IW

Ok, I'll be frank.
I agree with your view, but Rick's comment before the season started about dissatifaction with IW and maybe 'needing to go in another direction' would have been well addressed by Richard. Rick has a history of 'rehoming' players that are misses (i.e.Matz). We can't afford for this to be a 'miss', and there is way too much upside to give up. However, I've listened carefully to Pitino's verbiage, and I don't hear that kind of talk that I hear from you, about patience and development. Never, 'we're really working with him on x'. When he talks, its all up to IW, and that's not quite true. I hear coaches talk all the time about how they're bringing players along. I've expected him to put some of that concern to rest. But he doesn't.

Daddy should have kept his mouth shut. Some players are more difficult to connect with than others but i have no way of knowing if IW is one of those players or not. I only know that Pitino wants things done a certain way to benefit the team and of they are not done that way then there are consequences. All players crave playing time and not getting it means the coach thinks playing someome else gives the team the best chance. Basketball is not about playing the best 5 but playing the best team.

If IW had some a little more (OK a lot more) defensive in him and could shut down or at least bother the best guards on the other team like Cowan for Maryland a couple of weeks ago, those other numbers become less important.

I still like IW when he pushes the tempo and has ball in his hands in transition or even a soft transition after a made basket, but like him a lot less in a slow down half court situation. He appears to be trying to be looking for ways to contribute in the slow down game when he can, he just is not as good there.

McBrayer, Coffey and IW are all much more effective in a fast paced transition game. Gabe is not bad either but he is more balanced with his shooting and emerging mid range game.

I was questioning the pregame comments by that sort of annoying old style east coast FS1/ BTN analyst when he said that Iowa wanted a faster game and the Gophers wanted a game in the mid 60s and he was proven completely wrong (he also said that Gabe is the best defensive guard, not Amir) by a high flying transition Gopher attack with a steady amount of offensive rebounding.

If not for Garza being a horse, and Moss shooting the lights out early it would have been a 30 point rout.

P.S. i rarely watch HS basketball, but I learned a lot when I saw Amir Coffey beat Trent Jr in the HS Playoffs (Apple Valley/ Hopkins). Amir blanket Trent Jr. that game and pretty much shut him down and that changed my perceptions of both players. Coffey might make more money playing basketball than Gary Trent Jr., who knows.

Last edited:

Daddy should have kept his mouth shut. Some players are more difficult to connect with than others but i have no way of knowing if IW is one of those players or not. I only know that Pitino wants things done a certain way to benefit the team and of they are not done that way then there are consequences. All players crave playing time and not getting it means the coach thinks playing someome else gives the team the best chance. Basketball is not about playing the best 5 but playing the best team.

Correct, Nova is going through a similar thing with their Jelly Fam guard. Jay Wright was recently on Jeff Goodmans podcast talking about the transition. Environments matter and being with coaches that are teach well is crucial in development. If IW had grown up playing for Dave Thorson like Gabe had, we'd be seeing a different player. I hear Pitino talk all the time about him and IW meeting and working on what he needs to do. A coach isn't always going to say every specific thing to the media and will generalize to protect the player as well.

Last edited:

Correct, Nova is going through a similar thing with their Jelly Fam guard. Jay Wright was recently on Jeff Goodmans podcast talking about the transition. Environment matter and being with coaches that are taught well is crucial in development. If IW had grown up playing for Dave Thorsen like Gabe had, we'd be seeing a different player. I hear Pitino talk all the time about him and IW meeting and working on what he needs to do. A coach isn't always going to say every specific thing and will generalize to protect the player as well.

Great post. It is why some very successful coaches really are focusing more on high school than AAU as in high school it is about the relationships and coaching. These coaches actually target certain high schools and coaches and build contacts over time. Going to a Dave Thorson practice was like watching a clinic on fundamentals and mental toughness.

Great post. It is why some very successful coaches really are focusing more on high school than AAU as in high school it is about the relationships and coaching. These coaches actually target certain high schools and coaches and build contacts over time. Going to a Dave Thorson practice was like watching a clinic on fundamentals and mental toughness.

Dave's practices were one of if not the best I've been too. Always been my pipe dream that he'd be back at the U. Jeter is a great consolation prize at least on the schematic side. I have not seen him in a practice, just always heard great things. Hope we can keep him for awhile, but I'd expect he'd be able to get another head job again soon.

Best game as a Gopher tonight. No turnovers, great shot selection, nice assists and even better...very solid defense. This is the IW we need every game.

Best game as a Gopher tonight. No turnovers, great shot selection, nice assists and even better...very solid defense. This is the IW we need every game.

He was good overall, but I don't know if I'd say great shot selection. He made a few tough shots that he almost never makes. Still ended up just 5-11 and 1-4 from three.

That dribble, dribble, dribble (no chance I pass the ball) air-ball three should count as a turnover.

Strongly disagree. This was not the IW we need, especially not what he did in the second half.

He was good overall, but I don't know if I'd say great shot selection. He made a few tough shots that he almost never makes. Still ended up just 5-11 and 1-4 from three.
At least one 3 point shot was caused by the team playing hot potato with the ball until the clock ran down. He happened to be the kid who had to heaven it up.
Zero turnovers says a lot. I would like to know his plus/minus tonight. Had to be positive.

That dribble, dribble, dribble (no chance I pass the ball) air-ball three should count as a turnover.

Strongly disagree. This was not the IW we need, especially not what he did in the second half.

He had a couple bad shots, but overall played very well. Our offense looks better with him in there and we went on that big run in the second half largely thanks to IW.

Very good game for IW. He was a game changer. I wouldn’t call it his most complete or efficient game, but he was an absolute catalyst for that big scoring run.

Player of the game was Pitino. I think he put together a fantastic game plan and rode The hot hands tonight.

I thought IW single handedly diffused the defensive pressure and changed the dynamic of the game. He had a couple of bad possessions but played very well in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, good thing you're strongly in the minority with your opinion. Most importantly, the coach thought he played "very well". Can't wait to see more of this.

At least one 3 point shot was caused by the team playing hot potato with the ball until the clock ran down. He happened to be the kid who had to heaven it up.
Zero turnovers says a lot. I would like to know his plus/minus tonight. Had to be positive.

Yeah that one was not his fault at all. He didn’t get the ball until there were just a few seconds left on the shot clock.

Were we watching the same game? I thought he played great. Came in and directed the huge run and set up the win. He was excellent other than a few shots.

Well, good thing you're strongly in the minority with your opinion. Most importantly, the coach thought he played "very well". Can't wait to see more of this.

Yes, that other guy is in the minority I hope!

IW was brilliant tonight. He played heavy minutes and the team was much better when he was out there. He hit some shots in the half court and drove to the hole dropped some great passes at the rim area.

He also stayed in front of some of the athletes from Ill. when on defense as well.

More importantly there were almost no bad decisions against a heavy ball pressure defense, and he controlled the ball with is NYC skills at times that was hard not to get exited about. Illinois jumps the passing lanes, with great ball skill type players, and most players get flustered. IW handled it very well, and even started to frustrate them. The other players did a fine job this time as well against the ILL. pressure.

McBrayer and Coffey do a pretty good job of not turning the ball over when dribbling, even thought they are not true PG types, but IW showed the path to a bigger finish this year if he can keep it up.

Last edited:

He hit some big shots in the first half. Played good. In the second half he was looking for his shot, news flash; overall, he's not a good shooter. His best games have been as a pass first pg.

He's really good at bringing the ball up under pressure, I don't trust Coffey to do that.

Some people expect him to play 50 possessions without a mistake, but don’t expect that from anyone else.

I rarely see people question Coffey who had a few abysmal possessions tonight. Or Murphy who always has a few terrible turnovers. Why do we expect Washington to be perfect and criticize him when he isn’t but don’t expect that from juniors and seniors? Makes no sense to me.

Some people expect him to play 50 possessions without a mistake, but don’t expect that from anyone else.

I rarely see people question Coffey who had a few abysmal possessions tonight. Or Murphy who always has a few terrible turnovers. Why do we expect Washington to be perfect and criticize him when he isn’t but don’t expect that from juniors and seniors? Makes no sense to me.

Perfectly stated.

Especially when he is playing a tough position (PG) and is transitioning from being a guy who absolutely dominated the ball in HS

I am not sure we watched the same game. IW unquestionably ignited the 2nd half turnaround. He made nearly 50% of is FG attempts and created high quality shots for his team mates. No concerns with him bringing up the ball against all the ball pressure Illinois applies. Coffey and McBrayer not nearly as comfortable.

I rarely see people question Coffey who had a few abysmal possessions tonight

True. It seems Coffey gets a pass because how many things he does right, but some of the stuff he does bothers me more than any other player.

I was reacting to this. This was not his best game as a Gopher. A couple less forced shots and couple more assists is what we need every game and he's capable of doing that if he stays with the pass first, shoot when it's there mindset.

Last edited:

Are you kidding me? You have no clue.

This x 1000. Coffee had a few really bad turnovers tonight while IW had ZERO yet some are still criticizing IW. Crazy.

The hate for this kid is unbelievable. He rarely turns the ball over at the toughest position on the floor. I will say it again if this team does anything this year it is only because IW is on the floor making plays. U better start cheering this kid on. Tonight he was excellent!

The hate for this kid is unbelievable. He rarely turns the ball over at the toughest position on the floor. I will say it again if this team does anything this year it is only because IW is on the floor making plays. U better start cheering this kid on. Tonight he was excellent!

I tend to agree. He has made some dumb plays before but in general, he can do things that nobody on the roster can do. He can break down his defender which draws the middle into him, freeing up others and he has made some terrific passes in that situation of late (versus forcing ridiculous layup attempts earlier in year or last season). The last couple of game, his jumper is falling which is a bonus. We will need him if we want to go far.. in some capacity.

seems as though IW is a second half of the season type of player!

Maybe it takes 20 games or so to shake off all that pick-up New York style carried over from the summer.

In any case, he looks like he is a dominant handle guy who can ease up the defense.

i have been critical of IW. I have also a lot of faith in Pitino's way of handling IW to improve his play. I think we are seeing a difference, as Pitino said, he came here with a huge social media following based on what he did on the play ground (so to speak). And he is only a sophomore. To say the disapproval of IW is hate filled is ridiculous. We see his talent and can't wait for him to learn the discipline to execute to the full extent of his ability. I am quite sure Pitino and IW are tight. Tonite we would not have won the game without IW. Pitino is totally aware, and kept IW in to the end of the game. I love the kid, it is just his play at times I don't like. Tonite IW was excellent, as was Pitino.

He was tremendous last night, more importantly...he was good off the court. He looked engaged on the bench, he pumped guys up on the court after mistakes and he looked like a point guard should, a leader on the court. IWs biggest issue has been consistency, heres to hoping he builds on this and helps lead to a victor @Purdue.

Totally Agree! IW drives me crazy when he doesn't pass but I thought he was great last night and groaned at a few forced shots by Coffey. No one is perfect and when a person gets tired they become less perfect. When a PGs ration is 4-0 that's a good game.

Top Bottom