Interesting Article on Scheduling

koreangopher

Section 231, Row 5
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4239858&sportCat=ncf

We seem are definitely out of the tier of the SEC schools that sell out regardless of who they play. There are many big schools in the Big Ten who can say the same. (My bro who goes to wisky says that the small time games are almost dead at camp randall) However, I would like to see us go the route of Georgia and always play the big boys. This year's isn't too bad and the future NC schedule looks like it is improving.

Too bad it is all about the Benjamins.

Remember this article next time some jerk-off starts talking about why the BCS needs to become a post-season tournament.

The BCS needs to focus on having the best teams play meaningful games in September -- not January. The regular season, for many teams, is a complete joke, and absolute waste of our time.

I read the article, but I reach the opposite conclusion. If teams are able to pad their schedule with creampuffs to get into the national championship game, that's all the more reason to have a playoff. This would mean such teams would not be just one step from the championship.

Remember this article next time some jerk-off starts talking about why the BCS needs to become a post-season tournament.

The BCS needs to focus on having the best teams play meaningful games in September -- not January. The regular season, for many teams, is a complete joke, and absolute waste of our time.

Jerk-offs, huh? So every other level of football, everywhere decides their champion on the field, and not by some beauty pageant, and they're the ones who got it wrong? I guess all the BCS conference commissioners and university presidents are just that much smarter than everybody else.

...or maybe it's that they're a bunch of greedy bastards who don't want to share the spoils with the rest of D-IA, and break out in hives at the thought of Utah, TCU, Ball St., etc. winning a legitimate national championship on the field of play.

Jerk-offs, huh?

I use the phrase in jest. I actually think a post-season could be cool.

But IMO, the bulk of the problem stems from the fact that teams from major confereces don't play each other enough anymore in September. And the way the system is so hansomely rewarding the cupcake-eaters it is getting awfully hard to blame them. And at this point, having a playoff in December/Jan would make the September problem even worse.

If the BCS facilitated 1 non-conference games for every BCS-conference team, and 3 for every non BCS-conference team we would start to have some basis for beiveing who the best 8 or 12 teams in the nation are.

The article has flaws

One of the flaws is the sample size, it picks four years, 78, 88, 98 and 08. I'd want to see this done for all the years from 78 till now.

Another flaw is that a number of independents have joined conferences. Pitt was 8-4 in 78, and 6-5 in 88. By 1998, they were in a conference. Penn State was 11-1 in 78 and 5-6 in 88. By 1998, they too were in a conference. In 1978 and 1988, all games against these teams were non-conference games.

Ok, Penn State was a top team in 1978, and Pitt was pretty good in 1978. But what about 1988, neither team was very good? That brings us to Notre Dame. Notre Dame was 9-3 in 78, 12-0 in 88 and 9-3 in 98. They were not a top 20 team this season. Had Notre Dame had as good a team in 08 as they had in 78, 88 or 98, the number of non-conference games in 2008 between top 20 teams would have been higher.

I think one step the Big 10 could make is to add a conference championship. Without one we and the Pac-10 have an easier time to the title game than the other conferences that have them as we have one less tough game against one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference at the end of the season IMO.

I think one step the Big 10 could make is to add a conference championship. Without one we and the Pac-10 have an easier time to the title game than the other conferences that have them as we have one less tough game against one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference at the end of the season IMO.

To do that they would have to add one more team. You have to have 12 teams for a championship game.
________
Vaporizer questions

Top Bottom