Jerry Kill after Northwestern game on KFAN - Won't say what QB they'll go with...

Looking at the staff, the defense coaches have obvioulsy grown into every level they've moved to. I haven't
seen anything yet that says Limegrover can match wits with the types of defensive coordinators you see in the B1G.

Sorry, I guess I don't understand. I thought you were saying Leidner has been terrible all year, and that Kill just finally realized it when he should have realized it long ago.

I can play that game. So are you saying he's played great in every game this year and his whole career, and this is the first game that he hasn't played very well to warrant me and everyone else to think that Kill should have replaced him long ago?

I'm not even going to defend my statement because some of you obviously like to ignore the point of a post and find anything to retort.

Wasn't your point that Liedner was bad and Kill won't admit it? My point was that he pulled him from the game and burned a RS from a kid he really wanted to RS. If that isn't recognizing/admitting that ML7 has played poorly, what is? Are you just mad he didn't throw Mitch under the bus in his post-game presser and didn't lay all the blame at his feet?

I can play that game. So are you saying he's played great in every game this year and his whole career, and this is the first game that he hasn't played very well to warrant me and everyone else to think that Kill should have replaced him long ago?

Nope, just saying that he has shown he can be a good QB (both last year and this year) and that may be the reason why Kill didn't replace him long ago. Your statement made it seem like Leidner has played terrible all year. If that were true, then I'd have agreed that he should have been pulled already. But Leidner played pretty well just last week in my opinion.

Wasn't your point that Liedner was bad and Kill won't admit it? My point was that he pulled him from the game and burned a RS from a kid he really wanted to RS. If that isn't recognizing/admitting that ML7 has played poorly, what is? Are you just mad he didn't throw Mitch under the bus in his post-game presser and didn't lay all the blame at his feet?

Well that's to be determined. You don't know if Kill took out ML7 just to give Croft some experience since the game was out of hand, or he had enough of ML7. There is nothing anyone can say to change my opinion that ML7 should not be the starter. That is my opinion. About the throwing under the bus, obviously Kill didn't hesitate to blame it on the O-Line. One week, he even added the running backs to it, calling it the run game. Mitch and the Coaches seem to be off limits, or he just has tunnel vision and can't see their faults.

Nope, just saying that he has shown he can be a good QB (both last year and this year) and that may be the reason why Kill didn't replace him long ago. Your statement made it seem like Leidner has played terrible all year. If that were true, then I'd have agreed that he should have been pulled already. But Leidner played pretty well just last week in my opinion.

I never said he played terrible all year. I said last few games. I don't think he played great last week, but I admit he didn't play terrible either. My point is that he has done enough to warrant a switch at QB through out his career, but Kill just doesn't think we have anyone better. It doesn't take a genius to see he hasn't progressed much if at all from last year. So in my opinion, it's not all just based on what he has done this year, it's through out his career.

Reactionary fans are hardwired to hurl blame onto quarterbacks, deserved or not. The coach should not pile even more criticism onto a kid QB, especially not through the media. Sort him out in private. The OL can take criticism--they're not in the pressure cooker. No fan is going to heckle Joe Bjorklund's family and whatnot.

Why did it take so long for coaches to give someone other than Liedner a chance to get some snaps? It was obvious a long time ago the ML was NOT a Big Ten QB.

He got paid to go to the game. I had to drive and pay for that crap. Who is more dejected?

He got paid to go to the game. I had to drive and pay for that crap. Who is more dejected?

Yeah. That puts it into perspective. A lame result like that is more than anything a huge drag for the fans that put forth the time, money and effort to attend it. I have been in those shoes myself, and those shoes suck.

RE: Kill, I have no doubt but that this is terribly hard on him, particularly because it's something entirely new, to have a team floundering like this this deeply into his coaching tenure. Every stop before this, his teams have been well-established by years 3-4, and by well-established I mean pretty much kicking arse and taking names (for example at Southern Illinois, his team outscored its opponents by 30+ points per game in his 4th season there), but this has been rough, and to be so inept offensively, wow...

But any coach worth his salt takes those times of hardship and struggle and utilizes them as a learning experience in whatever capacity, a time to reflect and possibly reevaluate. It's certainly a humbling experience and maybe a needed dose of humility at that. As Bill Parcells said back when he was coaching at the Air Force Academy, nothing had ever taught him so much as failure did.

Leidner was always better when they ran play action and got him moving out of the pocket, without a run game this year it really limits what he can do, he's really looked bad thus far. I'm not sure they have a B1G quality running back this year, the line can't have gotten that bad all of a sudden, they didn't lose that much from last year's OL.

Top Bottom