Illinois-PSu

Reaction score
Their first half was somehow worse than ours...

17-15 Penn State

Both teams shooting less than 30%

Does Penn State make everybody play terrible?

I just saw Illinois was up 26-20 midway throught the second half.

I want to think the Big Ten is good this year, but it's games like this (and most any Gopher game lately) that make me wonder. You can't say this is all defense.

Yuck.

Not Convinced

I am not convinced these low scoring games are evidence of great defense. Strikes me as equally attributable to inept offensive skills. I dont think this makes the big 10 ncaa chances look promising.

On a related note, the Penn State victory drops the Gophers into a tie for 6th. We need to win some games.

Could this have gone worse for the gophers? The Big Ten looks terrible and PSU moves ahead of us. This game at Michigan is starting to look like a must win.

Must not be the officiating. Ed Hightower and crew officiated the Louisville/Providence game and it ended 94-76. It looked like pinball out there for parts of the first half and they were letting most of it slide. They did called 3 techincals though, just to leave their own special mark on the game...

Maybe Ed's crew just hates the bigten?

Could this have gone worse for the gophers? The Big Ten looks terrible and PSU moves ahead of us. This game at Michigan is starting to look like a must win.

It's real bad for us if we finish 9-9. If we finish 10-8 we are in. A win at Michigan or IL or sweep our home games.

I've defended the Big Ten this season because the results (the most important thing) have been much better against quality opponents during the regular season, but there's no defending what I saw last night. There have been some butt-ugly games in the Big Ten this season & that was far & way the butt-ugliest. And that's saying something. I think I would have rather watched Dukie V and Mike Patrick fawn all over Duke.

When I was texted the score during the later part of the first half, I assumed there were delays while the referees retrieved the ball out of the peach basket after every field goal.

Fun Stats From this Game

Per Rush The Court:

Only one player scored in double figures (Penn State's Taylor Battle with 11).

• The teams combined to shoot 28-of-96 (.292) from the field, and 6-of-33 (.180) from the 3-point line.

• The combined total of 71 points is the second-lowest output in Div. I in four years (since Monmouth defeated Princeton, 41-21, in 2005. Last year, George Washington beat Saint Louis 49-20, the 20 points being the lowest total for a Div. I team in the shot clock era).

• Is this box score correct? Illinois didn't attempt a single free throw? How is that even possible?

• The line for Penn State guard Stanley Pringle: 1-9 from the field, 0-2 from three, 0-0 free throws, 2 rebounds, 2 points.

It was nice to watch history last night I guess...

Top Bottom