Iowa Fan Here: Love Your Team and Your coach

HawkeyeGopher

Reaction score
I was at the game Saturday. I have been going to Iowa home games since 1962 and have personally attended at least 25 Iowa-Minnesota games. Your 2019 team is the best Gopher football team I have seen. You lost to a nationally ranked Iowa team last Saturday in a game that certainly could have gone the other way with a few different bounces of the ball. I think you have the best offense and best QB in the West division, and it isn't even close.

P.J. Fleck is a truly great coach. His enthusiasm is contagious and your kids play hard for him. Minnesota is going to be formidable for many years to come if you keep Fleck in Minneapolis. He was frank and fair in his comments after the game. He is a unique talent. I also think he is building your program the right way, by recruiting high character kids.

If you defeat Northwestern Saturday, you will be West Division Co-Champions. Defeat Wisconsin, and you will clinch it outright. Enjoy the ride! It is thrilling to me to see Minnesota with a great team again. Iowa's fans showed their respect for Minnesota by storming the field after the game. They recognized how truly good Minnesota is this year.

Iowa-Minnesota is a great rivalry and it should be cherished.

Thanks. Nice win on Saturday. You guys called a perfect offense in the 1st half. It was pretty clear that it caught our defensive staff totally off-guard. We'll have to hope next year in Minneapolis will be the year we reclaim Floyd.

That Epenensa (sp?) is a freak athlete.

Thanks. Nice win on Saturday. You guys called a perfect offense in the 1st half. It was pretty clear that it caught our defensive staff totally off-guard. We'll have to hope next year in Minneapolis will be the year we reclaim Floyd.

That Epenensa (sp?) is a freak athlete.

Yes, I too thought Iowa's offensive game plan was very good. The Gophers adjusted well in the 2nd have but it wasn't enough. Getting that far behind against their defense makes it pretty tough. I think older slyer coach won the day but we gave it a good shot.

Iowa had a great call on offense. No one to that point had opened a game with a haymaker punch to the mouth (I think PSU was close, but the Winfield interception deflected it). Iowa banked on the fact that if they could do that, and get a stop on the following defensive set, they could continue to punch and we wouldn't be able to recover.

Iowa's defense played clutch, we had a few trips to the red zone that came up short in the 1st half. If we had been able to execute on those, the story would be different.

All in All, Iowa is a good team, and scary good against top 10 teams at Kinnick. While I am sad we don't get floyd back this year, we play early in the season next year and it should be a good game!

Iowa played a great game vs the Gophers and got the W. Thanks for the kind words.

You sir are obviously a rare Iowa Gentleman and Scholar! ;)

Would love to see an annual back and forth battle with the two teams and have Floyd change hands often. Your team was clearly well prepared and handled themselves very well throughout the game. Unfortunately we could not sustain our "Red Zone" dominance against your defense and that I believe was the difference.

Good luck to the Hawkeye football team the rest of the season. As for the rest of your sports, I hope you lose miserably to the Gophers! ;)

Went down to Iowa last weekend and had lots of Hawkeye fans say very complimentary things about our team this year and the state of the program and the coach. I was very impressed. Takes a pretty special kind of fan to recognize that a great rivalry can't be maintained without your rival being good once in a while.

m5l0ots.gif

I was at the game Saturday. I have been going to Iowa home games since 1962 and have personally attended at least 25 Iowa-Minnesota games. Your 2019 team is the best Gopher football team I have seen. You lost to a nationally ranked Iowa team last Saturday in a game that certainly could have gone the other way with a few different bounces of the ball. I think you have the best offense and best QB in the West division, and it isn't even close.

P.J. Fleck is a truly great coach. His enthusiasm is contagious and your kids play hard for him. Minnesota is going to be formidable for many years to come if you keep Fleck in Minneapolis. He was frank and fair in his comments after the game. He is a unique talent. I also think he is building your program the right way, by recruiting high character kids.

If you defeat Northwestern Saturday, you will be West Division Co-Champions. Defeat Wisconsin, and you will clinch it outright. Enjoy the ride! It is thrilling to me to see Minnesota with a great team again. Iowa's fans showed their respect for Minnesota by storming the field after the game. They recognized how truly good Minnesota is this year.

Iowa-Minnesota is a great rivalry and it should be cherished.
Back at you: you have a great coach and a great program, going back to Fry, who set it in motion. You've had only two coaches since 1978 or so - pretty remarkable. By the way, I''ve traveled a lot in Iowa on business and like many of the cities from Sioux City to Des Moines to Davenport.

Nice comments and I also love what PJF has started here. In general the IO. vs MN. is a healthy rivalry. Good luck on the rest of your season.

Thanks for your kind words, HawkeyeGopher. Very classy! I agree 100% with what you said about the Minnesota-Iowa rivalry.

Classy post, Hawkeye! Was at the game as well, and very much enjoyed the experience despite the outcome. Enjoy the win, and credit to your defensive line - they truly played at a very high level all game - pressuring Morgan, largely stopping our running game, etc.

Top Bottom