Jeff Jagodzinski

Duluthguy

Reaction score
There's a report out, or at least a rumor, that Maturi is looking into Jeff Jagodzinski, the former Boston College coach. Maybe this rumor has some legs because he played at UW Whitewater, coached with the Packers, etc. so he does have some regional ties. Doesn't necesaarily stand out as a real strong candidate, but is he viable? What's everyone think?

I don't like it, simply because he obviously wants to be an NFL coach and will bolt at first chance.

I don't think he makes sense at all.

He did well at BC, but he never really had to play with his own players. He only coached there for two seasons. Now, my biggest issue with him is that he seems to have a real issue with the people he works with/for. The whole debacle at Boston College smells of either "there is something more to it" or a flat out lie. Either of those situations are problematic. However, his issues are more a cycle than a one time occurence. The guy got fired as the offensive coordinator of the Bucs at the end of the preseason (extremely rare). There seems to really be something going on with this guy...

I'm a little leery of coaches like Jagodzinski and Leach who have success in their current job (Leach more than Jagodzinski) but are fired at the first chance presented to the Administration.

He does have a winning coaching record....

he would be the 2nd in 40 years (Holtz was the other one)....but no one has a clue if he can run a program....recruit, keep a clean program. Leach and Belotti do have that track record.

GM

He sounds like a jack-bag to me because of the stupid mistake he made with the Jets coaching fiasco .... but I'd still consider him pretty highly, due to his experience.

I don't know how this guys name gets brought up. He got fired 10 days before the start of the regular season in his first year as Tampa Bay's O.C. The guy got EXPOSED. He's not someone I want anywhre near the program.

I don't know the full story, but between BC and TB there seem to be huge red flags here. No thanks. And an excellent point is raised above, he won at BC largely with O'Brien's players. As he is proving at NC State, he can coach. Who knows with Jagz.

I don't know how this guys name gets brought up. He got fired 10 days before the start of the regular season in his first year as Tampa Bay's O.C. The guy got EXPOSED. He's not someone I want anywhre near the program.

Thank you!!!!

He was offered to stay on as QB's coach at TB but the HC thought he was unprepared for OC so he was either getting fired or demoted. Wow, just what I want to hear about a candidate.

Now that we know that you read minds, can you do seances, too.

The Boston College AD threatened him by saying if he interviewed with the Jets he would be fired. Jagodzinski went through with the interview and the AD followed through with firing him. Do you need any more indication than that to think he wants to be in the NFL?

Its hard to take any Jags rumors seriously knowing Maturi's aversion to rebellious coaches.

A risky hire on many different levels. Next.

The Boston College AD threatened him by saying if he interviewed with the Jets he would be fired. Jagodzinski went through with the interview and the AD followed through with firing him. Do you need any more indication than that to think he wants to be in the NFL?

I think he wants to improve his total compensation. That doesn't mean he is or is not an NFL guy. I think people believe because there was an application to the NFL that somehow that is the persons ultimate goal. It is merely a desire for change. A negative emphasis on the NFL would indicate that you would give that association twice as much weight as opposed to other favorable indicators, according to research. So, if you were the hiring manager, I would caution you that you could bypass many well qualified candidates due to that bias. As far as the Boston College AD, I think he wants to treat his employees like chatel. Adults should treat each other as if we have responsibilities to ourselves and our families. Yes, change is disruptive. But, it is always a moment where we can reflect on how we can be better. The Boston College AD might still have coach Jagodzinski fielding winning teams if he played his cards better. Obviously the AD was a control freak and Jags wanted something better for himself. Can't fault a guy for doing what he did.

I don't think we need to go off the deep end every time a coach's name is mentioned. Personally, I would be pissed if Maturi didn't look into every name out there. How do you know if you don't look? It is called due diligence.

He's not my first or even 5th choice.

And YES, his red flags should scare us away ... unless the hiring process starts to break down.

I'm just saying that based on his experience level he should be considered before candidates such as Trestman, Bohl, the Domino's pizza dancer by TCF...

I honestly don't know where I stand on Jagodzinski as a candidate, but I will say that I thought the BC AD came off as a complete a$$ by not letting him talk to an NFL team. It's pretty much common courtesy to grant permission to talk to coaches. And if your coach wants to move to what he considers a better job, the thing to do is negotiate to try to keep him, not prevent him from talking to the other team. It only creates animosity that way. The way that part played out, I feel, says more about BC than about Jagodzinski.

That said, I know nothing about the Tampa situation. Honestly the first I heard of it was in this thread. Shows how much attention I pay to the NFL.

I think he wants to improve his total compensation. That doesn't mean he is or is not an NFL guy. I think people believe because there was an application to the NFL that somehow that is the persons ultimate goal. It is merely a desire for change. A negative emphasis on the NFL would indicate that you would give that association twice as much weight as opposed to other favorable indicators, according to research. So, if you were the hiring manager, I would caution you that you could bypass many well qualified candidates due to that bias. As far as the Boston College AD, I think he wants to treat his employees like chatel. Adults should treat each other as if we have responsibilities to ourselves and our families. Yes, change is disruptive. But, it is always a moment where we can reflect on how we can be better. The Boston College AD might still have coach Jagodzinski fielding winning teams if he played his cards better. Obviously the AD was a control freak and Jags wanted something better for himself. Can't fault a guy for doing what he did.

I take nothing from it other than he didn't want to be the head coach at Boston College that he was willing to risk it to interview elsewhere when threatened with being fired.

Why do we think it would be different here?

That isn't even the reason I don't want him here. I think he is a bad coach that was lucky enough to have a fully developed Matt Ryan there to make him look good. The fact he got fired at Tampa before coaching in a game because he was so unprepared speaks more to me than anything else on his resume.

We can attract and afford better.

He had a good record in Green Bay, where he was OC one year under Mike McCarthy. He also was the O-line coach in Atlanta and helped with their zone-blocking scheme.

That said, I agree with Lloyd that he's well down the list, but should be ahead of guys like Bohl and Trestman.

He's not my first or even 5th choice.

And YES, his red flags should scare us away ... unless the hiring process starts to break down.

I'm just saying that based on his experience level he should be considered before candidates such as Trestman, Bohl, the Domino's pizza dancer by TCF...

I won't disagree with the premise he is more qualified than other non-candidates that aren't qualified. That is like comparing a kick in the butt to a kick in the nut. No thanks on both accounts.

From Shooter today:

Hot Gophers football coaching prospect being mentioned: Jeff Jagodzinski, who was fired by Boston College last year for interviewing for the New York Jets' head coaching job after being told by BC not to interview. Jagodzinski is coach of the United Football League's Omaha Nighthawks.

The top three early prospects for the Gophers' vacancy could be Kevin Sumlin from Houston, Marc Trestman from the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes and Jagodzinski.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16451668

Go Gophers!!

From Shooter today:

Hot Gophers football coaching prospect being mentioned: Jeff Jagodzinski, who was fired by Boston College last year for interviewing for the New York Jets' head coaching job after being told by BC not to interview. Jagodzinski is coach of the United Football League's Omaha Nighthawks.

The top three early prospects for the Gophers' vacancy could be Kevin Sumlin from Houston, Marc Trestman from the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes and Jagodzinski.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16451668

Go Gophers!!

Further proof that Shooter has no idea what he is talking about?

The fact he got fired at Tampa before coaching in a game because he was so unprepared speaks more to me than anything else on his resume.

I agree that doesn't look good, but I don't think anyone is going to confuse Raheem Morris with Vince Lombardi when it comes to ranking premier football minds.

I agree that doesn't look good, but I don't think anyone is going to confuse Raheem Morris with Vince Lombardi when it comes to ranking premier football minds.

Jagodzinski is now coaching in Arena Football. Insult Raheem Morris all you want but in doing so ask yourself why didn't anyone else in college or NFL hire him.

We're in a position where we can afford much better. Jagodzinski is a risk we don't have to and shouldn't take.

Don't get me wrong, hence the "I agree it doesn't look good" that led off my post. I highly doubt Jagodzinski will even get an interview here for the reasons you outline. If Jagodzinski had any heat left as a coaching commodity, he wouldn't be coaching minor league football (UFL, not AFL).

I guess what I'm saying in regards to Raheem Morris is that if you're a newly-minted head coach, you better be careful when you select your assistants so you avoid this kind of chuckleheaded move. Same could be said for Brewster with his initial assistant coaching picks. There's a time to be deliberative and Morris (and Brewster) came up short in that department.

Jagodzinski is now coaching in Arena Football. Insult Raheem Morris all you want but in doing so ask yourself why didn't anyone else in college or NFL hire him.

We're in a position where we can afford much better. Jagodzinski is a risk we don't have to and shouldn't take.

Jagodzinski is actually coaching an outdoor minor league (UFL) team, the Omaha Nighthawks (featuring superstar convict Maurice Clarett).

If Jagodzinski came here, would we then become Hubert Humphrey's "Cold Omaha"?

Top Bottom