Is this partly a fan problem?

I have been reading this post nearly every day since it was posted.

I thought it was self-congratulatory pablum. Do people here think Minnesota is the only underachieving program that has a small, but dedicated base of fans? I'd guess that one could find the same thing at Georgetown, Boston College, or Georgia Tech. What people refer to as "loyalty" may be closer to "habit." No one says that a thirty year smoker is "loyal" to cigarettes.

This team is actually kind of interesting and has some promise. There are interesting players who are fun to watch and who will develop with experience. Clem always said it took 50 games to really develop at this level of college basketball, talking about high school students more than transfers. But even bad Clem teams had young players offering hope for future and fun for fans as they competed hard and we got to know them. We should maybe enjoy this team a little bit more.

For evidence let's look back to the 90-91 team that was a whopping 5-13 in Big Ten but was fun to watch and got fan support all year. I chose it because it was a team I remember pretty well and enjoyed watching the story lines and getting to know the players on the floor.

Kevin Lynch and Walter Bond were only seniors. Kevin a great leaper who provided highlights. Bond played a steady game and had some good shooting nights.

Bob Martin was a junior, tall, unathletic, hard worker.

Nate Tubbs was sophomore who averaged 4 points. Dana Jackson was a talented Chicago HS player player who transferred from San Diego State (2.5 ppg there), sat out a year, and had a pretty steady sophomore year (12 starts and 8.5 ppg) though did not develop from there).

Freshman class had some talent. Randy Carter was a major talent at power forward and ended up at 9.6 ppg and 5.9 rebounds a game. Ariel McDonald grew during the year and was second leading scorer. Townsend Orr didn't get much play, averaging 0.5 ppg. Ernest Z had some physical gifts but lacked elite basketball skills. (see part 2)
The gophers have not finished the season ranked since 1997 (if that counts) and have had 3 winning B10 records since then and 7 seasons of 4 or less wins. Lucky there are more than 1500 people showing up per night.

It’s a Gopher problem not a fan problem. Or a University problem for fucking the program over JG and suspensions.

The Timberwolves have been one of the worst franchises in all of pro sports. They play in one of the worst arenas in the NBA. Their tickets are more expensive than the gophers.

How is their attendance doing?
Wolves are the best in the West right now. If the gophers are a top B1G team 1/3 of the way through the B1G season .. the barn will be packed...

With that said.... Ben has been consistent... Consistently loosing ... That's why there's no fans... It's NOT a fan problem... It's a shitty team problem

Top Bottom