Jim Polzin: Wisconsin football's failure against rival Minnesota 'a disgrace to the program

Iceland12

Reaction score
Nelson disappeared into blackness, just as No. 18 UW’s hopes and dreams had done minutes earlier when the reality of a 23-13 loss to Minnesota had hit home for a group that entered the day with so much on the line.

UW’s seven-game winning streak went up in smoke and with it a chance to play for a Big Ten Conference championship next week in Indianapolis. That the ride ended at the hands of the Gophers, who had lost 16 of the previous 17 meetings with the Badgers, made it an even more difficult pill to swallow.

“It’s honestly the worst feeling in the world,” UW senior cornerback Caesar Williams said. “It just feels like a disgrace to the program for us to lose the Axe.”..

What makes it even more difficult is this wasn’t a fluke. The Gophers were the better team Saturday, especially in the second half.

Minnesota had lost its chance at a Big Ten West Division title a day earlier when Iowa rallied to win at Nebraska, yet the Gophers still looked like they were the team that wanted this more — needed it more — than the Badgers.

It showed in the trenches, where Minnesota’s defensive line was relentless and consistently in UW tailback Braelon Allen’s face before he even had a chance to make a cut.

It also showed on the biggest play of the game, an interception on the third play from scrimmage in the second half. UW hadn’t played great to that point but led 10-6 at the half thanks to an interception return by Nelson that turned out to be the Badgers’ only touchdown of the game.

Graham Mertz dropped back and sent a ball toward the sidelines on third-and-7. It was a poorly placed throw, one of several on the day from a UW sophomore quarterback who regressed to first-half-of-the-season Graham Mertz after playing so well down the stretch. Still, it was a ball that could have resulted in a reception had a freshman cornerback (Justin Walley) not won a 50/50 battle with a sixth-year senior wide receiver (Kendric Pryor).,

Typical. Very little credit ever extended to our program in Madison or Lincoln. A little better in Iowa City. (re: player and program insider comments)

Polzin trolling Gopher fans.

The fact is, the Badgers vomited all over themselves yet again. How many chances have they had to be relevant in the last 5, 10, 15 years, make the CFP, et al and they just aren't that kind of program. They have been, are, and always will be perennial wannabe's.

I thought that the writing credited the gophers pretty well
I edited my earlier comment... was referencing for the most part their player comments.

If it weren't for that bush holding call on the one yard line in Madison last year, the gophers would have won 3 of the last 4.

The worm has turned.

Agreed. Some people are pretty thin skinned and looking for reasons to be insulted. Thought it was an honest assessment and pretty tough on the Badgers.

I thought that the writing credited the gophers pretty well
;He doesn't utter it (what opposing columnist would), but I sense that he credits Fleck (albeit obliquely) for having the Gophers more prepared for the game.

Chryst is a good coach, but it doesn't make much sense to recruit a five-star QB and then have him hand off and play within a passing scheme that makes Pop Warner football seem advanced. I'm not saying Mertz is as good as he was billed coming out of high school and he has plenty of time to improve, but it's an odd match. Wisconsin' offense makes Kill's old offense look like the run-and-shoot by comparison.

nothing like some good old fashioned irrational doomsaying from the East

this is the kind that lasts 9 months :)

;He doesn't utter it (what opposing columnist would), but I sense that he credits Fleck (albeit obliquely) for having the Gophers more prepared for the game.

Chryst is a good coach, but it doesn't make much sense to recruit a five-star QB and then have him hand off and play within a passing scheme that makes Pop Warner football seem advanced. I'm not saying Mertz is as good as he was billed coming out of high school and he has plenty of time to improve, but it's an odd match. Wisconsin' offense makes Kill's old offense look like the run-and-shoot by comparison.
Mertz being a 5 star recruit is an example of the failure of recruiting services. He is a 5 star physical player, he can’t read a defense and never had to in high school

considering it was the 12th game of the season, I was really astounded by the level of disconnect between Mertz and his receivers. There is something just off about their passing game.

some of those throws late in the 4th quarter were truly awful.

I also liked how, after the game, Allen said he has been battling some type of leg injury.

considering it was the 12th game of the season, I was really astounded by the level of disconnect between Mertz and his receivers. There is something just off about their passing game.

some of those throws late in the 4th quarter were truly awful.

I also liked how, after the game, Allen said he has been battling some type of leg injury.
The success of their passing game is almost entirely contingent on the success of their running game. They still set up the pass with the run and it's pretty much been that way for them for a long time outside of the year with Russell Wilson. One of the things that disappointed me about the Gophers this year is that they seemed to regress to the same pattern. I am not a fan of "basketball on grass" as Joe Tiller used to call it, but there isn't a law against passing on first down.

Polzin trolling Gopher fans.

The fact is, the Badgers vomited all over themselves yet again. How many chances have they had to be relevant in the last 5, 10, 15 years, make the CFP, et al and they just aren't that kind of program. They have been, are, and always will be perennial wannabe's.

Honestly doubt that. He writes for a paper that can't have more than a handful of Gopher fans. He said the Gophers were the better team yesterday and that they deserved to win.

Read it mostly as a heartfelt look at players reaction to the loss, a shot a at Chryst and reproaching Badger fans for their overconfidence. Here's how he ended it

UW was bad in the first month of the season, resilient and back to its roots over the next seven weeks and rotten in the regular-season finale. Instead of preparing to play Michigan with a chance to end the program’s Big Ten title drought, Chryst should spend the next week or two thinking long and hard about making significant changes on his coaching staff and with an offense that has gone stale.

The Badgers will play in a bowl game, and they’ve earned that reward. But an 8-4 overall record and a 6-3 mark in Big Ten play wasn’t good enough for a team with this much experience. That business they talked about three months ago still is unfinished because UW went bankrupt against the team it hates the most.

Classic (from the OP article comments).

Well good for your hate. The skunks have owned Minnesota for the last 20 years. You lose to a rival and you are that upset? Should we quit playing? So you don't understand there will always be a winner and a loser. Why the trolling anyway. Sconnie fans are like Cub fans. They don't watch the game. They are just a drunken mess that likes to get hammered. I am surprised they know the Gophers won.

Wonder how long till Mertz transfers to Purdue- use the gifts the Good Lord gave you son😀

Wonder how long till Mertz transfers to Purdue- use the gifts the Good Lord gave you son😀
I’m probably one that believes Mertz is decent but is in the wrong offense for him at WI. Their receivers aren’t anything special and certainly didn’t do him any favors.

Jim Polzin, get used to it. The bullying days of the Badgers may be over. The rest of the Big Ten West is not going to put up the white flag.

I’m probably one that believes Mertz is decent but is in the wrong offense for him at WI. Their receivers aren’t anything special and certainly didn’t do him any favors.
I agree with you - hence my transfer comment to Purdue where he could wing it frequently

Mertz being a 5 star recruit is an example of the failure of recruiting services. He is a 5 star physical player, he can’t read a defense and never had to in high school
He's great at making logos though.

Top Bottom