Jennings: Gary Patterson Has No Plans to Make a Change, but TCU Should; Jennings blames Kill for conservative offense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jennings:

Only this time, rather than at least giving Meacham and Cumbie the freedom they had from 2014–2016 to run a full-fledged Air Raid, Patterson saddled them with a manager: his longtime friend Jerry Kill. Kill joined the staff as “special assistant to the head coach in charge of offense” in 2020. He brought a conservative, ball-control style that guaranteed TCU’s offensive coordinators would be kept in check, not taking any undue risks.

The result has been an offense that seems at war with itself.

Later in the article...

Not playing to win. Instead, managing a season. It’s a far cry from Patterson’s old mantra of trying to “go take ball games” on the road. Rather than playing like an underdog with nothing to lose, now he wants to play like a favorite, even when he hasn’t earned it.

Patterson has made it clear that he has no plans to change on his own. So TCU needs to either force him to change, or make the change for him.

Go Gophers!!

Kinda nice to see someone recognize the absurdity of hiring Kill for an offensive role when dudes teams at MN... offense was not the strength.

Kill as coach of... program building, absolutely, not offense.

Hmmm. Well, I'll admit I haven't read the article, but according to the link below TCU currently stands with a record of 3-3.

And, in their 6 games to date, they've scored (in order, by game) 45, 34, 34, 27, 52 and 31 points. That's 223 points in 6 games — for an average score of over 37 points.

Meanwhile, TCU has given up 3, 32, 42, 32, 31 and 52 points. That's 192 points in 6 games, for an average of 32 points given up per game.

As I said, I haven't read the article but looking at those numbers it certainly doesn't seem like the offense is the problem.

With the great talent Kills and Claeys produced to give us the 2019 team one wonders how come they aren't developing winners everywhere else they go. Unless..............

Hmmm. Well, I'll admit I haven't read the article, but according to the link below TCU currently stands with a record of 3-3.

And, in their 6 games to date, they've scored (in order, by game) 45, 34, 34, 27, 52 and 31 points. That's 223 points in 6 games — for an average score of over 37 points.

Meanwhile, TCU has given up 3, 32, 42, 32, 31 and 52 points. That's 192 points in 6 games, for an average of 32 points given up per game.

As I said, I haven't read the article but looking at those numbers it certainly doesn't seem like the offense is the problem.

Yep...ranked 17th in scoring offense, 20th in total offense.

ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. i have no idea who this jennings character thinks he’s talking about but jer’ runs it up the middle and strokes the post to teach life lessons. sometimes that strategy results in the boys scoring a lot of points and sometimes that strategy results in the student athletes at texas christian to punt a lot but it’s all intended to reinforce life lessons. so jennings (if that is his real last name) needs to learn that you build character brick by brick.

ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. i have no idea who this jennings character thinks he’s talking about but jer’ runs it up the middle and strokes the post to teach life lessons. sometimes that strategy results in the boys scoring a lot of points and sometimes that strategy results in the student athletes at texas christian to punt a lot but it’s all intended to reinforce life lessons. so jennings (if that is his real last name) needs to learn that you build character brick by brick.
I was just about to ask for this, my favorite bit.

Top Bottom