Jamison Transferred To OSU So That He Could Experience March Madness Oh! Oh!

He would either play in the spot taken by Garcia or perhaps by Christie. I would rather have those two starting at their positions than Battle. Battle would have been amazing off the bench but that wouldn’t sit well with him.

He would either play in the spot taken by Garcia or perhaps by Christie. I would rather have those two starting at their positions than Battle. Battle would have been amazing off the bench but that wouldn’t sit well with him.
Yeah, with this team Battle would have been a really nice 6th man coming off the bench but he wasn't likely to take a role like that. I really like the starting 5 of Payne, Garcia, Christie, Mitchell and Hawkins. Size, shooting, ball handling and guys that can/will play D.

Last time I checked Ohio State trails the Gophers by 1 1/2 games in the Big Ten. Granted their Net ratings are marginally better than the Gophs, but not good enough to be a bubble team. Grass is not always greener on the other side. Wouldn’t it be sweet if Mr. Battle was starting along side Dawson and JOJ.
IF you started Battle, Dawson, and JOJ (who by the way isn’t even starting now), who would sit? Payne? Seriously?

IF you started Battle, Dawson, and JOJ (who by the way isn’t even starting now), who would sit? Payne? Seriously?
I mean you could probably do something like Hawkins, Christie, Garcia, Battle, and Payne with Mitchell, JOJ, Fox, Carrington coming off the bench. Battle's offense this year would be nice but he was never a very good defensive player and this team has been playing really strong defense most of the year.

So we’re saying Ben cooled on him because he didn’t fit? 😂

I mean you could probably do something like Hawkins, Christie, Garcia, Battle, and Payne with Mitchell, JOJ, Fox, Carrington coming off the bench. Battle's offense this year would be nice but he was never a very good defensive player and this team has been playing really strong defense most of the year.
That's been the difference maker. If you have one guy that doesn't play good defense, then the whole thing can fall apart as others scramble to make up for him. Where this team has really improved in the last few weeks is Garcia is looking a lot better defensively so that most of the time we have 5 out there that are making the defense work.

Back when we played San Francisco and Missouri, those teams were cutting us up driving on us and I think we are better now. It will be very interesting to see if we can hang with Iowa better now as they did a number on us with their offense.

$250,000 is why he left.
It's crazy to think about. $250,000 is a weird amount - it doesn't seem like life changing money, but at the same, time $250,000 is a lot of money. I couldn't imagine graduating college with $0 debt and $250k. Depending on where you live you could have a nice down payment or nearly pay for an entire house and that alone is life changing.

It's crazy to think about. $250,000 is a weird amount - it doesn't seem like life changing money, but at the same, time $250,000 is a lot of money. I couldn't imagine graduating college with $0 debt and $250k. Depending on where you live you could have a nice down payment or nearly pay for an entire house and that alone is life changing.

Last edited:

After income taxes you wouldn't have $250K. You'd still have a nice number, but it would it wouldn't pay for nearly an entire house.

I wish Jamison had stayed. He's a Minnesota kid and he can shoot. But, we have Hawkins and Mitchell and the ball moves better with the components we have. I wish Jamison all the best.
That being said, he couldn't have picked a worse place to attend than ohio.

Battle as a 6th man scorer is the only way I see him helping this team. I don’t think his ego would allow that. Addition by subtraction. Nothing against him.

True -but lets say it is 125k... that is a heck of a down payment on a first house.
At $250,000 for a single person, probably have an effective federal tax rate of about 18% and Ohio rate of 3.75%, so he'd actually keep about $198,000. Your point about what he could do with that kind of money is of course well taken. I was just reminding GHers that there are income taxes on NIL money--which might surprise some of these kids who sign contracts with representation.

Imagine the ATM player who signed away 15% of his before-tax NFL earnings (25-30% of his after-tax earnings) for life for a lump-sum payment of about $450,000, which, because of progressive federal tax rates, he probably paid at least 25% in federal taxes!

I would say that's an understatement. I watched OSU a couple of times, and particularly Battle, this season when opponents went on big runs against them. In those stretches he played like the word "defense" wasn't in his vocabulary.

That being said, he couldn't have picked a worse place to attend than ohio.

Well, he could have picked the school Henley picked. De Paul currently is ranked #312 on NET. To put that in perspective, we finished last season ranked #220 on NET.

Let's just talk about something else, like how we missed the 52nd anniversary of the Gophers-Buckeyes fight. :LOL:

Let's just talk about something else, like how we missed the 52nd anniversary of the Gophers-Buckeyes fight. :LOL:

Regarding that fight, at the company I work at one of our executives (who is now retired) was Mark Wagar who was on the buckeyes team I didn't have whole lot of interaction with him but briefly talked to him about the game when I met him once. I think he was hit by Winfield.

At $250,000 for a single person, probably have an effective federal tax rate of about 18% and Ohio rate of 3.75%, so he'd actually keep about $198,000. Your point about what he could do with that kind of money is of course well taken. I was just reminding GHers that there are income taxes on NIL money--which might surprise some of these kids who sign contracts with representation.

Imagine the ATM player who signed away 15% of his before-tax NFL earnings (25-30% of his after-tax earnings) for life for a lump-sum payment of about $450,000, which, because of progressive federal tax rates, he probably paid at least 25% in federal taxes!
If he's reporting $250k for 2023, he probably has closer to an average of a 28% federal tax rate. Then he has state tax for Ohio, and he could even have some kind of agent fees he paid if someone helped negotiate the deal for him. Still a lot of money, can't blame him for taking it and running. Doesn't mean we have to show him any respect now that he's left, that's sports baby!

If he's reporting $250k for 2023, he probably has closer to an average of a 28% federal tax rate. Then he has state tax for Ohio, and he could even have some kind of agent fees he paid if someone helped negotiate the deal for him. Still a lot of money, can't blame him for taking it and running. Doesn't mean we have to show him any respect now that he's left, that's sports baby!
He had to get some $$$ to pay for a new e-bike after his was stolen on the UMN campus.

Despite Battle’s limitations that have been pointed out, he still can drill a 22’ shot with consistency from a front court position. That would help this team. And I don’t wish him ill personally, as that’s bad karma. But I hope OSU to loses against the Gophers and everyone else.

Top Bottom