Incoming freshmen - strength tests

WillieBurton

Reaction score
Yesterday the team did strength tests for all of the incoming freshmen. Brooks Michel did very well, tying with Ra'Shede Hageman for the best on the bench press. Both of them did 18 reps at 225 pounds. On the clean and jerk, Kendall Gregory-McGahee tied with Hageman for the best. Brooks Michel weighed in at 295, Hageman at 275 and McGahee at 240.

If those numbers are right, holy crap!
-If Hageman is really 275 he'll be a monster. Not because he'll be a 275 lb TE but because he'll be playing closer to 260 IMO meaning he'll be even lighter on his feet. Either that or he'll end up at DE if he stays at that weight
-Really impressed at KGM's strength and also his weight. I thought he'd be about 220 and would need a few years to bulk up. RIght now he's only about 15-20 lbs away from being a decent sized DE and is big enough to play this year which I didn't think he'd be

Good stuff WB - thanks for posting.

I have to say that I am SO excited to see Hageman. I think he has a huge upside...it's going to be fun watching the young guys develop, and with the influx of talent that Brew is bringing in, it will really make the fall position battles fun to watch.

Go Gophers!!

I'm excited about all of the guys mentioned above, but am also curious how Garin did. Any word?

I wonder if Bryant Allen was able to do 225 - he looks like he weighs half of that!

Yesterday the team did strength tests for all of the incoming freshmen. Brooks Michel did very well, tying with Ra'Shede Hageman for the best on the bench press. Both of them did 18 reps at 225 pounds. On the clean and jerk, Kendall Gregory-McGahee tied with Hageman for the best. Brooks Michel weighed in at 295, Hageman at 275 and McGahee at 240.

Do you have any other results? How did everyone else look??

thanks.

If Hageman is indeed 275 and that strong, he needs to be on the DL.

Anyone know how Maresh is doing? Other than the stadium opening, I think I'm most excited about him carrying the flag out of the tunnel. That should pull at the heart strings a little:cry:

As I said, your right side of the line will be Caurfel, Wills, Hageman. I see 39 power sweep. I don't know who the tailback will be, but the seal blocks from Caurfel and Hose should be as Vince described it. This aint no strectch play, its power right.

As I said, your right side of the line will be Caurfel, Wills, Hageman. I see 39 power sweep. I don't know who the tailback will be, but the seal blocks from Caurfel and Hose should be as Vince described it. This aint no strectch play, its power right.

What offensive coordinator had odd number plays calls to the right! :). 38 sweep. :p

What offensive coordinator had odd number plays calls to the right! :). 38 sweep. :p

I think you are right Monk. I can see it now though: a little sweep to the right with Wills just exploding off the line, pancacking the Mike backer, then punching the FS in the mid-section - thus disabling him.

38 sweep will be good to us...

If those numbers are right, holy crap!
-If Hageman is really 275 he'll be a monster. Not because he'll be a 275 lb TE but because he'll be playing closer to 260 IMO meaning he'll be even lighter on his feet. Either that or he'll end up at DE if he stays at that weight
-Really impressed at KGM's strength and also his weight. I thought he'd be about 220 and would need a few years to bulk up. RIght now he's only about 15-20 lbs away from being a decent sized DE and is big enough to play this year which I didn't think he'd be

My thought was future at LT for Hageman???

Hageman

Excellent info, WB.

The first time I watched Hageman play, I thought he was more impressive as a DE. He completely disrupted the game from the edge (although I should note that it was against inferior talent), but he had a few drops and a few other attempts that bounced off his chest protector. I reported back that he was a freak athletically, but lacked hands. The next game he caught 7 passes for 2 TDs in the first half, and I nearly got throttled.

(Condensed version: Hageman should be a good player no matter where he ends up.)

Hageman: Just glad he chose the maroon and gold. Could have been an ugly 4 yr reminder had he decided to play elsewhere within the Big Ten.

we had odd holes to the right in high school, and at Nebraska. Maybe the play calling in Minnesota with odd to the left is the problem.

I think Hageman has the hands to stay a TE especially if he maintains the wheels. We need a big strong TE to supplement the monstrous line that Davis is concocting.

we had odd holes to the right in high school, and at Nebraska. Maybe the play calling in Minnesota with odd to the left is the problem.

Seriously, as long as the players know what the hole numbering scheme means, it does not matter. I've played with odd numbers on the left and right. I've also played with highest numbers toward the center, not the end. I've learned from coaches that were from: Alabama, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, and Ohio. It might just be my opinion, but it really doesn't matter.

Never know where he will end up! Bobby Bell, John Williams and Charlie Sanders all changed positions a few times.

according to this...Nebraska=Russia

I played H.S and College, in Minnesota, and Right was even, Left was odd. I coached a little bit in Georgia, Alabama and North Carolina as well as Minnesota H.S. Football and they were even Right, odd Left as well. The big difference I have seen, is the "0" or no zero for QB Sneaks on a quick count following the center to the second level. It makes no real difference, just what you are used to.

Seriously, as long as the players know what the hole numbering scheme means, it does not matter. I've played with odd numbers on the left and right. I've also played with highest numbers toward the center, not the end. I've learned from coaches that were from: Alabama, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, and Ohio. It might just be my opinion, but it really doesn't matter.

I only meant it as a joke, not to spawn some kind of offensive coordinator "religious" battle. :).

In my three offenses I was a part of (high school and college playing and coaching high school) I found the route numbers / naming to be the most unique. In general the running plays were pretty close though not exact the same.

Top Bottom