If you complain about conservative coordinators

Some guy

Reaction score
You’re going to have to decide if you hate it enough to fire fleck. Even if he fires his coordinators. He is going to replace them with more conservative coordinators. He is the 2nd most conservative coach in the conference behind Ferentz.

Yes - very clearly not the coordinators. Who runs a nickel defense in the B1G West? Every team you need to beat likes to run the ball. Yet we have 5 defensive backs and two very slow linebackers.

Yes - very clearly not the coordinators. Who runs a nickel defense in the B1G West? Every team you need to beat likes to run the ball. Yet we have 5 defensive backs and two very slow linebackers.
The quality of some of the players on defense is a larger problem than the scheme in my mind.
Iowa is super vanilla but makes tackles and doesn’t get beat.

Winfield covered up for a lot of mediocre play in front of him at times.

Fleck recruits have been great offensively but I haven’t seen it yet on defense

The quality of some of the players on defense is a larger problem than the scheme in my mind.
Iowa is super vanilla but makes tackles and doesn’t get beat.

Winfield covered up for a lot of mediocre play in front of him at times.

Fleck recruits have been great offensively but I haven’t seen it yet on defense
I think it's a combination. The defense Minnesota is running works fine but only with quick linebackers. Everytime a team throws / runs outside of the hashes, we get treated to watching one of Minnesota's two lumbering LBs futility trying to close a gap that they have no chance of reaching while the corners try to shed blocks and get back up to help. Leaves a lot of open field for any team with a remotely decent running back.

I think it's a combination. The defense Minnesota is running works fine but only with quick linebackers. Everytime a team throws / runs outside of the hashes, we get treated to watching one of Minnesota's two lumbering LBs futility trying to close a gap that they have no chance of reaching while the corners try to shed blocks and get back up to help. Leaves a lot of open field for any team with a remotely decent running back.
YES! I don't care if he knows every defensive call and recites them in his sleep...MSM is not athletic enough to be an every down LB in the B1G, I'm sorry. I'm desperately wanting to see Lindenberg and more of Gordon and Willis. Even if they have no clue where to line up or which direction to go they need to be out there learning IMO.

I agree with Fleck being too conservative and that's likely not to change with new coordinators. I do feel like Ciarrocca was very clearly better than Sanford though as his run/pass mix and general play selection was more sound (even if we were painfully and wrongly too conservative in many situations under him and Fleck too). I hated using Bateman inside last year as a big picture decision that was like Sanford's. This year I've seen calls that have clearly had no chance to work (end around to Jackson today, the wildcat that was stuffed on 3rd down in the first half).

Defensively, I worry we have a teaching problem. They often look confused out there. The look today with the stacked Wide receivers seemed to give them major issues with assignments as one example. We don't tackle well and we didn't tackle well last year either.

Top Bottom