Jalen Myrick

Reaction score
Jalen Myrick ‏@jAutooo

To Minnesota I go. #Gophers

Not ranked by rivals and holds only a few offers. However, the kid is also an outstanding track guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_xmW5jUvo

Fastest guy on the field by far, defenders have the angle on him several times but he's got the speed to boot!

Might be an under the radar coup for Kill and Co.

Just forgot Rucker (never to hold the pig) and what's his name (losing the axe soon). Welcome Jalen! He is a football player, do not care about his "stars."

Just forgot Rucker (never to hold the pig) and what's his name (losing the axe soon). Welcome Jalen! He is a football player, do not care about his "stars."

Nothing official yet, but he is making his decision via twitter on the 31st and per rivals we are the only ones listed as "high," interest of his.

SKI-U-MAH

He looks really raw, but looks like a freak athlete. Good size, awesome speed, and versatile - totally a Kill and Co type of player.

Loved the little dance at the 7:08 mark.

It is sometime difficult to evaluate DBs on film because, much like WRs, you can't always see what they do before the ball arrives. For that reason, I can't say whether or not I think he will be a good player.

That being said, he does a few things well that could translate to the next level:

1. He runs fast. I don't really care what his stated 40 time is. What I look for is whether he is able to outrun his competition. Keep in mind that he is not outrunning farmboys in southwest Minnesota. He is outrunning some serious speed in Savannah, GA. Speed in the secondary allows for more aggressive playcalling in the box. Recruit speed!

2. He makes good breaks on the ball. This means he knows how to read receivers and is in good position.

3. He finds the ball well in the air. It is one thing to stay with a receiver. It is another to make a play on the ball once you get there.

Again, I have no idea whether or not he will be great because I have only seen the highlight film. These are the positive things that stood out to me, however, when I watched the film. If he is willing to tackle and put on some muscle, he has some tools to use.

Recruit speed! Good pickup in that regard.

Let's not pick on farm boys from southwest Mn.

He'd be a nice addition.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wY_xmW5jUvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How is this kid only a two star, with limited offers? Tape is impressive and he's from a good football state - why not more attention from programs?

How is this kid only a two star, with limited offers? Tape is impressive and he's from a good football state - why not more attention from programs?

Small school. Ran a 10.69 100m and a 22.15 200m as a junior, though.

goofinSF

There is a little bit of what comes first, i.e. the chicken or the egg, when it comes to star rankings. The following link will talk about the impact of this in ranking players:

http://theladysportswriter.com/2012...ng-offers-come-first-rankings-come-later.html

The reality is that Kill won’t be able to recruit helmet school players until the program begins to win more on the field. Therefore his recruiting classes for the present are going to need to include several under the radar players. There is a relatively small but vocal group of people here that are saying that he is just recruiting MAC players and therefore we will never be able to compete. I personally believe that we will be able to compete because he knows how to identify very good under the radar players who have high upside potential. These players tend to be the faster and more athletic than most and have the type of bodies that have a lot of potential upside over their college career. They are also players that are being recruited because they fit his system which will maximize their strengths. I suspect Jalen Myrick may met the above description.

Kill is also looking for players that want to be here, compete and has the mental toughness to do so. Will he be successful in doing this here? We won’t know the answer to that question for sure for a few years. What we do know though is that he was successful enough at Northern Illinois enough to be competitive against Big Ten teams and even beat a few of them.

Lastly, speaking of under the radar recruits it appears that the 2014 Minnesota football recruiting class is going to be a strong one. They won’t necessarily be under the radar but they probably still will be underrated. The timing of this appears to be favorable since we will have more scholarships available next year. Hopefully, and Coach Kill will be in a better position to take advantage this as he did with the 2012 Minnesota high school football recruiting class. If he can, it should begin to put us in a position where we will be able to recruit more of the higher rated players in the future.

Judging by some of his pictures, my guess is that his listed height of 5'10" is probably generous.

That said, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Size is overrated for cornerbacks and the staff has already shown a propensity for taking shorter guys with speed (Marcus Jones, K.J. Maye)

Anyone have an update on this? I don't see anything from the 31st on his twitter page.

The_MNSportsGuy ‏@The_MNSportsGuy

@RyanBurnsGI Any idea when Jalen Myrick will be announcing his decision?
Expand

Delete
Favorite

15h RyanBurnsGI RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI

@The_MNSportsGuy wants to take an official to Minnesota before making any decisions

Top Bottom