It's on the coaching staff

maxwellsmart

Reaction score
I've been a Brewster apologist here, but today's outing was inexcusable. Note I did not say "loss," because it was the obviously poor game preparation, play calling and resulting performance that was unacceptable to me. We could have pulled it out at the end and it wouldn't have changed my opinion a bit.

Fourth season, no excuse for such sloppy preparation. Team obviously not mentally ready and had to get shaken up before getting into the game. Won't go over the poor play calling. You all know what it was on both sides of the ball. Will only say we called South Dakota's play here in the living room on more than one critical occasion, yet the Gophers were in no position to defend. Coaches put players in a position to win.

A few observations after the last few years:

There are more Upper Midwest players, including Minnesotans, capable of playing good major college football than most insiders seem to think. Please tell me who the best Gopher players have been over the past 15 years and from where they hail? We need to spend more time recruiting the 5-state area and less time running around the country on wild goose chases that too often yield players who do not live up to their clippings or end up not being serviceable for some other off-field reason.

I would never ever schedule another FCS opponent who has a significant number of Minnesota kids on their roster. These teams are better all over the country than in the past, but inviting a couple dozen kids who wanted to be Gophers back into town a couple of years later is like holding a loaded .357 to your head. I nearly choked when the announcers today talked about SD being unafraid of the Gophers? Unafraid or afraid of what? They could have lost by 70 points and it would have been quickly forgotten.

Brewster does a lot of things I truly appreciate. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem able to attain a consistent style or level of play. It's his fault alone. We should be playing spread now. Our roster is made for it. We should be espousing Ted Root's philosophy toward team defense. Instead we're turning into a soft carp of a defense that can be gutted by a mediocre FCS team.

Whoever called defensive plays should be relieved of duty immediately. No excuse for not figuring out that on 4th and short the Coyotes would put the ball into the hands of their QB and let him figure out whether to run inside, outside or pass the ball. No outside coverage, no spies on the QB. Only ourselves to blame.

Time to start over, hopefully with a coaching staff that believes in the work ethic and athletic ability of midwest football players. Bohl from NDSU might not be the best choice but he's a good place to start consideration. Then start looking at coaches from other outstanding FCS teams in our region. There are some great D3 coaches in Minnesota with outstanding ties to high school football coaches. One of them is 2nd year Gustavus coach Peter Haugen who did a tremendous job at Washburn before going to St. Peter. Not saying any of these guys specifically is the answer, but it's where the thinking ought to go. If not that way, then open the checkbook and get a proven winner.

Top Bottom