Is Kevin O’Connell a PJ clone?

Everyone has to drink the Koolaide, and then we will have a cult culture.

PJ O'Connell. They just keep spitting these clones out one after another. There's going to be an army of 'em soon. It's like the Terracotta Warriors.

Last edited:

He used PJs favorite word (its only a 2 minute interview):

He used both Elite and Culture in there so he actually used two of them. The youth movement in the college and pro ranks is in full swing. Those who liked the old guard are going to have to adapt to this new breed of younger coach.

Going to be interesting to see if the local media gets as many potshots in about buzzwords on him

He loves his Cs, Collaboration, Communication, Consistency, Culture. Are these the type of things that young pup coaches say?

He loves his Cs, Collaboration, Communication, Consistency, Culture. Are these the type of things that young pup coaches say?
Those are the words the Wilf's used to describe what they were looking for in a new Vikings coach.
KOC being a bright guy made a pact with his wife he'd say collaborations a minimum of 77 times per day for the next month. He doubled down on repeating collaboration over and over during his two Viking interviews. It worked. They hired him.

Fortunately, 2022 will be year zero for the Vikes. He'll collaborate a 9-8 record and the fan base will be screaming COTY!

Actually, I wish him well. Vikes haven't had a coach with a fun personality since Jerry Burns. Denny Green was simply insane.

My biggest 'eyeball' concern though out the Zimmer era was the lack of passion / engagement by the players.

So many ho hum games where the team seemed down / disinterested ... even the miracle happened in the middle of what looked like a team that honestly didn't care... it was weird.

It has to be hard at the pro level to get guys motivated, hopefully this guy can.

I wonder how KFAN will treat him? They love young coaches who use buzz words.

Fortunately, 2022 will be year zero for the Vikes. He'll collaborate a 9-8 record and the fan base will be screaming COTY!

Actually, I wish him well. Vikes haven't had a coach with a fun personality since Jerry Burns. Denny Green was simply insane.
I really hope the Vikings have the patience to go through a small rebuild. They have a lot of core players who make a lot of money on the verge of 30. I think it would be a fairly quick rebuild, but I hope they get whatever assets they can get for some of those guys and build. If this core unit isn't going to win the Super Bowl, it isn't going to win it in 3 years when they are 31 instead of 28.

I really hope the Vikings have the patience to go through a small rebuild. They have a lot of core players who make a lot of money on the verge of 30. I think it would be a fairly quick rebuild, but I hope they get whatever assets they can get for some of those guys and build. If this core unit isn't going to win the Super Bowl, it isn't going to win it in 3 years when they are 31 instead of 28.
Hunter, Thielen, Cook, Smith are all players that they need to see if they can get something good in return for. Cook and Hunter are too injury prone and I think Thielen is past his prime. Smith probably can produce for a few more years, but his price tag is pretty high.

Hunter, Thielen, Cook, Smith are all players that they need to see if they can get something good in return for. Cook and Hunter are too injury prone and I think Thielen is past his prime. Smith probably can produce for a few more years, but his price tag is pretty high.
I really like Kendricks too, but I'd probably see what I can get.

Apart from the buzz words to get hired I don't think KOC is that similar to PJ. PJ has a handbook of terms. Kevin O'Connell has McVay's the "illusion of complexity" in his arsenal which is keeping things simple while making it look confusing to the defense. But there wasn't a lot of that that I heard.

The Vikes are in a quandary. They are $14M over the salary cap. Kirk Cousins' guaranteed contract is @ $45M.

What are they going to do? There are teams like Cleveland and Denver that are looking for a veteran QB. If Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson don't end there, will they entertain a trade with the Vikes for Kirk Cousins? The Vikes may have to swallow some of the guaranteed money.

They may have to cut some veterans long in the tooth regardless of whether Cousins stick around or leave. We will be entertained.

We will have to see how the Millenial GM and Gen Z head coach handle the Gen Z's. They can relate to the young players better than Khaki Pants. Certainly, they don't respond well to Mike Zimmer's acerbic and temperamental style.

This is a different world for Baby Boomers. The young pups are running the show now.

What about the catch phrase from “The Boys”?

I want to hear him say "We are 1-0 in the Green Bay championship week".

As long as The Cap’n is on the team as QB it doesn’t matter who the head coach is the Vikings will be average or below. He’s not a winner or leader and is way overpaid killing our ability to bring in other good players. Pay him out this year and start over next with a high draft choice; for God’s sake don’t extend him.

As long as The Cap’n is on the team as QB it doesn’t matter who the head coach is the Vikings will be average or below. He’s not a winner or leader and is way overpaid killing our ability to bring in other good players. Pay him out this year and start over next with a high draft choice; for God’s sake don’t extend him.
Don’t agree with you.
he is better than a Trent Dilfer or brad Johnson.

you are correct in saying he isn’t good enough to make an average or a bad team contend. He is good enough to make a good team contend. He is good enough to make a great team one of the favorites.

right now he plays on a team with a shit defense and a below average OL. So hard to say we went 8-9 this year so he sucks.

I'll have to watch him run down the sideline at the end of quarters before I can determine if he's a real clone.
I think we will need to see if the haters notice how affectionate his wife or girlfriend is after a big win to make the call….

Top Bottom