In College Football - Cheaters Prosper

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
So how does a school with strong allegations of cheating, and a coach penalized, obtain a #1 seed in the college football playoffs?

What does this say about the NCAA? They leave out Florida St because “they’re just not the same team w a backup QB” even though they’re undefeated, yet the NCAA looks past the sins of liars and cheaters.

So how does a school with strong allegations of cheating, and a coach penalized, obtain a #1 seed in the college football playoffs?

What does this say about the NCAA? They leave out Florida St because “they’re just not the same team w a backup QB” even though they’re undefeated, yet the NCAA looks past the sins of liars and cheaters.
I get what you are saying and don't disagree but at the same time it isn't like FSU has a spotless reputation when it comes to following the rules as well.

In the case of Michigan, they punished the coach but the team kept on winning even without him on the sideline. College football has essentially become a pro league at this point where there isn't much emphasis on the college part anymore. At least not at the Power 5 level.

I get what you are saying and don't disagree but at the same time it isn't like FSU has a spotless reputation when it comes to following the rules as well.

In the case of Michigan, they punished the coach but the team kept on winning even without him on the sideline. College football has essentially become a pro league at this point where there isn't much emphasis on the college part anymore. At least not at the Power 5 level.

All true. Odd that the Bowl Committee was fine punishing the FSU kids because they lost their Quarterback but wouldn't punish the kids at Michigan because of the actions of the Coaching staff. Even though those actions may have gotten them into the playoffs.

The difference is In the NFL if a team goes undefeated they still make the playoffs. Even if their star Quarterback gets injured beforehand. They win or lose it on the field of play.

I would have had no complaints if Michigan was left out, but at the same time I understand it isn't the committee's job to consider that stuff.

On the other hand, I 100% agree with their decision to exclude FSU. Heisman-caliber QBs are a pretty important part of championship teams and they lost theirs. At least 'bama has a chance at beating Michigan.

The playoff selection is very flawed. Most shocking to me is the absence of Georgia. It used to be only two teams selected and people got their panties in a bunch about snubs back then too. expanding the playoff should help some but I think overall I like the classic bowl game set up the best. Winning your conference should mean a lot.

The playoff selection is very flawed. Most shocking to me is the absence of Georgia. It used to be only two teams selected and people got their panties in a bunch about snubs back then too. expanding the playoff should help some but I think overall I like the classic bowl game set up the best. Winning your conference should mean a lot.
How can you say that you are shocked by Georgia not being invited, but then say that winning your conference should mean a lot? They didn't win their conference...and didn't get invited.

What's the difference between CFP and the BCS? CFP is still an arbitrary group of people picking teams.

I would have had no complaints if Michigan was left out, but at the same time I understand it isn't the committee's job to consider that stuff.

On the other hand, I 100% agree with their decision to exclude FSU. Heisman-caliber QBs are a pretty important part of championship teams and they lost theirs. At least 'bama has a chance at beating Michigan.
From a matchup standpoint they probably got it right putting Alabama in over FSU as without Travis it will be very hard for FSU to compete without the other 3.

But that doesn't change the fact that keeping an undefeated power 5 team out of the playoff is complete and total BS. You are punishing a whole team that went undefeated because one player got hurt.

But that doesn't change the fact that keeping an undefeated power 5 team out of the playoff is complete and total BS. You are punishing a whole team that went undefeated because one player got hurt.
The CFP isn't supposed to be some feel good reward for what you did during the season. The team is being "punished" as you put it because objective people don't think they are a top 4 team anymore without their Heisman-candidate QB. Or should fans be "punished" by having to watch another beat-down type of game.

I get that some on here are all about rewarding the regular season, no matter what chance you have in the playoff, and that's why they love the thought of the Coastal Carolinas and Tulanes getting in in the expanded playoffs, but others don't want to watch teams that are overmatched. Thankfully for those of us in the latter group, the committee agrees with us.

It is pretty interesting that they punished Florida state for not having the QB but didn’t punish Michigan for not having C Stalians

Interesting how they and their QB has done much worse

Since the Purdue game:
JJ McCarthy has 1 touchdown pass and 1 interception in 5 games

In the the first 8 games he was 18 and 3

Not that it should’ve moved them out. But Washington should’ve maybe been the one seed

I get that some on here are all about rewarding the regular season, no matter what chance you have in the playoff, and that's why they love the thought of the Coastal Carolinas and Tulanes getting in in the expanded playoffs, but others don't want to watch teams that are overmatched. Thankfully for those of us in the latter group, the committee agrees with us.
It's not even that so much as it's a farce to say that the Sun Belt plays in the same division of football as the SEC if they literally have no chance to win a championship. Either auto bid all conferences or make an official split between the G5 and the P4. As I've said, otherwise, those teams are playing for nothing.

The CFP isn't supposed to be some feel good reward for what you did during the season. The team is being "punished" as you put it because objective people don't think they are a top 4 team anymore without their Heisman-candidate QB. Or should fans be "punished" by having to watch another beat-down type of game.

This isn't about the G5 teams or some feel good story. FSU is an ACC team that played and beat 2 SEC teams this year and beat a top 15 Louisville team with their 3rd string QB. They went undefeated, they deserve a spot in the playoff more than a 1 loss SEC team that needed a miracle play to get past a 6-6 Auburn team.

Alabama vs. FSU straightup without Travis is maybe a small advantage to Bama but I don't think it is by a wide margin.

We all know why Alabama got in and it has little to nothing to do with competition. FSU was getting screwed the moment Bama beat Georgia because they couldn't justify putting Alabama in over Texas due to head to head so therefore FSU was out. The Travis injury gave them a reason they could put out there for the screw job but the fact of the matter is that ESPN wasn't going to have a playoff without an SEC team.

It is what it is but it is foolish to pretend for one second that the committee gave a crap about competitive games. I have no dog in this fight, I don't like Alabama or Florida State but there is no line of BS anyone can feed me that will make me think Alabama deserved that sport more than Florida State.

They leave out Florida St because “they’re just not the same team w a backup QB”...
You know who else is "just not the same team"?

In their first 9 games, michigan's average margin of victory was 34 points. Then the cheating was exposed and team's begin to change their signals.

Their final 4 games margin of victory was 12 points.

If you don’t like how hot dogs 🌭 are made, don’t eat them🥴

FSU had a weaker schedule and still scraped by barely on a few of them. Sorry, but they’re just not as good.
Alabama scraped by against Auburn, Arkansas and South Florida.

Texas scraped by against Houston and TCU.

This isn't about the G5 teams or some feel good story. FSU is an ACC team that played and beat 2 SEC teams this year and beat a top 15 Louisville team with their 3rd string QB. They went undefeated, they deserve a spot in the playoff more than a 1 loss SEC team that needed a miracle play to get past a 6-6 Auburn team.

Alabama vs. FSU straightup without Travis is maybe a small advantage to Bama but I don't think it is by a wide margin.

We all know why Alabama got in and it has little to nothing to do with competition. FSU was getting screwed the moment Bama beat Georgia because they couldn't justify putting Alabama in over Texas due to head to head so therefore FSU was out. The Travis injury gave them a reason they could put out there for the screw job but the fact of the matter is that ESPN wasn't going to have a playoff without an SEC team.

It is what it is but it is foolish to pretend for one second that the committee gave a crap about competitive games. I have no dog in this fight, I don't like Alabama or Florida State but there is no line of BS anyone can feed me that will make me think Alabama deserved that sport more than Florida State.
I love how everyone is just assuming it would be a beatdown. The exact same people who said last year Michigan TCU was going to be a blowout and that TCU didn’t deserve to be there. The games are played on the field, not in the minds of fans or bookmakers

I don’t get the SEC love on this board. I hate Iowa, but I hate the SEC much, much more.

FSU may have had the best defense in the playoffs, and even with their 3rd string QB they could still score some points. They got screwed.

I don’t get the SEC love on this board. I hate Iowa, but I hate the SEC much, much more.

FSU may have had the best defense in the playoffs, and even with their 3rd string QB they could still score some points. They got screwed.
Michigan probably gets the nod for top D but FSU's is very good as well. And yeah, the argument that FSU isn't good enough because their QB is hurt is silly. The powers that be needed a reason to justify putting an SEC team in and apparently that was the best they could come up with.

I wonder how they would have spun it if Travis didn't get hurt and FSU was putting up enough style points. Guessing that in that scenario they maybe hose Texas instead and say that a week 2 head to head matchup doesn't really matter. The only certainty in any scenario is that one of the 4 spots was going to go to and SEC team if there was any possible way to justify it.

on the OP's point about Michigan --

when the B1G reached the agreement for Harbaugh to get a 3-game suspension, that is not the end of the story. the NCAA is still investigating - in fact, much of the evidence the B1G considered was provided by the NCAA.

at some point, the NCAA is going to conclude its investigation and issue a ruling - which (I think) is likely to include further punishment.

so Michigan can enjoy its time in the spotlight. the other shoe has not dropped yet, and it could land with a real thud. I could be wrong, but I just don't think there is any chance that Michigan gets off scot-free in this deal. there will be penalties - the question is how severe they might be.

Top Bottom