In defense of Adam Weber

Reaction score
It's such a shame about Weber. He has the size, physical skills, and attitude to be an NFL QB. I think, to a large extent, you have to blame his failures on coaching. He was recruited by Mason into a zone read offense. Then the abrupt transition to Dunbar's spread. By the time he has it down and is fairly productive in it, in comes Jedd "Kill Shot" Fisch, and the result is such a disaster that Jeff Horton is hired to pick up the pieces. 3 systems and 4 coaches in 5 years. Ask Alex Smith how that's gonna work out.

The head coach has to be smart and confident enough to choose a system that will work and commit to it. I hate the spread and I thought installing it here was the stupidest idea ever (which it was). That said, Adam fit into it well. But once you install it, you have to commit to it. You need stability. Brewster will run whatever he thinks is cool. And the whole team suffers because of it.

Most of Weber's problems right now are correctable. Staring down receivers, panicking in the pocket, poor reads, overthrowing & underthrowing, etc. This can all be worked on and fixed. What he really needs is a mentor, somebody with a clue, a Mike McCarthy QBs coach type. I'll bet he still gets an NFL tryout, because somebody has to see the potential in him. Doubt he will make a roster but hope I'm wrong.

It's such a shame about Weber. He has the size, physical skills, and attitude to be an NFL QB.

Nice to know Adam's Dad is posting on our board. True, Weber wasn't responsible for letting USD's QB look like a first round draft pick (Childress's next QB project?), but c'mon. The only way Adam's getting paid for anything to do with an NFL game this time next year is if he's selling beer at a stadium.

I'll also grant you that McKnight dropped a couple of spot on passes that could have impacted the game, but Weber was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread on both fumbles. On the 2nd one he tucked it under the wrong arm as he was getting hit. Seniors aren't supposed to do dumb things like that. Especially if they're NFL material.

I

Most of Weber's problems right now are correctable. Staring down receivers, panicking in the pocket, poor reads, overthrowing & underthrowing, etc. This can all be worked on and fixed. What he really needs is a mentor, somebody with a clue, a Mike McCarthy QBs coach type. I'll bet he still gets an NFL tryout, because somebody has to see the potential in him. Doubt he will make a roster but hope I'm wrong.

He has had 4 years to correct these problems and the only thing he's shown against a halfway descent defense is that Eric Decker can catch his balls.

I agree. Weber has regressed, but really, could a QB get jerked around anymore than he has been and perform well? Maybe Jason Campbell has been jerked around more but he's got a lot more talent than Weber, and he gets paid.

You might get nominated for Preposterous Statement of the Year....

Nice to know Adam's Dad is posting on our board. True, Weber wasn't responsible for letting USD's QB look like a first round draft pick (Childress's next QB project?), but c'mon. The only way Adam's getting paid for anything to do with an NFL game this time next year is if he's selling beer at a stadium.

I'll also grant you that McKnight dropped a couple of spot on passes that could have impacted the game, but Weber was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread on both fumbles. On the 2nd one he tucked it under the wrong arm as he was getting hit. Seniors aren't supposed to do dumb things like that. Especially if they're NFL material.

No *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, and how hard is it to learn something like that. He's not learning it because nobody is teaching it. There are long lists of fairly straightforward things-to-do and things-not-to-do as a college QB that are not going to just pop into a player's head. That's a big part of why we have coaches.

coach
verb [ trans. ]
- train or instruct (a team or player) : he has coached Little League baseball.
- give (someone) extra or private teaching : he was coached to speak more slowly and curb his hand gestures.
- teach (a subject or sport) as a coach : a Washington realtor who coaches soccer.
- prompt or urge (someone) with instructions : he had improperly coached the witness to testify more credibly.

No, they aren't. So think: why does Adam? Is it because whenever his great coaches try to help him, he says "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing, I'm the greatest QB ever"? Or is it because in his college career he's had 4 different coaches teaching him 4 different ways of playing his position, all of them poorly & incompletely?

No, they aren't. So think: why does Adam? Is it because whenever his great coaches try to help him, he says "leave me alone, I know what I'm doing, I'm the greatest QB ever"? Or is it because in his college career he's had 4 different coaches teaching him 4 different ways of playing his position, all of them poorly & incompletely?

Maybe that's possible. But I don't think people are asking to explain why Weber sucks so bad, just that he doesn't play anymore. The cause, at this point, is much less important than the cure.

Are you kidding? You know that having 4 different coaches should have zero barring on Adam Panicking in the pocket? You know they have no effect on his accuracy (under throw, over throw). There is just certain things expected out of every college QB and you just aren't getting it.

Top Bottom