Janel McCarville- Banner Raising

Good point, I guess. Pretty clear that Shades or I could do a better job. Perhaps what I’m appreciative of, is “some coverage is slightly better than none.”

Isn’t that coming from the perspective that women’s sports don’t deserve the same quality coverage as men’s?

Isn’t that coming from the perspective that women’s sports don’t deserve the same quality coverage as men’s?
No, I guess I was being facetious. But ya got me on a technicality, @Shades - and thank you for pointing out the error in my phraseology.

I have been in the fight for equal-opportunity and equal-quality reporting for women’s sports for so long that apparently I’m nearly ready to just accept minor progress, when I should demand more. I stand corrected.

We want better coverage for the Lady Gophers, and we want it now.

Well, you could always go to the top of the news food chain at the Star Tribune, editor Rene Sanchez at [email protected] with comments, criticisms and/or resumes!

For whatever it is worth, I spoke to Reusse pre-game and he said his assignment for the day was the men's game. He mentioned he would try to squeeze some Janel info into that column. Well, he wrote a whole nice column that ends up being on line only (like lots of Strib stuff these days). The unexpected men's victory did probably blow his one on us out of the print edition.

Sadly, the six pages of Vikings stuff the day after a Sunday game leaves little space for all the other sports of the day.

And, while it is mainly semantics.....they are Gopher women's team and not Lady Gophers.

We all want better coverage all the way around for Gopher women's sports.

Well, you could always go to the top of the news food chain at the Star Tribune, editor Rene Sanchez at [email protected] with comments, criticisms and/or resumes!

For whatever it is worth, I spoke to Reusse pre-game and he said his assignment for the day was the men's game. He mentioned he would try to squeeze some Janel info into that column. Well, he wrote a whole nice column that ends up being on line only (like lots of Strib stuff these days). The unexpected men's victory did probably blow his one on us out of the print edition.

Sadly, the six pages of Vikings stuff the day after a Sunday game leaves little space for all the other sports of the day.

And, while it is mainly semantics.....they are Gopher women's team and not Lady Gophers.

We all want better coverage all the way around for Gopher women's sports.
Good points. For what it’s worth, Rene Sanchez (if you’re listening), I don’t need six pages on the Sunday Vikings win. Five pages would be redundant enough for me. Leaving one page for Gopher basketball. And I don’t mind if you want to split that page 60/20/20 between Men’s/Women’s/Honoring Janel since after all, it was a very big game for the Men but a non-conference game for the Women. But putting a very good Reusse article on Janel on-line only is an editorial screw-up.

By the way, similar comments pertain to the Minnesota Daily. I can do without the 6-8 pages on the next U Football game (3 pages are more than enough), but I’d like you to expand your brief coverage of Gopher Women’s athletics.

(This post was moved to a new thread called Taiye May Reach Janel-ish FG% and a Post Shot is as Good as a Three-Point Shot. Please reply to it there.)

With the very nice celebration and honoring of great Gopher(/Lynx) Post Janel McCarville yesterday ...

Last edited:

Yet the numbers thus far suggest that all Kehinde and Klarke need is more playing time, and they could be nearly as good as Taiye. Heck, if they could just keep up the FG% statistics they've earned thus far over the few minutes they've played this season, then the numbers suggest that they have the potential to be nearly Janel-good in FG%.

This conclusion/discussion probably needs its own thread instead of horning in on the Janel thread.

This conclusion/discussion probably needs its own thread instead of horning in on the Janel thread.
I picked the Janel thread since Taiye’s numbers to-date this year are surprisingly close to Janel’s numbers, and (contrary to my initial gut feeling) Kehinde’s and Klarke’s percentage numbers (although arguably insufficient data) are surprisingly close to Taiye’s.

But you’re right. Is there a way to move an existing post to a new thread? Like maybe copying and pasting it, then deleting the old post? I can figure out how to do the former but don’t see a button for the latter.

Edit: Done. New thread is Taiye May Reach Janel-ish FG% and a Post Shot is as Good as a Three-Point Shot.

Last edited:

Top Bottom