are some assistants making verbal offers that aren't legit?

The Coleman fiasco could have been really damaging considering the potential of souring the relationship with the state's present dynasty and the highest profile HS recruiter/coach. It would be a shame if this resurfaced two years from now when Dearing is a junior and his recruitment is heating up.

I agree this is concerning. Is the issue gray/misleading semantics by Coach Smith, or are some assistants making verbal offers that aren't legit?

The Coleman fiasco could have been really damaging considering the potential of souring the relationship with the state's present dynasty and the highest profile HS recruiter/coach. It would be a shame if this resurfaced two years from now when Dearing is a junior and his recruitment is heating up.

I believe it's neither. The young men and women hear want they want to hear.

What they need to hear is We're/I'm Offering You A Full Scholarship To Attend (Blank).

It could have been, but Tubby did the right thing and made things right by offering Coleman. But I agree, this has to be clear.

What they need to hear is We're/I'm Offering You A Full Scholarship To Attend (Blank).

FOT - how do you know that? I've spoken and met Joe Coleman a number of times, his family has also keep in mind, they've been through the recruiting process before - and it's not like Joe's the kind of kid that's imagining this. Many times, he said he was always being contacted by the Gophs, but no offer. When you tell a kid you want them to be part of your program, etc...you need to be crystal clear if you're not giving them a scholarship offer. I know you like to defend Tubby by all means, but please don't question Joe's character by thinking he just imagined this offer.

FOT - how do you know that? I've spoken and met Joe Coleman a number of times, his family has also keep in mind, they've been through the recruiting process before - and it's not like Joe's the kind of kid that's imagining this. Many times, he said he was always being contacted by the Gophs, but no offer. When you tell a kid you want them to be part of your program, etc...you need to be crystal clear if you're not giving them a scholarship offer. I know you like to defend Tubby by all means, but please don't question Joe's character by thinking he just imagined this offer.

I've known a number of young men and women being recruited over the years. Kids hear what they want to hear but they need to listen for We're Offering You A Scholarship To (Blank) in those words. When they THINK they hear it, they need to ask Are You Offering Me A Scholarship?

Not questioning anyone's character or defending anyone. This happens A LOT in recruiting circles.

I've known a number of young men and women being recruited over the years. Kids hear what they want to hear but they need to listen for We're Offering You A Scholarship To (Blank) in those words. When they THINK they hear it, they need to ask Are You Offering Me A Scholarship?

Not questioning anyone's character or defending anyone. This happens A LOT in recruiting circles.

Note to self, let's pass that advice onto every 16 and 17 year old. I'm sorry, they are kids - some are bright like Joe, some not so much - but it is the grown-up's job to make this clear.

Could never be Tubbys fault because Tubby is GOD. Right FOT??

Well, considering JohnnyGopher is about as well-connected as they come, is someone going to let Tyler know that he actually DOESN'T have a scholarship from the U?

Can't imagine the embarrassment that will continue if he thinks he actually has an offer and the U coaching staff says he does not. Poor kid...

Note to self, let's pass that advice onto every 16 and 17 year old. I'm sorry, they are kids - some are bright like Joe, some not so much - but it is the grown-up's job to make this clear.

I'm just saying that it happens pretty much just like I described it. At many schools and probably at Minnesota, too.

It happened at Kentucky under Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby, and Gillispie.

I'm just saying that it happens pretty much just like I described it. At many schools and probably at Minnesota, too.

It happened at Kentucky under Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby, and Gillispie.

I have friends on the K-St staff now. They see things in print where So-&-So says he has an offer from K-St but they're not even recruiting him.

Same things happened at Cincinnati. Players "committed" to UC but hadn't even been offered yet.

It's not uncommon. The Rivals and Scout offer lists are a big reason why (I think).

It's not uncommon. The Rivals and Scout offer lists are a big reason why (I think).

I would also add blogs just like this that scritinize every recruiting endeavor. Think about it. A school can't sign everyone they recruit and a school won't get everyone they recruit. So there's probably a lot of 'gray' language out there. Something like this:

Unsaid: We *have* offered Corey Joseph and we really, really want him but if he doesn't sign with us, we need someone else, so:

Said: We could really see you in a Gopher uniform. What number do you want? You will fit real well with us. This will be your locker. Here is where you'll eat. Blah, blah, blah.

Maybe this isn't the best example, but my point is that coaches have to play both sides. There are a lot of 'ifs' in recruiting.

GopherLady is right, no *explicit* offer. But lots of language that sounds like it. And excited kids and parents and coaches - well, it might get confusing for a young person.

Its not just kids - anyone besides me ever had a job offer you weren't sure was actually a true job offer?

I have friends on the K-St staff now. They see things in print where So-&-So says he has an offer from K-St but they're not even recruiting him.

I've know and encountered some name droppers through the years, but you're pretty tough to beat.

That was cold. I shake my head when I walk by his picture hung in the lobby of past coaches in the Williams' lobby.

Sorry - it was just to prove Moonlight's point - if it happens to adults, it certainly happens to kids, which is just why being crystal clear is a necessity.

Sorry - it was just to prove Moonlight's point - if it happens to adults, it certainly happens to kids, which is just why being crystal clear is a necessity.

Maybe. But maybe it is smarter on a 2nd choice to be more obtuse. Make it seem like they're being offered, but not overtly, explicitly offered. That way if the 1st choice pans out.... It's hard to make everyone feel like a 1st choice, but that's what they have to do.

I'm sure a few of us have done this with a girl or guy during the dating career........it's tough do sometimes!

Anyway, now that there are 24 hour blog/scout/Facebook/Twitter and everyone 'knows' everything about everyone, it's even harder to do. 'News' spreads like wildfire. As does misinformation........

This reminds me of my college roommate. Every time we asked him to do anything, he would always respond with, "that's cool," and only about half the time he would follow through. He would never respond with an affirmative yes or no. After a while we just stopped asking him to do things because he was so damn flaky. Poor judgment by the Gopher coaching staff. Hopefully they learn a lesson from this situ.

Top Bottom