Jerry Kill: NDSU Bison FBS Program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

In Kill’s first season as Minnesota coach in 2011, NDSU defeated the Gophers 37-24 in Minneapolis. The coach saw talent he envied and knew those players could compete in the Big Ten. “There were about five of them, six of them—when we played them—I ’d have taken in a heartbeat,” Kill said in a telephone interview. “Shoot, the year we played them I might have taken the whole damn team.”

The Gophers haven’t played the Bison since 2011 but did take on another Valley power in their opening game on August 29 in Minneapolis. No. 4 ranked South Dakota State gave Minnesota fits before losing 28-21 in the fourth quarter.

Kill was asked how the Bison might perform playing in the Big Ten.

“Jumping from that league and jumping all the way to the Big Ten is a huge jump,” Kill said. “(But) North Dakota State is a Division I (FBS) program.”

College football authorities raise the question of whether an FCS power like NDSU has enough quality depth to survive the physical pounding of a nine-game schedule in a conference like the Big Ten. “I don’t know,” Kill said. “I am not ever going to say North Dakota State can’t do anything because they beat K-State. They beat Minnesota when I was there. Shoot, they beat just about everybody they played.”

That’s for sure. Power Five Conference teams think twice about playing NDSU after the Bison have defeated Iowa, Kansas State and Minnesota (also in 2007) on their home fields. No wonder Bison fans have circled dates on future calendars when their team plays at Oregon next year and visits Arizona in 2022.

The Bison’s phenomenal success (not even duplicated by Alabama or Clemson on the FBS level) is built on shrewd recruiting and player development. NDSU benefits (as do North Dakota, SDSU and South Dakota) from there being no FBS programs in the Dakotas, and one FBS program in Minnesota. The Bison roster this season lists 36 Minnesotans including new star quarterback, Trey Lance.

“I think it started with (coach) Craig Bohl,” Kill said about the success in recruiting Minnesota. “Craig Bohl was real good at taking those in between kids that may not be quite ready to be in a Power Five (program). They did a great job of developing players.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Jerry angling for a NDSU Coaching job?

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and uses football as his vehicle. jer' sees a program like ndsu doing this same work, and he understands that if they were to be elevated to fbs, that the vehicle of football would be increased as more student athletes would have an opportunity to get on scholarship. while they may not win as many games, ol' jer' prioritizes impacting student athletes as much as he does wins.

I'm really interested in his next article where he asks Glen Mason if he thinks Ohio could make the jump to the Big Ten since Mason's team lost to them in 2000.

Jerry Kill is employed. He isn't looking for a job. Shama knows that if you have Jerry's phone number, any time is a good time to talk college football. Sportswriters are good at knowing who those guys are, and if you have a press credential and a little name recognition it's surprisingly easy to get personal phone numbers for famous people.

per Shama:

In Kill’s first season as Minnesota coach in 2011, NDSU defeated the Gophers 37-24 in Minneapolis. The coach saw talent he envied and knew those players could compete in the Big Ten. “There were about five of them, six of them—when we played them—I ’d have taken in a heartbeat,” Kill said in a telephone interview. “Shoot, the year we played them I might have taken the whole damn team.”

The Gophers haven’t played the Bison since 2011 but did take on another Valley power in their opening game on August 29 in Minneapolis. No. 4 ranked South Dakota State gave Minnesota fits before losing 28-21 in the fourth quarter.

Kill was asked how the Bison might perform playing in the Big Ten.

“Jumping from that league and jumping all the way to the Big Ten is a huge jump,” Kill said. “(But) North Dakota State is a Division I (FBS) program.”

College football authorities raise the question of whether an FCS power like NDSU has enough quality depth to survive the physical pounding of a nine-game schedule in a conference like the Big Ten. “I don’t know,” Kill said. “I am not ever going to say North Dakota State can’t do anything because they beat K-State. They beat Minnesota when I was there. Shoot, they beat just about everybody they played.”

That’s for sure. Power Five Conference teams think twice about playing NDSU after the Bison have defeated Iowa, Kansas State and Minnesota (also in 2007) on their home fields. No wonder Bison fans have circled dates on future calendars when their team plays at Oregon next year and visits Arizona in 2022.

The Bison’s phenomenal success (not even duplicated by Alabama or Clemson on the FBS level) is built on shrewd recruiting and player development. NDSU benefits (as do North Dakota, SDSU and South Dakota) from there being no FBS programs in the Dakotas, and one FBS program in Minnesota. The Bison roster this season lists 36 Minnesotans including new star quarterback, Trey Lance.

“I think it started with (coach) Craig Bohl,” Kill said about the success in recruiting Minnesota. “Craig Bohl was real good at taking those in between kids that may not be quite ready to be in a Power Five (program). They did a great job of developing players.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!
Shams needs to do a story on how NDSU’s football operating budget and coaches salaries compare to
The other FCS programs

While you are checking salaries, also check entrance requirements. You will be surprised.

Examples?

UND is the better school. I always thought they should be the power. They are a real university. North Dakota has a medical school and a law school. NDSU is basically a community college.

UND is the better school. I always thought they should be the power. They are a real university. North Dakota has a medical school and a law school. NDSU is basically a community college.

You mean that cc team that continuely beats up on your sorry arse program? Lol.

A former colleague from that area once told me there's a saying over there: If you want to run a farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go UND.

JTG

A former colleague from that area once told me there's a saying over there: If you want to run a farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go UND.

JTG

Funny saying - but wrong as over 95% of farms in ND are owner run. Probably same for MN. As far as the universities go, the law school graduates can't pass the BAR and well the medical school you tell me as a lot of them are in the Twin Cities.

Funny saying - but wrong as over 95% of farms in ND are owner run. Probably same for MN. As far as the universities go, the law school graduates can't pass the BAR and well the medical school you tell me as a lot of them are in the Twin Cities.

You are right. I think the saying is if you want to work on a farm go to NDSU.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the University of Chicago so what do I know.

UND also the coldest place I have ever been and I grew up in East Central MN. NDSU is probably tropical in comparison.

Hmm. This link:

https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/4/asc/Bar

tells me that 72.3% of UND law graduates pass the bar, a rate higher than at least 52 law schools in the U.S. That rate doesn't compare to an Ivy League law school or even the U of M, but UND has never pretended to be of that caliber. How does that pass rate compare to NDSU law students?

Could that be because of ND's law against Corporate Farms?

per Shama:
“There were about five of them, six of them—when we played them—I ’d have taken in a heartbeat,” Kill said in a telephone interview. “Shoot, the year we played them I might have taken the whole damn team.”

Ol' Jer, you could have had every single one of them if you wanted. There's not a kid on that NDSU team that would have walked away from a football scholarship at U of M and gone to NDSU instead. They simply got developed and played as a team better than you could do with more tallented players.

Top Bottom