Injured Gophers Liam Robbins and Gabe Kalscheur won't play in Big Ten tourney opener

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday that former starters Liam Robbins and Gabe Kalscheur will not likely play in Wednesday's Big Ten tournament opener vs. Northwestern.

"Neither of them practiced yesterday," Pitino said in his video conference call. "I do not anticipate Liam and Gabe playing."

Robbins, who is averaging 11.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and a Big Ten-best 2.7 blocks, has been sidelined four games with a sprained left ankle. Kalscheur, who averages 9.2 points, has been out five games since suffering a broken finger on his right shooting hand Feb. 16.

Pitino had previously hoped Robbins at least could return for the Big Ten tournament in Indianapolis after sitting out. He suffered the sprained ankle in the second half of the Feb. 11 win vs. Purdue at Williams Arena.

"Liam I would be surprised," said Pitino on his 7-footer center being back. "Gabe is definitely further away."

Go Gophers!!

One and done.

Crap way to end a crap year.

He suffered the sprained ankle in the second half of the Feb. 11 win vs. Purdue at Williams Arena.

And have lost 7 in a row since.

The hits just keep on coming.

That said, I wouldn't put it past Pitino that he's trying some gamesmanship through the media, certainly with regards to Robbins. And I wouldn't blame him. He has nothing to lose, he'll be gone less than 24 hours after they're eliminated either way.

One and done.

He suffered the sprained ankle in the second half of the Feb. 11 win vs. Purdue at Williams Arena.

And have lost 7 in a row since.
I remember thinking it was a season changer, but then he got up and shot his FT's....

Why TF is Pitino still coaching?

One and done.

Don't be too sure. We did as well against Rutgers in the last game as we did when both Gabe and Robbins played in the previous game against them despite Carr scoring only 7 points in the regular season finale. Johnson, Mashburn, Williams, and Ihnen combined for 55 points in the season finale while that group scored only 23 points in the first game against Rutgers.

Northwestern isn't as strong inside as Rutgers and not as good of a team overall so I think we have a fair chance in this one.

I think the Gophers beat Northwestern. There. I said it.
It certainly could happen but without Robins it feels really really really really unlikely. But hey you never know. Not like Northwestern is anything spectacular on the basketball court. :)

The hits just keep on coming.

That said, I wouldn't put it past Pitino that he's trying some gamesmanship through the media, certainly with regards to Robbins. And I wouldn't blame him. He has nothing to lose, he'll be gone less than 24 hours after they're eliminated either way.
He'd play Robbins if Robbins was ready. Pitino is done regardless but he would pad his reputation a little for future positions, if the Gophers made it to Saturday by some miracle. Zero chance of beating OSU without Robbins. I would love to see him play in that game if he can.

Maybe Coyle is a sadist. He wants to torture Pitino, the players, and us too.
It would be a low class move to ax him before the season ends. That would not sit well with prospective coaches. You watch how a school treats a coach. Coyle is smart.

It would be a low class move to ax him before the season ends. That would not sit well with prospective coaches. You watch how a school treats a coach. Coyle is smart.

It wasn't a serious comment.

If we somehow win the tourney does Pitino keep his job?

If we somehow win the tourney does Pitino keep his job?
I doubt it. They were 6-14 and were pretty bad last year as well. Coyle could really buy into the injuries bit I suppose and assume we would have won 3 or 4 down the stretch if Robbins and Gabe were uninjured putting us on the bubble, but that would indicate bubble is as high as his expectations go.

I doubt it. They were 6-14 and were pretty bad last year as well. Coyle could really buy into the injuries bit I suppose and assume we would have won 3 or 4 down the stretch if Robbins and Gabe were uninjured putting us on the bubble, but that would indicate bubble is as high as his expectations go.
I would put our odds at 1 in 10 today
1 in 5 tomorrow
1 in 10 on Saturday
1 in 10 on Sunday
So- 1 in 5000 to win it all and still:
Pitino is fired.
Elite 8 or better is the only way he could save it.
That would put it in the range of 1 in a million

So...you are saying that there is a chance

Top Bottom