If Mitchell Jr., Hawkins, Ola-Joseph, Garcia, & Payne all return next year...we could be good.

EasyThere Pilgrim

Reaction score
What are the chances that these 5 all return?

My favorite thing is to watch a good team with the starting lineup all returning the next year. It's happened twice in my lifetime. Haskins' Final 8 (should have been Final 4) and Final Four teams.

Well Tubby did return our top 9 players from an NCAA team. Plus added Royce White & Trevor Mbakwe. But this was a crazy case of team morale going in the tank...after the 2 huge additions were both kicked out. So the team stagnated.

I’m thinking Garcia likely leaves for the pros after this year. How much higher can his stock go after this year? Not that I wouldn’t love it if he stayed but kind of doubt it myself.

Still really hard to predict where this year’s team will end up, but perhaps we’ll see a repeat of the 2016-17 team into the following season (ideally without the collapse).

The year before, they had a 2 win Big 10 season. 2016 comes along and they get HOT in conference play to finish fourth. They return all significant contributors except for Akeem Springs and have one of the most anticipated basketball seasons in a while.

I’d love nothing more than to see the Barn get back to where it peaked with the Miami game that year. It hasn’t fully reached that level since.

Still really hard to predict where this year’s team will end up, but perhaps we’ll see a repeat of the 2016-17 team into the following season (ideally without the collapse).

The year before, they had a 2 win Big 10 season. 2016 comes along and they get HOT in conference play to finish fourth. They return all significant contributors except for Akeem Springs and have one of the most anticipated basketball seasons in a while.

I’d love nothing more than to see the Barn get back to where it peaked with the Miami game that year. It hasn’t fully reached that level since.
That would be nice.

But then I want to return our entire starting lineup the next year.

What are the chances that these 5 all return?

My favorite thing is to watch a good team with the starting lineup all returning the next year. It's happened twice in my lifetime. Haskins' Final 8 (should have been Final 4) and Final Four teams.
I would love it, but been a Gopher fan since the 60's so I have to say, "Easy there." Seen too many implosions and that was before NIL and the portal.

I'd put the chances of returning at:

JOJ: 80%
Payne 75%
Hawkins 60%
Mitchell Jr. 60%
Garcia: 40%

All of them: 9%. Just a reality of the transfer portal era.

Top Bottom