Jerry Kill Comments on Sports Huddle

DL65

Reaction score
1) It's been a good week . . . we had a lot of juniors in for Junior Day activities and he met with Bobby Bell, including breakfast this morning . . . "He's (Bell) a great ambassador for the University."
He told Mona that current NCAA rules restrict the use of former players in recruiting; however, past players can help by getting names to his staff about high school players they think can play at the U level.

2) We're still recruiting. Spring ball will tell us a lot more and we'll hold a couple tenders back for some late signees possibly Jucos. Would like to recruit a Decker or a Spaeth, talking about late recruits for the Gophers.

3) Recruiting is a continuous process . . . seven days a week. "I want to to be talking to people." As far as walkons are concerned, he'd like to sign 5-6 more walkons; so he continues to work on this year's class (see above note #2).

4) Appreciated Hammock's work for the 60 or 61 days he was on his staff. At a staff meeting he appointed Brian Anderson runningback coach. Anderson has been with his staff for 12 years. He told Anderson, "I looked him in the eye and said, loyalty is important." He's a team player.

5) Kim Royston: his recovery has been a slow process. We'll keep it light for Royston during spring ball.

6) Brandon Green is healthy and running everyday. We're extremely light at wide receiver but long at tightend. As a result, "We'll have to change up from what we did at NIU. That's called coaching." Said Marcus Jones is doing a good job.

7) Sprng ball will be experimental.

Go Gophers!!

I will defer to this thread. Much better report!

4) Appreciated Hammock's work for the 60 or 61 days he was on his staff. At a staff meeting he appointed Brian Anderson runningback coach. Anderson has been with his staff for 12 years. He told Anderson, "I looked him in the eye and said, loyalty is important." He's a team player.

Go Gophers!!

Hmmmmmmmm..........

He was being kind, Hammock broke a promise, and they both know it. Kill also said he wishes Hammock well going forward and looks forward to competing with him. You can read that any way you want.

He was being kind, Hammock broke a promise, and they both know it. Kill also said he wishes Hammock well going forward and looks forward to competing with him. You can read that any way you want.

What was the promise? sorry if I missed it.

What was the promise? sorry if I missed it.

My guess is Kill expected Hammock to not leave mid-contract. As in, "I kept you on. You have a one-year contract like pretty much everyone else. I expect you to honor the contract."

Kill is clearly old school, which I think is good. A contract is a contract in his eyes.

My guess is Kill expected Hammock to not leave mid-contract. As in, "I kept you on. You have a one-year contract like pretty much everyone else. I expect you to honor the contract."

Kill is clearly old school, which I think is good. A contract is a contract in his eyes.

Although there are advantages for retaining certain assistant(s), I doubt Coach Kill finds that a necessity. Rather expecting that Hammock would jump in with both feet and be a team player ala the rest of Coach Kill's staff. Deserting ship after 60 days after providing Hammock with a job, my gut tells me that does not sit well with Kill and rightly so.

For those who say Hammock would be a fool to turn down the Becky gig, I say that's too bad and he should have considered that when Kill offered him.

Loyalty is important to Coach Kill as history shows us.

I don't fault hammock for leaving if it was in his best interest. I dont fault kill for being upset

I also don't fault Hammock for leaving. Whatever his reasons (easier path for advancement, more money, better for his family, etc), he has that right. I am as big of supporter there is for Coach Kill, but loyalty only has one meaning. What I mean is you can't have one loyalty for your staff and another type to a university. It is my understanding each time Coach Kill left for a better job, a contract was broken, which means he was not loyal to his university. Please understand this is not a shot at Coach Kill, but more justification for why I believe Hammock had the right to leave. Also, there is never a good time to leave, but now might be the best. The recruiting process is young. He could've been on potential recruits (juniors) for several months building relationships and than jump ship.

Hammock going to Wisconsin and Kill leaving for a new job (no matter which time it was) are not even close to the same thing.

Hammock going to Wisconsin and Kill leaving for a new job (no matter which time it was) are not even close to the same thing.

AMEN!

An example of not being committed to a commitment is everyone's "friends" Bob Huggins (1 year at K-State BB) and Lane Kiffin (nuff said there).

Nobody would complain if Hammock had gone to Wisconsin to get a promotion, like OC. What has people upset is he made a lateral move after he signed on with Kill for a year.

I do agree that if he was leaving, this was the best time to do it. And Kill didn't seem too pleased about the move as indicated by his comments on the Sports Huddle.

Thomas should have said no to coach Kill's offer in December.

Thomas should have said no to coach Kill's offer in December.

My guess is that's the only reason Kill is upset (if he is indeed upset). Hammock signed on and I reckon Kill thought that Hammock was sticking around through the contract.

If he chose to jump ship, to me that means he can't handle the expectations Coach Kill has for his staff, so let him move on. Sayonara.

If he chose to jump ship, to me that means he can't handle the expectations Coach Kill has for his staff, so let him move on. Sayonara.

He left for a better football program where he will soon be an offensive coordinator in the Big Ten. He wasn't going to be an offensive coordinator at Minnesota.

Really? I don't want to get into a pissing match but if you are going to make that statement, please explain why.

Northern Illinois was left without a coach for their bowl game. All I am saying is don't throw around loyalty without looking in the mirror. What's your argument - that Coach Kill took a step up and Coach Hammock's was a lateral move. Sorry, Wisconsin is a step up. Since Mason took over, how many MN assistants have become FBS Head Coaches?

He left for a better football program where he will soon be an offensive coordinator in the Big Ten. He wasn't going to be an offensive coordinator at Minnesota.

No, we wasn't.. That doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a good move to stick with Minny and help turn the program around.. get a lot of good press and get an OC or better job with an even BIGGER program than Wisky. It's not like if he stuck with us he could ONLY get an OC position here..

Really? I don't want to get into a pissing match but if you are going to make that statement, please explain why.

Northern Illinois was left without a coach for their bowl game. All I am saying is don't throw around loyalty without looking in the mirror. What's your argument - that Coach Kill took a step up and Coach Hammock's was a lateral move. Sorry, Wisconsin is a step up. Since Mason took over, how many MN assistants have become FBS Head Coaches?

NIU and Minnesota aren't border, hated rivals. Kill didn't recommit to NIU 40 days or so right before leaving for MN. Trying to draw similar scenarios between Kill and Judas is absurd.

When Kill interview Brewsters current staff, he explained that he wants some one here for the long haul, someone committed to the program. Since I wasnt in the interview, I have got to believe that Hammock said he was committed to the U. it turns out, Hammock lied to Kill's face in the interview and then left town 2 months later. Hammock knew that Kill's OC had been with him forever before he interview, so I dont buy that excuse. Hammock basiclly lied to Kill to keep his job and wait for something else to open up. I have never been one for keeping members of the old staff. The gopher staff will be much better off without Hammock than with him.

When Kill interview Brewsters current staff, he explained that he wants some one here for the long haul, someone committed to the program. Since I wasnt in the interview, I have got to believe that Hammock said he was committed to the U. it turns out, Hammock lied to Kill's face in the interview and then left town 2 months later. Hammock knew that Kill's OC had been with him forever before he interview, so I dont buy that excuse. Hammock basiclly lied to Kill to keep his job and wait for something else to open up. I have never been one for keeping members of the old staff. The gopher staff will be much better off without Hammock than with him.

If I read your post correctly, you say you weren't in the interview. Then the rest of your post is about what was said in the interview. We have no idea what was said in the interview.

Assistants leaving for other jobs is and will always be a part of college FB. It sucks that Hammock went to Wisconsin. Trust me, I am not happy. I just don't blame him. I am just getting sick of people throwing around the word loyalty, like you need Coach Kill's permission to make a move. Obviously, Hammock thought it was a good move or he wouldn't have made it. That should be all that matters.

If I read your post correctly, you say you weren't in the interview. Then the rest of your post is about what was said in the interview. We have no idea what was said in the interview.

Assistants leaving for other jobs is and will always be a part of college FB. It sucks that Hammock went to Wisconsin. Trust me, I am not happy. I just don't blame him. I am just getting sick of people throwing around the word loyalty, like you need Coach Kill's permission to make a move. Obviously, Hammock thought it was a good move or he wouldn't have made it. That should be all that matters.

The only problem I have with Hammock is when he left. He had just committed to this school for a year and signed a contract. If he would have left when the season was over, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

+1

The only problem I have with Hammock is when he left. He had just committed to this school for a year and signed a contract. If he would have left when the season was over, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

+1

Hammock was looking out for number one and I can't fault him for it but it still is pathetic that he did it only days after signing the contract. Obviously, he should have been let go the same time as Horton.

Hammock leaving was a low class move any way you look at it. There are sometimes truly wrong ways to go a bout things and that was a wrong way for him to advance his career. Hammock was lucky to be asked to stay on by a new staff and chose to leave despite the fact that its already a tough time of transition for the coach that hired him. On top of that, he went to the #1 rival of that coach and the player's he's recruited and will actively recruit and coach against them. And he didn't get a promotion either. There's nothing stand up about that move at all. I get that this business is tough for coaches and that many have to look out for their own interests but in doing so he screwed his former team in every way he possibly could have. Honestly I fully expect it to come back around on him and I'll find it fitting if he doesn't get that WI OC job.

He re-upped, he was lucky Kill let him go.
He did commit to stay and said he wanted to be part of the program.
He bailed to get a chance to be Wisconsin's OC "sometime when Chryst leaves", Chryst seems pretty comfortable to me. If Chryst leaves, and BB actually thinks that is a good move at the time, he'll get it, but he has no promise he should believe anymore than Kill should have believed his.
Not a felony, but not the standup guy I thought he was either.

Again, all the replies on here are assuming that Kill didn't simply ask Hammock to stick around until after National Signing Day before leaving for another program. My guess is that Kill simply wanted Hammock to stay until the players were signed then do whatever he wanted. I think the writing was on the wall when Hammock's name wasn't shown as being the primary recruiter on any player for next year or this year (at least from what I've seen).

To me it's a little silly to think that mid-level assistant coaches should have the hatred for a rival that the fans have. For them it's a job. He didn't go to school here, he didn't grow up here, why would he not consider them? Especially since by that logic he should have never come here because he was a graduate assistant with WI. And wasn't he also given asst. OC duties at WI? He had lost that title here, so if so it would be a promotion...

Again, all the replies on here are assuming that Kill didn't simply ask Hammock to stick around until after National Signing Day before leaving for another program. My guess is that Kill simply wanted Hammock to stay until the players were signed then do whatever he wanted. I think the writing was on the wall when Hammock's name wasn't shown as being the primary recruiter on any player for next year or this year (at least from what I've seen).

To me it's a little silly to think that mid-level assistant coaches should have the hatred for a rival that the fans have. For them it's a job. He didn't go to school here, he didn't grow up here, why would he not consider them? Especially since by that logic he should have never come here because he was a graduate assistant with WI. And wasn't he also given asst. OC duties at WI? He had lost that title here, so if so it would be a promotion...

+1. Wis. is a better spot for him to move up the ranks faster, IMO. He might be the OC in 2012 if Chryst moves on.

I am under the impression he did not get a promotion.

Top Bottom