Jim Nantz to call his final NCAA Tournament with Ian Eagle as successor

Not too many 63 year olds retire to spend more time with their 6 and 8 year old kids. If that is true, I wonder if giving up the NFL is far behind. I can see him doing the Masters for another decade (or more) if interested.

Not too many 63 year olds retire to spend more time with their 6 and 8 year old kids. If that is true, I wonder if giving up the NFL is far behind. I can see him doing the Masters for another decade (or more) if interested.
Certainly the NFL takes away from home more than the NCAA tournament, though I assume this means he won't do any NCAA games at all. He and Billy Packer in his prime were good. It hasn't been the same with the rotating #2's since.

Certainly the NFL takes away from home more than the NCAA tournament, though I assume this means he won't do any NCAA games at all. He and Billy Packer in his prime were good. It hasn't been the same with the rotating #2's since.

The NFL takes more time in terms of weeks, but allows him to be home 5 days before each Sunday. On the Dan Patrick show last year he mentioned he moved from Pebble Beach to the Nashville area, to be more geographically located for traveling to NFL sites. Cut down on several dozens (hundreds?) of hours on travel annually.

For several years he's done zero (or 1) NCAA regular season games. When his NFL season was done he would call some PGA Tour until the Big 10 Tourney. The prep time through the NCAA Championship and Masters, meant he probably has hardly any days off in a 5 week stretch, March through mid-April.

Now he can spend Spring Break at home or on vacation with the kids.

Ian Eagle is a very worthy successor. Top notch. I hope they give him someone better to work with than Grant Hill.

Last edited:

Jim Nantz is one of those guys that I neither like nor dislike...a good announcer's voice to take an afternoon nap to while having some obscure AFC game or golf tournament playing in the background.

Ian Eagle / Jim Spanarkel have been the best CBS hoops announcing tandem for several years running, IMO. Nothing flashy, but obviously enjoy what they do. Professionals.
100%.

Spero Dedes is right there as a play by play guy, too.

Ian Eagle / Jim Spanarkel have been the best CBS hoops announcing tandem for several years running, IMO. Nothing flashy, but obviously enjoy what they do. Professionals.
I’ll take Spanarkel as a color commentator any day. The guy really does some homework too.

He was a guest on the Dan Patrick Show again this Tuesday. Originally, he wanted to end it on the NCAA in 2021, but did not want to go out in the bubble version of the event. Since the 2023 Final 4 is on CBS and in Houston, felt like it made a lot of sense to make this the swan song instead.

Indicated he would like to fulfill the NFL contract with Tony Romo for about 10 years.

As for the Masters his goal is to do 51 which will coincide with what is scheduled to be the 100th playing of the event. He's at 37, so that's 14 more years of "Hello, friends..."

Another interesting item he shared was that he delivered the recent eulogy for Tom Weiskopf.

He was a guest on the Dan Patrick Show again this Tuesday. Originally, he wanted to end it on the NCAA in 2021, but did not want to go out in the bubble version of the event. Since the 2023 Final 4 is on CBS and in Houston, felt like it made a lot of sense to make this the swan song instead.

Indicated he would like to fulfill the NFL contract with Tony Romo for about 10 years.

As for the Masters his goal is to do 51 which will coincide with what is scheduled to be the 100th playing of the event. He's at 37, so that's 14 more years of "Hello, friends..."

Another interesting item he shared was that he delivered the recent eulogy for Tom Weiskopf.
Wow. Good for him. Think of the Joe DIrt "Keep on keepin' on". I hope to have that energy and drive when I get to that age.

Let's hope that Duluth, MN native Verne Lundquist can continue to make the call on the Master's par 3 16th for just as long. (Verne fully retired about 5 years ago except for the Master's and PGA championship - always enjoyed his calls in all sports)

Let's hope that Duluth, MN native Verne Lundquist can continue to make the call on the Master's par 3 16th for just as long. (Verne fully retired about 5 years ago except for the Master's and PGA championship - always enjoyed his calls in all sports)
He was particularly good calling Happy Gilmore's upset of shooter McGavin.

Agreed, hope he is up on the tower for several more years. He and Raftery were a great pair for NCAA Hoops. Also thought was elite with Gary Danielson for football.

Top Bottom