Is Rebounding the Key?

Reaction score
We outrebounded NU 36-18. During our losing streaks we were getting out rebounded quite frequently. Sampson and Carter had 7 and 8 respectively. NU had only 2 Offensive boards. When we limit our opponents to one shot we seem to win games. Thoughts?

The people I went with were not impressed with our rebounding, since Northwestern historically has been very bad at rebounding (even when they win).

That's a legitimate point monk but you still have to grab the boards (we only outrebounded them by 1 last month) and 2 to 1 is a pretty significant ratio.

The Gophers were just focused all around. Their intensity was there. If they bring that effort from here on out, we'll be tough to beat.

We should expect the Gophes to hammer a team like Northwestern on the boards, and they did. Northwestern doesn't exactly send people to the offensive glass. Am not reading much into the Gophers' rebounding prowess over the Wildcats.

We've gotten better on the boards, though we still have no single great rebounder (Carter is pretty good for the minutes he plays). If your calling card is defense and your offense is struggling - you had better win the boards!

I actually thought the key last night was our early communication. I felt like we had some good help defense on the majority of possessions. I still couldn't tell if we were switching arbitrarily, whenever the players called it, or only during certain defensive possessions. I thought there was a couple of I got him, no you get him, oh damn he scored.

We outrebounded NU 36-18. During our losing streaks we were getting out rebounded quite frequently. Sampson and Carter had 7 and 8 respectively. NU had only 2 Offensive boards. When we limit our opponents to one shot we seem to win games. Thoughts?

From my experience with basketball, the team that wins the rebounding edge usually wins the game. I think it's usually the most telling statistic for who is winning the game.

Top Bottom