Ilhen cleared. Fox next?

Mulligan

Reaction score
From the Strib:

The Gophers men's basketball team doesn't officially open practice for this season until the end of the month, but forward Isaiah Ihnen will have no limitations once it starts.

Ihnen, a 6-10 redshirt junior, was fully cleared for contact recently after missing the last two seasons with knee injuries.

The German native sat out last season after having surgery on the same left knee he injured before the 2021-22 season. This year, Ihnen is expected to compete for spot in the main rotation for the Gophers, who open the season Nov. 6 against Bethune Cookman.

Ihnen last played under former Gophers coach Richard Pitino, averaging 2.8 points and 3.5 rebounds in 29 games in 2020-21. He's the last player from the Pitino era on the team.

Junior forward Parker Fox, a former Division II All-American transfer and Mahtomedi standout, was also lost for 2022-23 season with a second torn ACL. Fox was limited in practice this summer as a precaution, but he could be fully cleared later this month.

Gophers coach Ben Johnson said at the State Fair last week that he expected Ihnen and Fox would be cleared once the team starts practicing again.

Impossible. Howdy said the scholarships are wasted on them because they will never play again. Does anyone doubt Howdy?

Impossible. Howdy said the scholarships are wasted on them because they will never play again. Does anyone doubt Howdy?
You're so dishonest, it's sad.

I only shared what Doogie with KSTP reported which was that Ihnen's recovery was going well and Fox's wasn't. The fact that Ihnen is cleared and Fox still isn't months later would indicate that report was accurate.

I never said Fox was a wasted scholarship or that I disliked him in any way. On the contrary, he was great at Northern, I was glad when they signed him and it would be great if he could contribute this year, even if it's still far from certain that he will.

You're so dishonest, it's sad.

I only shared what Doogie with KSTP reported which was that Ihnen's recovery was going well and Fox's wasn't. The fact that Ihnen is cleared and Fox still isn't months later would indicate that report was accurate.

I never said Fox was a wasted scholarship or that I disliked him in any way. On the contrary, he was great at Northern, I was glad when they signed him and it would be great if he could contribute this year, even if it's still far from certain that he will.
Dude, what you said is enshrined forever on the Internet. I’m surprised you’re embarrassed by what you posted. The doctors, trainers, athletes, and coaches all have to clear then. Not Doogie and Howdy. Lol!

I have harvested a dozen crows. I have 1 reserved for you. Yum yum.

He may well start at SF and be Garcia’s relief when, rest or fouls necessitate. We have a bevy of talented 3s for every occasion. I Garcia plays much at the 5. Wilson will be fine when he gets his sea legs. The OOC games should provide that. I’m sure GWG and Howdy will agree.

He may well start at SF and be Garcia’s relief when, rest or fouls necessitate. We have a bevy of talented 3s for every occasion. I Garcia plays much at the 5. Wilson will be fine when he gets his sea legs. The OOC games should provide that. I’m sure GWG and Howdy will agree.
You are predicting that Fox may start at 3? or Ihnen?

Not predicting. Citing an example. CBJ and staff have great options and who we play, how we play will effect that. Our front court provides awesome combinations to put together but that requires a lot of court sa act and knowing each well enough to have the team playing by instinct and not deliberation. That is a lot of work to do, but a must to be able to play beyond your perceived limits. Positionless basketball is a wide open term.

Last edited:

seriously - If Ihnen and Fox are able to contribute, that does give the Gophers a lot more depth than we have seen for the last two years.

My hope is that Johnson uses those players to do more situational match-ups: go big against a big team; go small against a smaller, quicker opponent; put more ball-handlers on the court if the other team is pressing, etc.

just don't do the Tubby Smith line-change for substitutions. be smart - be situational.

Top Bottom