It's Official... No Mbakwe

"Trevor Mbakwe will not be allowed to play until legal matter resolved, Maturi announced."

Does sound like door is open to come back this year though.

Here's the statement from Maturi:

Maturi said that Mbakwe will continue to attend classes, be a part of the team and practice. However, he will not dress for home games nor travel to away contests, Maturi said.

"I believe that it is in Trevor's best interest and the interest of the University of Minnesota that this situation is fully resolved before we allow him to compete," Maturi said. "These types of decisions are always difficult, and many factors must be considered. At the end of the day, I believe I must do what's right for Trevor and this university. For now, that includes limiting his contributions to the basketball program to practice."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...P4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DUs

Go Gophers!!

"Trevor Mbakwe will not be allowed to play until legal matter resolved, Maturi announced."

Does sound like door is open to come back this year though.

He's not being kicked off the team by any means. It just means he can't play in a game until the case is resolved.

Defense Strategy

Does this make his attorney change his strategy on delaying the trial? If Maturi was in a vice making the decision, Trevor's attorney is in one now as well. If he continues the strategy of wanting to delay the trial (apparantly a common defense strategy), he ends Trevor's season. If he says to go forward in December, he may be weakening his defense. No fun for him. What's in Trevor's best interests now?

So I'm guessing the "move the trial until May" strategy is no longer the plan. Unless he can't get witnesses to prove his innocence until May, which would be awful for Trevor.

I don't see how this is in Trevor's best interests. I see the University, but not Trevor - his best interest is to play. Why doesn't Maturi just say that? Has an air of disingenuousness to it.

It is interesting in a case like this that there is no physical evidence. Has there been anything in the papers about it?

Imagine what this kid is going through if he has been wrongly accused and has to face a trial for something he did not do.

Let's just say he is innocent, he must be scared to death.

I am a huge Gopher basketball fan and one who is dying for us to win big. I would love to see Mbakwe play because he can help get us there. However, I think this is the right call. If Trevor is innocent and I hope he is, then this is really tough on him and that's the bad part- no doubt.

The problem is that this thing will hang over the team as an uncertainty if he is allowed to play before his trial. I'd rather see the team be in a position to gain a great player as the season goes along rather than build the team only to lose such a player during the year. Even if the trial were to be held off until spring who knows what day some unfavorable news might hit the front page of the sport section sending the team for a big disappointment. You don't want this hanging over the team all year.

Hopefully, the trial is in December, he's innocent and we get him back in plenty of time for the Big Ten. At least for now he can practice so that he can hit the court ready in December if and when this is resolved.

The more I think about this case the more I think that the right decision has been made.

Maturi is still allowing Trevor to practice and if the case is resolved in December, I don't think it'll be a huge detriment to the team to plug Trevor into the mix.

Given the unfortunate circumstances, Joel made the right decision. Now, the ball is in Trevor's hand and he should call his lawyer and get this resolved ASAP.

It is the right call

Difficult, but the right path to take. Now Trevor needs to get this trial behind him ASAP.

Trevor's attorney proceeded in what is, normally, the best way to address criminal charges ... delay, delay, delay. However this was just not the way to address a case where the accused is a scholarship basketball player for a school trying to keep (build?) a squeaky clean image.

I think it was important for Trevor's legal problem to be addressed as soon as possible. When Trevor's lawyer postponed the trial date from August(?) to December and additionally said he didn't think the trial would actually be held until next summer, my initial, admittedly knee-jerk, reaction was for Trevor to sit out until the assault issue was settled. I posted a rant where I said that Trevor should not be allowed to play until the legal issues are settled. Although I've mellowed a bit in that assessment, I do support Maturi's decision.

Alright, I understand the cloud that could hang over and all that, but seriously, what happened to innocent until proven guilty...this just sucks

Alright, I understand the cloud that could hang over and all that, but seriously, what happened to innocent until proven guilty...this just sucks

It obviously doesn't apply because this was not decided by a court of law. It was dealt with according to University athletic policy. At the beginning of the student-athlete code of conduct it points out participating is a privilege, not a right. He's on scholarship and he can be part of the program even if he can't play in games.

Trevor (or rather his attorney) has controlled the timeline on this. I think the reaction of a lot of us is if you're innocent, I'd want to have the trial and prove it. I realize that's not sound legal strategy but hopefully Trevor knew what was involved when he agreed to postponing. One thing that bothers me a bit about this is the story that Trevor kept the charges a secret for several months. I would guess he was hoping they'd go away, but you would have to think he should have realized this would come out. I wonder what Tubby's reaction was when found that out.

I am surprised by the GH reaction so far today. I sort of expected a meltdown from some but it hasn't happened. Of course, the news from Trevor himself over the weekend took the drama out of today's announcement.

Surprised at how many people have supported, or at least understood Maturi's decision. Other people are now speculating on line-ups. Art and Bronko have resumed their feud on another thread. Things have calmed down on the football forum and hopefully Upchurch will keep his promise. Life is calm again in GopherHoleville.

Trevor

<Hopefully, the trial is in December, he's innocent and we get him back in plenty of time for the Big Ten. At least for now he can practice so that he can hit the court ready in December if and when this is resolved.>

That's a valid point. I was of the opinion that Maturi was disingenuous claiming his decision was in the best interests of Trevor. I still am but less so and moving the other direction; if in fact, the case is a slam dunk, is over by December and he enters the Big 10 season practiced and ready to go, I would stand corrected.

Nice work, BGA1, changing an older man's mind is not easy:)

Ask the IRS about that concept. Ask about laws that allow the DNR to confiscate cars, guns, etc and basically keep them until you prove that you're innocent.

Trevor's attorney proceeded in what is, normally, the best way to address criminal charges ... delay, delay, delay. However this was just not the way to address a case where the accused is a scholarship basketball player for a school trying to keep (build?) a squeaky clean image.

I think it was important for Trevor's legal problem to be addressed as soon as possible. When Trevor's lawyer postponed the trial date from August(?) to December and additionally said he didn't think the trial would actually be held until next summer, my initial, admittedly knee-jerk, reaction was for Trevor to sit out until the assault issue was settled. I posted a rant where I said that Trevor should not be allowed to play until the legal issues are settled. Although I've mellowed a bit in that assessment, I do support Maturi's decision.

I don't know. I can't blame Trevor's lawyer for this one. If I was Trevor I would be more worried about mounting the best defense possible to stay out of jail than I would be about being eligible for the start of the basketball season.

Top Bottom