Jerry Kill press confrence notes...honest as ever.

"I suppose if this was a great job, I wouldn't be here. They'd have someone else hired"

Enough said. This is one of the worst college football teams in the country and I think we all need to realize that. Someday it will get turned around and I hope Kill is the man to do it!

After last coach I can't believe that people care at all what a coach says. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field. The talking is worthless.

Ding, ding, ding.... We have a winner!!!

For the life of me I don't understand why some people have to scrutinize and analyze to DEATH the little little morsels or nuggest that are said in the media. The analyzing of what Maturi said during the coaching search was absolutely ridiculous. Good grief, let it go. Searching for the meaning, the hidden meaning, what he's REALLY saying.... isn't it exhausting after a while?

I just see words, I don't see honesty. Rosemountain had it right when he said that Minnesotan natives loves to be told their terrible and that they are very uncomforatable with ever hearing good things. I see the message that seems to be gaining steam now is that the current players are not tough enough and you can't teach toughness. Obviously, nobody outside the program can measure an intangible like toughness, so you either believe him or on that, or you don't. I feel like Jerry Kill is the type of guy who will always say "we're not very good" in order to manage expectations and/or keep his team from feeling full ot itself. That's not a bad thing, it's just not honest. If we're 3 years in to this and he's saying the team should win 8-9 games, then that would put what he said today would have more weight.

Quick, someone pull up his press conferences from his later years at SIU and NIU and do an analysis on whether he manages expectations or not lol

Partially disagree. Most of the problems ARE the fault of the previous coach. The last year and a half of his tenure he was basically "dead man walking". Last year he was gone after their first lost. How do you demand discipline when all your players know that you're gone?

The difference today is Kill said that there are good reasons for what the players are doing. He didn't just throw them under the bus.

Ummm Then that would be Maturi's fault. Especially with the pre Purdue game leak. Look what Brewster inherited when Mason was dismissed. A major sexual assault case with a few key players. Prior to Mason's dismissal, there weren't these types of problems. The lack of a plan of succession and a void in leadership created these environments.

It may not be Maturi's fault directly, but especially with Brewster, he should have had a plan in place for a new coach and a very, very good idea of both who he wanted and who would be interested. The time lapse almost totally erased any advantage the program had in the search process.

Part of the problem when reading the notes is you don't get the question he was responding too. So it may have been a leading question that he is talking around to get to the point. I don't think its double talk. I also don't see where he is throwing the team under the bus. Kids are still not going to class, taking responsibility for being in bed on time, making meetings and practice on time...our guys aren't talented enough to just show and win....we have to prepare and execute better, we have to stay eligible, get smarter and learn, yes learn, how to fight back against adversity and learn how to win games, battles and in life.

I keep saying it will take 3 years to get our program back to average and then we can start to talk about whether Jerry Kill can get us past where Mason took us. Hopefully Maturi is gone in June 2012 and we can get a AD that likes winning and will invest in it because he see's value in winning teams in sports that produce positive revenue.

Didn't go to a class all year?

Don't care who you are or how well you play. Gone.

You can stay enrolled and pay your own way, if you want, but your scholarship is cut and you're off the team. Not a 2nd chance, not a discussion - just get out.

How about instead of telling us that you can't do the same things at NIU you do some different things.

You have a poor o line and inexperienced qb's. Maybe it's time to get the qb's out of the pocket and give them easier reads/throws while not making an inexperienced line have to pick up blitzes. Maybe instead of talking about how you cant run the same things defensively...you actually run some different things.
I don't get it. He's honest, okay, you can have him. I'm not gonna ever be impressed when a coach says "we can't do this, we can't do that."
Figure out something you can do, and do it well. Even if we have the talent of an Ndsu, I can guarantee you that Ndsu wouldn't lose by 58 nor get shut out while playing against 2s for a half.

Ummm Then that would be Maturi's fault. Especially with the pre Purdue game leak. Look what Brewster inherited when Mason was dismissed. A major sexual assault case with a few key players. Prior to Mason's dismissal, there weren't these types of problems. The lack of a plan of succession and a void in leadership created these environments.

It may not be Maturi's fault directly, but especially with Brewster, he should have had a plan in place for a new coach and a very, very good idea of both who he wanted and who would be interested. The time lapse almost totally erased any advantage the program had in the search process.

So they engaged in a sexual assault because their coach was fired? Well it's a %(^T^&R point but at least it's not "directly" Maturi's fault.

This is really beyond belief.

For the thousandth time, I really like Kill. He reminds me of someone I used to know, also a winner.

The coaching job at Minnesota is a bitch, pure and simple. It's going to take a huge amount of skill, hard work and LUCK to succeed here. If Kill fails, and he may, he's still a winner.

Good luck coach Kill! Hang in there! Beat Purdue!

Required viewing

This presser should be required viewing for every Gopher football fan.

"I suppose if this was a great job, I wouldn't be here. They'd have someone else hired"

I watched the whole thing. This was the most memorable line.

I love Kill. It's a purely personal thing with me. He's just my kind of guy.

Pulling for him big-time.

RoseMountain,

I agree somewhat, but we are in really tough shape on both lines, which severely limits what we can do/try. Only so much you can do with 235 lb DE's vs. experienced 300+ lb. tackles. With Gray out and Shortell getting killed every down while in max protect, have to believe that the lack of moving the pocket was for his protection. Right now our OL can't block anybody, much less "move the pocket". Until our OL and DL can refrain from getting destroyed, I'm afraid not a lot can be done.

I'm not saying move the pocket. I'm saying get out of the pocket. There is a difference. Turnback protection is easier for the line anyways.

Everyone should watch the press conference! It is obvious that he is just being totally honest. He told us when he got here it was going to be a long process. None of us wanted to believe him, I didn't believe him. He talked about how they don't have the depth to practice the way he wants. He talked about how they had 7 or 8 freshman playing on offense at one time in Michigan. He said he didn't have anyone else to play. You can say he was blaming the players, but he was just explaining the problems and not backing down from the responsibility to fix it.

Everyone should watch the press conference! It is obvious that he is just being totally honest. He told us when he got here it was going to be a long process. None of us wanted to believe him, I didn't believe him. He talked about how they don't have the depth to practice the way he wants. He talked about how they had 7 or 8 freshman playing on offense at one time in Michigan. He said he didn't have anyone else to play. You can say he was blaming the players, but he was just explaining the problems and not backing down from the responsibility to fix it.

If you read the notes or watch the replay he went out of his way NOT to blame the players. That apparently pissed some people off around here but there it is.

I'm not saying move the pocket. I'm saying get out of the pocket. There is a difference. Turnback protection is easier for the line anyways.

They ran a lot of sprint out last game. Problem is, it limits you to half the field, and the defense knows that.

They aren't stupid. They've tried so many things as far as I can tell from re-watching some of the games. Bottom line is that there is only so much you can do with the lack of experience and talent on the field. Turnback protection comes with its own limitations as well.

Talking about which schemes could make us marginally more competitive is pointless. Simplify the stuff that is within the schemes you already run so that when the requisite talent/experience is available, they are familiar with it.

Look what Brewster inherited when Mason was dismissed. A major sexual assault case with a few key players. Prior to Mason's dismissal, there weren't these types of problems. QUOTE]

Mackenzy Toussaint or Steve Watson ring a bell?

PS Mason recruited Daniels, Jones, and Massey.

He also recruited convicted armed robber McField.

It is hip to hammer Brewster but as far as I know he improved the graduation rate and had no major criminal issues with his players.

When your qb's can't read the field anyways it makes no difference limiting to half the field. If you are talking about pre-snap, you can still go both ways pre snap.

They didn't get gray to the edge more than 2-3 times against Ndsu.

They have been pathetic schematically IMO. Maybe you disagree.
They ran a lot of sprint out last game. Problem is, it limits you to half the field, and the defense knows that.

They aren't stupid. They've tried so many things as far as I can tell from re-watching some of the games. Bottom line is that there is only so much you can do with the lack of experience and talent on the field. Turnback protection comes with its own limitations as well.

Talking about which schemes could make us marginally more competitive is pointless. Simplify the stuff that is within the schemes you already run so that when the requisite talent/experience is available, they are familiar with it.

When your qb's can't read the field anyways it makes no difference limiting to half the field. If you are talking about pre-snap, you can still go both ways pre snap.

They didn't get gray to the edge more than 2-3 times against Ndsu.

They have been pathetic schematically IMO. Maybe you disagree.

So Rose...and please understand I'm taking a leap of faith here from reading your posts over the years that you coach for Rosemount, right?

So start explaining your 0 - 17 debacle against Lakeville South.

After last coach I can't believe that people care at all what a coach says. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field. The talking is worthless.

Thank you. If Brew had turned us into a winner, all people would be talking about is how his relentless positive energy and belief carried over to his players and on to the field. For example, Les Miles is a bumbling, lying, grass-eating idiot, but LSU fans for the most part look the other way because he wins.

So Rose...and please understand I'm taking a leap of faith here from reading your posts over the years that you coach for Rosemount, right?

So start explaining your 0 - 17 debacle against Lakeville South.

Holding Lakeville South to 17 is an accomplishment. Leidner, Bizzzzzoske, and Heller are legit.

PS Mason recruited Daniels, Jones, and Massey.

He also recruited convicted armed robber McField.

It is hip to hammer Brewster but as far as I know he improved the graduation rate and had no major criminal issues with his players.

Seriously? Remember Hacksaw? http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5118853

There were a lot of issues, that we don't need to bring up (as many are still with the team, some not, like Sam Maresh) but to make that statement is just false.

Top Bottom