Interesting Article on Oregon

RailBaronYarr

Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted some time before...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6909937/how-does-oregon-football-keep-winning

Few points:

"They didn't get people to watch because they got good. They got good because they got people to watch." Kinda disagree here considering the article points out that Oregon had already attended a Rose and Cotton Bowl before changing their identity. I'm sure Mike Belotti would take a little offense to claiming the team only got good because of the uniforms.

However, they make some good points on tradition vs tradition of change. Our uniform debates on our forum always end in some people preferring one vs another, but we don't have tradition the way Michigan, Penn St, Alabama, etc have. Our uniforms HAVE changed many, many times over the course of our storied program. Our helmet has not remained a consistent identity, not have our tops, pants, or even shoes. As long as we aren't burning retinas on the TV screen and keep our colors the same, I'm fine doing whatever it takes to appeal to young athletes and viewers at large.

You still have to be able to play no matter what you wear onto the field. I can't wait for the games to be played so writers don't have to write stories like that.

Top Bottom