Jacob Thomas at Boo williams

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Howard Pulley lost there first game last night at Boo Williams to Houston Hoops. I was told it was basically Harrison Barnes and little else. Some people thought Harrison tried to do too much and had a bunch of turnovers. Jacob Thomas hit a three and had a strong drive to open the game to raise a few eyebrows but not much after that. Calcaterra and Singleton we're non factors.

Today I got a message that Jacob Thomas has hit 7 threes and has 25 points at halftime. I think they are playing the Mac Irvin Fire but not sure on that.

I saw Jacob a couple of times this year and I hope he has a good stretch of games. I'm rooting for him. He seems like a good kid.

Here are the write-ups from the Howard Pulley website:

"Our 17U Black team opened the 2009 Howard Pulley summer season by participating in Boo Williams Nike Invitational in Hampton, Virginia.

We took one of our younger and more inexperienced teams to Hampton this weekend with the exception of nationally renowned Harrison Barnes from Ames Iowa. Playing well and getting some experience for our young guys is our primary objective in Hampton this weekend.

Minnesota basketball fans will be able to see all the teams in our Pool (Houston Hoops, Mac Irvin Fire, Wisconsin Playgound and of course our Panthers) at the upcoming Sabes Family Foundation Invitational at Bloomington Jefferson high school on the weekend of May 8-10.

Saturday, Apr 11

Game 3 - The Panthers downed the Wisconsin Playground Warriors in their 6:30 p.m. game (statistics to follow) and as the third-place team in their pool, have advanced to the Bronze Division Playoffs tonight at 10:15.

Game 2 - After a difficult start last night, the Panthers played much better in their 12:30 start this afternoon but were downed by the Mac Irvin Fire 88-84. In this one we were again led in scoring by Harrison Barnes with 26 points and Jacob Thomas with 25. Harrison also had 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal, and Jacob 4 rebounds, 4 assists and a steal.

Jordan Hughes also made a nice impact with his 17 points, 7 assists and 2 steals while Joe Coleman added 10 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals. Marvin Singleton chipped in 4 points, 3 rebounds and a steal; Chad Calcaterra 2 rebounds, Darren Glover a rebound and an assist and Peter Crawford a rebound.

Friday, Apr 10

Game 1 - We took on the highly rated Houston Hoops in our first game and lost 78-69. We were down by 20 + points in the second half but fought back and cut the lead to 2 points late in the game. However we spent so much energy digging out of the hole we had dug for ourselves that we did not have enough left to overcome our outstanding opponent.

Harrison Barnes was outstanding and finished with 27 points, 7 rebounds and 5 blocked shots; Jacob Thomas played well and tallied 15 points, 4 assists and 3 rebounds; Sophomore Joe Coleman showed that he is the real deal with his 11 points and 2 rebounds; Jordan Hughes had 6 points and 2 rebounds; Chad Calcaterra in his first time on the Nike circuit furnished 4 points and 4 rebounds; Marvin Singleton posted 4 rebounds and 2 points; Darren Glover was our best defender and also supplied 3 points, and although he didn't score Peter Crawford played well, especially on the defensive end. Marcus Alipate and Myles Barnes had limited playing time."

http://www.howardpulleybasketball.com/

There is one inaccuracy. The Wisconsin-based team Pulley beat today is the Playground Elite, not the Playground Warriors. I would guess that the team involved in the Sabes event in May is also the Playground Elite, which is a Nike-sponsored team.

In the game with Mac Irvin where Jake had the huge first half, I guess he had three fouls at half and picked up #4 in the first minute of the second half so he sat until the 5 minute mark and by then Harrison had taken over so he only took I believe two shots in the scond half. That Mac Irvin team has three top 100 Illinois recruits plus they have Tim Hardaway Jr. . Another interesting name that makes you feel really old is Thomas Hamilton son is a freshman on the team. Hamilton was a massive 7 footer, who if you remember the movie Hoop Dreams, played along side Rashard Griffith at King hs in Chicago who was upset by Arthru Agee and Marshall.

Pulley Website Has Update On W Last Night

Jacob Thomas has 73 points in 4 games. Barnes is obviously the star of the team in this event. Calcaterra playing a background role but starting to rebound better.

so remind me please..

Have we offered this kid? Is tubby interested in him?

Have we offered this kid? Is tubby interested in him?

Williams has more or less been begging for a Minnesota offer, but I do not think he has received one yet. I believe it was reported that the UM staff was out to see him a couple times during this past HS season. I also remember seeing Tubby (I think Saul and Jirsa as well) at the STA Jamboree in December watching Thomas, who was rather impressive that day.

Guessing ONLY

Williams has more or less been begging for a Minnesota offer, but I do not think he has received one yet. I believe it was reported that the UM staff was out to see him a couple times during this past HS season. I also remember seeing Tubby (I think Saul and Jirsa as well) at the STA Jamboree in December watching Thomas, who was rather impressive that day.

The U has 3 scholarships - 1 for a wing, 1 for a big man, and 1 for a guard. The G scholarship may go to Cory Joseph or Jacob Thomas. I doubt (just guessing) that Minnesota wants to sign both G.

2010 Guard

The U has 3 scholarships - 1 for a wing, 1 for a big man, and 1 for a guard. The G scholarship may go to Cory Joseph or Jacob Thomas. I doubt (just guessing) that Minnesota wants to sign both G.

OK, Rivals says we have offered Corey Joseph but have not offerred Thomas.

Vander Blue is another possibility at guard for the 2010 class.

Vander Blue has been commited to Wisconsin for like a year

From what I have heard from some reliable sources, he may be committed but I would consider it a soft verbal and there are definitely signs he is looking around, but doesn't want to cause an uproar by making it completely public. Not sure if its 100% true, but the person that told me this is usually pretty well connected to the AAU circuit.

From what I have heard from some reliable sources, he may be committed but I would consider it a soft verbal and there are definitely signs he is looking around, but doesn't want to cause an uproar by making it completely public. Not sure if its 100% true, but the person that told me this is usually pretty well connected to the AAU circuit.

Instead of posting something like this on a free board, at least admit that it is premium information from another site.

I could do that but do not know what you are talking about? The person that gave me that information is in charge of one of the AAU programs in MN.

Seems odd that your post is almost word-for-word what a premium post elsewhere notes.

The Vander de-commitment rumors have been out there for a couple months. He has denied them a number of times, to the Badger Blitz site as well as the UW beat writer at the Wisconsin State Journal. That said, there seems to be a little too much smoke for there to be no fire. I believe Vander will eventually decide that his initial decision is still the best one for him, but I am sure there will be rumors until signing day in November. He would great in Badger red, think Devin Harris only further along as a HS junior.

Hmm, further along than Devin Harris as a h.s. junior? Sounds like he'd look even better in Gopher maroon, Ole ;)

I'd believe Ole when it comes to Madison Memorial kids, he's got some pretty good connections around there. As for Ryan's report on Vander, as Ole said, where there is smoke usually there is some fire although AAU coaches love to talk and spread around alot of rumors. All I know is from the Minnesota side, they claim they have had no contact with Vander since his commitment and this was news to them. Now I guess it is possible this is all one big poker game and Blue has made it clear he doesn't want this topic out there and one theory is that he made the denials only to stop the talk but behind the scenes is making some moves and MN may be trying to respect his wishes in keeping it totally quiet. I would be suprised if that we're true but you never know.

Top Bottom