Iowa's Luka Garza declares for NBA draft, keeps eligibility

Plays hard and is big, but I don't his game translates well to the NBA.

I think he'll be back at Iowa next year. I also think his game is under appreciated.

He's a big who can run relatively well for a 7-footer, who can consistently knock down jumpers, with consistent range from 3-point, who also has a great post up game, and works hard. What about that doesn't translate? I am surprised he is not more liked by NBA scouts, but I'm not an evaluator.

Who comes off the board first, Garza or Carr?

Garza likely would go undrafted. Smart to test the waters and get feedback. Could get a two-way like Amir did

I think he'll be back at Iowa next year. I also think his game is under appreciated.

He's a big who can run relatively well for a 7-footer, who can consistently knock down jumpers, with consistent range from 3-point, who also has a great post up game, and works hard. What about that doesn't translate? I am surprised he is not more liked by NBA scouts, but I'm not an evaluator.

The only thing I have seen people say is that he can't defend. I don't care one single bit about the NBA so I can't pretend to know what they care about, but that surprises me that he is so unloved by them. I also thought they loved big men that can run and shoot the 3.

The only thing I have seen people say is that he can't defend. I don't care one single bit about the NBA so I can't pretend to know what they care about, but that surprises me that he is so unloved by them. I also thought they loved big men that can run and shoot the 3.
Not sure if I'd classify Garza as a runner as much as I'd call him a hard worker. I just don't know if the effort he brings compensates for the athleticism he lacks at the NBA level. He'll be a European league stud for as long as he wants to be though. Maybe he wants to get a head start on that.

I hope he turns pro, whether it be NBA or over seas. Returning to Iowa isn't going to change who he is as a player and where he ends up playing- cash in-avoid chance of injury.

Not sure if I'd classify Garza as a runner as much as I'd call him a hard worker. I just don't know if the effort he brings compensates for the athleticism he lacks at the NBA level. He'll be a European league stud for as long as he wants to be though. Maybe he wants to get a head start on that.
I'll admit the only time I have seen him play is against the Gophers. Even though I live in Iowa City this year. He didn't seem like a stiff, even if he wasn't an amazing athlete. The Euro Leagues will always be there, honestly if I am him I would love to come back and see how far I could take the team/what post-season honors I could win.

Pretty stupid to assume he might not play for the hawks next year

Feel better after your post dinner insult?

iit's wishful thinking (thought that was obvious) - tongue in cheek. - guess I overestimated someone's ability to grasp nuance, my bad.

Does everyone feel like Oturu's ceiling is that much higher than Garza's? Is that why everyone seems to feel Oturu will for sure stay in the draft and Garza will be back?

Last edited:

I'll admit the only time I have seen him play is against the Gophers. Even though I live in Iowa City this year. He didn't seem like a stiff, even if he wasn't an amazing athlete. The Euro Leagues will always be there, honestly if I am him I would love to come back and see how far I could take the team/what post-season honors I could win.

He looked pretty limited until this year, but started hitting shorter 3 point range shots, and showed better feet than I remember. He does have some real post skills, and as was said above would have been a better fit in the old NBA. I think his lack of ability to guard 2-3 positions might hurt him as a marginal roster guy.

I do not know enough about Europe, but my guess is he makes a lot money there.

Does everyone feel like Oturu's ceiling is that much higher than Garza's? Is that why everyone seems to feel Oturu will for sure stay in the draft and Garza will be back?

Yes, you just made the point I forgot to put in my last post. Oturu has a higher ceiling because he is much quicker, has the same other skills but can guard more positions and can put the ball on the floor, plus run the court and finish on a break better.

Yes, you just made the point I forgot to put in my last post. Oturu has a higher ceiling because he is much quicker, has the same other skills but can guard more positions and can put the ball on the floor, plus run the court and finish on a break better.
Agree. That guarding other positions is critical.

This may be the weakest draft for some time. If he goes 2nd round he's gone.

Agree. That guarding other positions is critical.
Yep. Oturu has the advantage of being smaller than Garza. Garza can guard the Brook Lopez's of the league and not many others. If Oturu improves his defense, he could be the type of player who can go up against true 5's and some 4's.

Top Bottom